Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this a scam?

Views : 4306

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 09:03   #31
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This car is not for me. I’m still keen on an Amazon, but it won’t be this one. It was certainly worth asking the question about this motor car - and may I thank forum members for being so helpful.

Best wishes,

Alan
So what happened to the PV544 you were thinking about a few months back?

If you are a larger / tall person (like me) I think you've got a better chance of being comfortable getting in, being in and getting out of it; Amazons look great (to my MK1 design eye ball) but when ever I've been along side them I've thought they look a bit dinky for my proportions...

...I do see the advantage of the estate version of the Amazon, however, as it potentially gives a bit more space but would argue that something like a Mercedes W123 estate (if you can find one that hasn't had the **** kicked out of it) would be far superior for similar money.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 11:03   #32
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
So what happened to the PV544 you were thinking about a few months back?

If you are a larger / tall person (like me) I think you've got a better chance of being comfortable getting in, being in and getting out of it; Amazons look great (to my MK1 design eye ball) but when ever I've been along side them I've thought they look a bit dinky for my proportions...

...I do see the advantage of the estate version of the Amazon, however, as it potentially gives a bit more space but would argue that something like a Mercedes W123 estate (if you can find one that hasn't had the **** kicked out of it) would be far superior for similar money.
Good morning, 'Army',

If you prefer a PV but need an estate, there is always a Duett ...

How about this one in Malmo at SEK 157K (c£13.2K) ?

https://www.ooyyo.com/sweden/c=CDA31...83654829.html/

or, if the preference is for a 'project', this one in Stockholm at SEK 40K (c£3.4K) ?

https://www.ooyyo.com/sweden/c=CDA31...09134270.html/

Regards, John.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 11:46   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm still not convinced this isn't a scam Alan. The fact the DVLA don't recognise the reg number on either the tax or MoT databases smells bad to me, granted other memebrs have had knowledge of the car in the flesh but unless i'm mistaken, we're 2 years on from the last known contact.

A lot can happen in 2 years! Some oyk could have downloaded the photos and bided his time until the car had (possibly) been scrapped due to lack of interest. Then said oyk comes up with a plausible reason why he's not available, neither is the V5 and expects you to cough up based on photos only.
Once the funds are in his account, he sends a link to the postcode where the car is and you trundle along with a trailer to collect it (no keys either i expect?) only to find a Volvo shaped hole where your new project should be.

If it was a pile of dung creating the smell i'm getting from this so far, said pile would be the size of Everest!

I'd say save your money, if you really want an Amazon, wait until one comes along that is firstly in better condition, secondly a bit closer to home (so you don't potentially waste money viewing and/or collecting with a trailer) and thirdly, one that doesn't have so many things against it.

Yes, those things could be circumstantial and it may be a genuine car and sale and i could be wrong. However i've seen similar scams many times on a variety of cars from the last available Chevette GL auto saloon, a Datsun C210 Skyline and several others - usually a little "off-beat" for the majority of people which obviously minimises the risk of being found out until after the scam is complete.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 12:10   #34
old fart
Master Member

There's a nice looking Amazon estate on e-bay, but it's under car spares, not cars, for some reason.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 12:17   #35
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm still not convinced this isn't a scam Alan. The fact the DVLA don't recognise the reg number on either the tax or MoT databases smells bad to me, granted other memebrs have had knowledge of the car in the flesh but unless i'm mistaken, we're 2 years on from the last known contact.

A lot can happen in 2 years! Some oyk could have downloaded the photos and bided his time until the car had (possibly) been scrapped due to lack of interest. Then said oyk comes up with a plausible reason why he's not available, neither is the V5 and expects you to cough up based on photos only.
Once the funds are in his account, he sends a link to the postcode where the car is and you trundle along with a trailer to collect it (no keys either i expect?) only to find a Volvo shaped hole where your new project should be.

If it was a pile of dung creating the smell i'm getting from this so far, said pile would be the size of Everest!

I'd say save your money, if you really want an Amazon, wait until one comes along that is firstly in better condition, secondly a bit closer to home (so you don't potentially waste money viewing and/or collecting with a trailer) and thirdly, one that doesn't have so many things against it.

Yes, those things could be circumstantial and it may be a genuine car and sale and i could be wrong. However i've seen similar scams many times on a variety of cars from the last available Chevette GL auto saloon, a Datsun C210 Skyline and several others - usually a little "off-beat" for the majority of people which obviously minimises the risk of being found out until after the scam is complete.
You might be right Dave, but in this case I'd already decided the car was not for me based on the evidence. The value of this forum has been demonstrated again though - it was well worth asking the question about it being a scam or not, then at least two members had seen the car (admittedly 2 years ago) and another put me on the trail of the thread from these pages about its previous life.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 12:30   #36
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... you are right about the prevalence of scams Dave, particularly on the internet. Someone tried to pull a clumsy scam on me regarding a motorbike I'm selling on eBay just a few days ago. It was a classified ad, someone got in touch asking whether they could pay by PayPal (which would have been fine by me, but I became suspicious). A few hours later I received an eBay message saying they had transferred the money and I should check my email inbox (particularly the spam mail box - even more suspicious) for the details.

Sure enough in my spam mail box there was an email entitled 'You've got money' and purporting to be from PayPal (actually an alias from 'customerverifiedcenter@accountant.com' - much more suspicious). I read the email with the preview software without opening it and could see it claimed to have transferred £1950 (the price of the bike was £1500) and asking me to send back £400 via MoneyGram with £50 to cover charges.

It was clearly a scam, and one would have to be a little foolish to fall for it (which does not mean that will not happen). I've reported it to the plod at ActionFraud, but I rather suspect it will go in the bin.

Ho hum.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 13:00   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... you are right about the prevalence of scams Dave, particularly on the internet. Someone tried to pull a clumsy scam on me regarding a motorbike I'm selling on eBay just a few days ago. It was a classified ad, someone got in touch asking whether they could pay by PayPal (which would have been fine by me, but I became suspicious). A few hours later I received an eBay message saying they had transferred the money and I should check my email inbox (particularly the spam mail box - even more suspicious) for the details.

Sure enough in my spam mail box there was an email entitled 'You've got money' and purporting to be from PayPal (actually an alias from 'customerverifiedcenter@accountant.com' - much more suspicious). I read the email with the preview software without opening it and could see it claimed to have transferred £1950 (the price of the bike was £1500) and asking me to send back £400 via MoneyGram with £50 to cover charges.

It was clearly a scam, and one would have to be a little foolish to fall for it (which does not mean that will not happen). I've reported it to the plod at ActionFraud, but I rather suspect it will go in the bin.

Ho hum.
You're right Alan, that is a clumsy one but sadly so many people would be caught up in the excitement of having sold their item that they wouldn't stop to see the obvious red flags - if the "buyer" had a genuine PayPal account, you can simply do a partial refund without incurring any charges so no need to use a Moneygorm account or money for you to cover the costs involved. Also if he had the funds available to send the extra through with the PayPal payment, why didn't he just send the £400 in Moneygorm format to wherever himself, would have been quicker and easier.

From experience some years back when my credit card got scammed, ActionFraud don't usually bother investigating anything under ~£2k because it's not worth the manpower and they are too busy investigating larger frauds. Usually if there's an element of insurance (such as the credit card company reimbursing the victim) they will issue a crime reference number and that will be about it, unless it turns up as part of a much wider operation based on many small-scale scams rather than one big one. Sad but true and the amount i quoted may have changed now but i'm sure they said £2k at the time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:38   #38
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
From experience some years back when my credit card got scammed, ActionFraud don't usually bother investigating anything under ~£2k because it's not worth the manpower and they are too busy investigating larger frauds. Usually if there's an element of insurance (such as the credit card company reimbursing the victim) they will issue a crime reference number and that will be about it, unless it turns up as part of a much wider operation based on many small-scale scams rather than one big one. Sad but true and the amount i quoted may have changed now but i'm sure they said £2k at the time.
I'm pretty sure you are right about ActionFraud Dave, I wasn't really expecting a plod to turn up on my doorstep to investigate, but I was a bit disappointed that there was no means to forward the scam email. It probably is worth reporting this stuff just to help build the statistical picture, but it seems so prevalent that only large cases are investigated.

It is hard to imagine anyone being taken in by a crude scam, but I suppose that must happen from time to time, otherwise the scammers wouldn't bother.

Nothing has really changed over the years, once it was door to door, then telephone, and now scammers operate over the internet. It is just human nature and will always happen.

Ho hum
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 17:41   #39
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good morning, 'Army',

If you prefer a PV but need an estate, there is always a Duett ...

How about this one in Malmo at SEK 157K (c£13.2K) ?

https://www.ooyyo.com/sweden/c=CDA31...83654829.html/

or, if the preference is for a 'project', this one in Stockholm at SEK 40K (c£3.4K) ?

https://www.ooyyo.com/sweden/c=CDA31...09134270.html/

Regards, John.
I think you are right a Duett would have been the ideal purchase but as it turned out I ended up with a PV.

I can't say why that happened really - I was actually looking for a MK1 Transit van at the time...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 00:07   #40
tmulchro

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
There's a nice looking Amazon estate on e-bay, but it's under car spares, not cars, for some reason.
Drove from London to see this ebay car in the Lake District today (6 hours each way in the rain) Despite the guy who is selling it ( for his father.... ) telling me it was absolutely rust free....
It is a rust bucket, loads of filler, fibre glass over the inner wings, obvious holes, bad welding... The bucket loads of NOS spares he claimed to have were largely rubbish too....

Save yourselves a journey.... its so not worth it....
tmulchro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmulchro For This Useful Post: