Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant leak front centre of car

Views : 8086

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:50   #61
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
That is surprising!

Sounds like you're on the case and know what your doing with though so I'm sure you'll have it running spot on in no time.

Yes I can sympathise with the tyres, my 360 has similar profile tyres on 13" wheels haha.
I learnt to drive in a 340 1.7 GLT. In the winter. Early education in tail-happy driving dynamics. I remember a guy turning up to a trackday in a really stealthy 360 still on 13s and just rinsing everyone, I think he'd have given Juha Kankkunen a run for his money.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 12:19   #62
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
I learnt to drive in a 340 1.7 GLT. In the winter. Early education in tail-happy driving dynamics. I remember a guy turning up to a trackday in a really stealthy 360 still on 13s and just rinsing everyone, I think he'd have given Juha Kankkunen a run for his money.
a 300 with tail happiness is down to tyres .
With some grippy premium tyres it works at it was designed to with it's 50 - 50 weight distribution like a porsche 924 for example ...
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 12:54   #63
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
With some grippy premium tyres it works at it was designed to with it's 50 - 50 weight distribution like a porsche 924 for example ...
I can definitely agree with that, I had 15x7 wheels with 195/50 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002 tyres and I couldn't get the rear end to kick out at all, the handling was ridiculous how good it was with those wheels and tyres.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 16:13   #64
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I can definitely agree with that, I had 15x7 wheels with 195/50 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002 tyres and I couldn't get the rear end to kick out at all, the handling was ridiculous how good it was with those wheels and tyres.
Exactly ALL the 300's I have seen have seen for the last 30 years since production ended have had atrocious tyres on them and grossly underinflated .
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 16:50   #65
Dippydog
Premier Member

Only just been reading this thread and while not particularly adding to the solution I'd like to put the record straight re-comments about the Jag XJ.
The X300 was the last of the straight six engined XJ it was the X308 that had the Nikasil lined V8 engines which suffered from short journeys and high sulphur content in the fuel at the time.Gearboxes also went to "sealed for life" and therefoore suffered from lack of proper maintenance.V8 also suffered timing chain tensioner issues[they were initially plastic,upgraded to a plastic/metal type which were nearly as bad and finally fixed when the 4.2 engine capacity replaced the 4.0] Only the early engines had Nikasil linings it was soon remedied by engines having steel liners instead.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:04   #66
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Or in my case, testosterone, a heavy right foot, poor clutch control, and living in Southampton where every roundabout is covered with a heady mix of diesel leaking from artics out of the docks and avgas from the airport. The guy who I saw driving one at a track day had it absolutely dancing, poetry in motion. They were/are popular with the euro drift crowd for a while I believe?
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:58   #67
kiloran

Just to close the circle and join the dots on this thread, here's the rebuild thread in all its glory - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319771
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 16:16   #68
940volvoman
Master Member

There's one more thing to consider when moving away from the 940.

The turning circle.

If you live in a place like I do with lots of mini roundabouts Front wheel drive cars in particular are terrible for manoeuvring around these. My 940 is perfect for a U turn.

The late V70's are better than the earlier ones,I believe.

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post: