Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026264

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2021, 23:10   #2591
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I’m thinking the spring would be a good time.
:-)
Late winter - early spring - whichever works best for you but gives you a bit of space before the summer to iron out any wrinkles.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 18:10   #2592
Othen
Premier Member

Regular readers may recall the RB's wonky smile:

... caused by the LH headlamp wiper motor parking at the top, rather than the bottom of its stroke. This was discussed early on in this thread (post 519 I think) and my theory was that someone had fitted a RH motor to the passenger's side - actually after checking I found that the correct side motor (they are marked L and R) was fitted, but that it must be faulty.

I was fortunate enough to acquire a pair of untested 1970s wiper motors - thank you for your great generosity Bobnorms - yet again it shows the value of this marvellous forum. I tested them (simple job with a 12v battery) and found the RH motor to operate perfectly, but the LH motor had the same problem as the one already fitted to the RB. Someone had previously removed the back (clearly not the manufacturer's intention that should be possible).

Last edited by Othen; Jul 25th, 2021 at 18:51.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 18:25   #2593
Othen
Premier Member

... for some reason the forum editor does not like me posting at the moment, so I'll try to continue the story here:

so, I could either buy another LH motor, or I could disassemble this one to see if it may be fixed - or I could live with the RB's wonky (but otherwise charming) smile ;-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 25th, 2021 at 18:33.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 18:31   #2594
Othen
Premier Member

... following on: I wonder whether anyone has any experience of disassembling one of these units? It appears to be a mostly mechanically controlled switching unit - not all that complicated but rather delicate for my big fingers :-)

Last edited by Othen; Jul 25th, 2021 at 18:47.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 23:00   #2595
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... following on: I wonder whether anyone has any experience of disassembling one of these units? It appears to be a mostly mechanically controlled switching unit - not all that complicated but rather delicate for my big fingers :-)
I have several thoughts Alan but i've also had quite a long tiring day, i'll try and collect those thoughts into some sort of coherence overnight and type them up in the morning. Should be a simple fix if my guess (leading to said incoherent thoughts) is correct.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 06:13   #2596
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I have several thoughts Alan but i've also had quite a long tiring day, i'll try and collect those thoughts into some sort of coherence overnight and type them up in the morning. Should be a simple fix if my guess (leading to said incoherent thoughts) is correct.
That would be kind Dave.

The issue is that the red crank (in the photo above) is in its parked position now, and rotates anti-clockwise when energised (with the red and black wires, red is switched, black is permanent 12v), so the mechanism always translates this to a downwards first motion for the wiper arm. It would appear (to me) that the red crank is parking about 180 degrees from where it should - I have not disassembled the unit yet, but it looks like something mechanical is not properly synchronised. I'm guessing that is why the back of the unit has been removed previously (it is clearly designed not to be removed outside of the factory).
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 10:46   #2597
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That would be kind Dave.

The issue is that the red crank (in the photo above) is in its parked position now, and rotates anti-clockwise when energised (with the red and black wires, red is switched, black is permanent 12v), so the mechanism always translates this to a downwards first motion for the wiper arm. It would appear (to me) that the red crank is parking about 180 degrees from where it should - I have not disassembled the unit yet, but it looks like something mechanical is not properly synchronised. I'm guessing that is why the back of the unit has been removed previously (it is clearly designed not to be removed outside of the factory).
You've more or less gathered my thoughts there Alan! If you can dismantle it enough to confirm the park switch is operated (disconnecting the park signal from the motor) then rotate the red crank (you'll probably find corresponding alignment marks for the Park position) then put it all back together, you should have it where it should be.
There appears to be a notch in the edge of the crank aperture fairly near the pinion on the end of the wiper shaft - also a line on the crank that is currently about 180deg out from it. I suspect if you get those lined up in the park position things will all be good :

There's a little yellow circle on each of those marks to show what i mean.

You'll probably find a small circlip/E-clip on the wiper shaft, if you remove that i think you'll be able to withdraw the motor/gearbox assembly. In all likelihood, the motor has a worm on the end to drive a gear which will have the parking switch cam on it. In turn this gear will drive (1:1 ratio) the crank to give 75deg of wiper shaft movement (as denoted by the 75deg inscription on the crank) which will push the rack back and forth turning the wiper pinion.

Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:44   #2598
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You've more or less gathered my thoughts there Alan! If you can dismantle it enough to confirm the park switch is operated (disconnecting the park signal from the motor) then rotate the red crank (you'll probably find corresponding alignment marks for the Park position) then put it all back together, you should have it where it should be.
There appears to be a notch in the edge of the crank aperture fairly near the pinion on the end of the wiper shaft - also a line on the crank that is currently about 180deg out from it. I suspect if you get those lined up in the park position things will all be good :

There's a little yellow circle on each of those marks to show what i mean.

You'll probably find a small circlip/E-clip on the wiper shaft, if you remove that i think you'll be able to withdraw the motor/gearbox assembly. In all likelihood, the motor has a worm on the end to drive a gear which will have the parking switch cam on it. In turn this gear will drive (1:1 ratio) the crank to give 75deg of wiper shaft movement (as denoted by the 75deg inscription on the crank) which will push the rack back and forth turning the wiper pinion.
Many thanks Dave,

I rather suspect someone has had a go at this previously - hence the back being prised off and there being nothing (circlip or whatever) to stop the shaft being pushed through. I wonder what the problem was that drove someone to start taking it apart previously? The motor works, and the mechanism seems to do as it is supposed to, just offset by about 180 degrees.

I have nothing to lose from taking this one apart in that it was free (thank you again Bob) and I have another one that works on the RB. I'm pretty sure you are right in that it is just a question of carefully disassembling the unit and realigning the park switch - I had not noticed those two marks that you highlighted, and you may well be right about them indicating the correct alignment for the unit.

I'll have a go at it over the next few days, it will be entirely in keeping with the RB's ethos if I can fix the unit and even up the RB's smile.

Alan
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 22:44   #2599
Othen
Premier Member

Default Has anyone out there wrapped a 240?

Good eve chaps,

This may be a very silly idea, but I’m going to air it anyway.

I’ve just been watching an episode of ‘Flipping Bangers’ (great TV) in which Will and Gus wrap a MR2 in a nice blue colour for £250. It occurred to me that the RB would be much easier because it is three big boxes with no curves.

My question is: has anyone out there ever wrapped a 244 (or any other 240)? If so how did it come out? I’m a bit tempted to get a £250 roll of dark metallic green vinyl and get Clarkie to give me a hand wrapping the RB one day before the end of summer.

Have I had too many fizzy drinks?

Alan
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 23:02   #2600
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Good eve chaps,

This may be a very silly idea, but I’m going to air it anyway.

I’ve just been watching an episode of ‘Flipping Bangers’ (great TV) in which Will and Gus wrap a MR2 in a nice blue colour for £250. It occurred to me that the RB would be much easier because it is three big boxes with no curves.

My question is: has anyone out there ever wrapped a 244 (or any other 240)? If so how did it come out? I’m a bit tempted to get a £250 roll of dark metallic green vinyl and get Clarkie to give me a hand wrapping the RB one day before the end of summer.

Have I had too many fizzy drinks?

Alan
I would retire for the evening and take Horlicks if i were you Alan, have another think in the morning as to whether you condier it a good idea still.

If you've ever applied large self-adhesive decals or tried tinting your windows with film or similar, think about how that went.

If it went smoothly (in all senses of the word) then maybe give it a go. If it didn't and you ended up with some scrap material, imagine how you'd feel if that was £250 worth of scrap material!

Also worth a look :

https://youtu.be/TXZZCRcGLY8

Disclaimer - she can be a potty-mouth at times!

Also something else to bear in mind - if the bodywork isn't absolutely glass-smooth, it WILL show up under the film