Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flat battery after being unused for only 2 days.

Views : 632

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 14:37   #1
GrahamHR

Default Flat battery after being unused for only 2 days.

My V60 Polestar is getting a new set of tyres today. I went to open it to get the key for the locking wheel nuts, no go, battery was completely flat. The battery and charging has always seemed strange, the flat battery was a complete surprise though. I normally keep it on a smart charger.

Anyhow getting in with the emergency key in the passenger side front door handle was straightforward. Next problem; all other doors and tailgate still locked and my emergency battery starter pack was under the boot floor!

Luckily, I have a few spare large 12V boat batteries and could jump start the car. As soon as the extra battery was connected, the alarm siren sounded. Switched off with the remote key. It's now on the smart charger.

For months I have had an "alarm malfunction, service required" message on the dash and diagnostics indicated a BUS connection error. The error code could not be cleared. That dash message has now gone and the error code, whilst still there, was cleared as could others that hadn't shown up as a problem ! I think the moral of the story is that if there's a problem, disconnecting/ reconnecting the battery is the first thing to do !
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 15:50   #2
glynh

Had a battery fail in a previous car, fine in the morning, got home, went to go back out a few hours later and totally dead.

electronic handbrake, so couldnt release it to move to get the other car to get a new battery!

jumpstart from recovery, and new battery fixed it.

in hindsight there were hints it was failing (longer to start/etc) but it was pretty much a fine at 11am, nothing at 2pm.

thought the volvo battery was kaput, no stop start even after a long trip, but after several charges and use it is fine now.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 18:01   #3
GrahamHR

I spoke too soon ! By today, the "alarm malfunction" message had reappeared. No error codes found by my code reader. Disconnecting/ reconnecting the battery ( +ve) got the message to disappear. Has anyone any idea what is going on ? I don't really want to disconnect/ reconnect the battery every day, but it is easy enough though.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 16:54   #4
GDay

In my Aston Martin, which had a Volvo alarm module, this message came up when the battery in the alarm module went weak, did go away but kept comming back. Only two remedies possible: change of the whole alarm module by AM or some DIY replacing the battery, which was available on the internet. This was a bit of a job to open the module but if you are god in DIY doable.
Mabe this info helps you.
Cheers
Christian
GDay is offline   Reply With Quote