Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 towbar identification

Views : 2879

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2021, 17:10   #1
philroche
VOC Member

Default Volvo 240 towbar identification

Hi all,

I'm finally getting my dream 240 estate

7nkubptf48871.jpg

and in prep I have bought a tow bar on ebay which I will clean up and eventually fit.

I am however struggling to understand what one part of the new tow bar is for. Any ideas?

e26uzafv38871.jpg

155e9u0y38871.jpg

6s0e13h248871.jpg

Also is it true that all 240s/245s are pre drilled for tow bars? Seller reckons this one has not been pre drilled?

Thanks
philroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 17:47   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello.

Welcome to the forum.

I think someone has added a piece to that tow-bar. Probably to fit a stabiliser. If so you won't need that piece.

The main towbar fixing on a 240 is two large bolts. They are longer versions of two bolts that are part of the car without the towbar. You can access the bolt heads from inside the car. If the car still has the original bolts you can get longer ones of the same quality specification from your usual fixing supplier.

Later 240s use also some smaller machine screws. I see your towbar has those smaller holes. The car typically has tapped holes for those screws. Again, your usual fixings supplier will almost certainly be able to supply.

I apply copper based grease to tow-bar fixings threads.

The 240 is a superb tow car.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 30th, 2021 at 17:49.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:36   #3
philroche
VOC Member

@Stephen Thank you.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 12:56   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's one of several slightly different versions available.
I've got one looking very like that, but mine has an extra leg in the middle which bolts to the underside of the boot locker floor. Also mine ends in the standard 2-hole vertical plate allowing for bolting on a standard tow ball, or a drop plate to be able to adjust the tow height. Yours has a fixed tow ball so is non-adjustable. Whether that matters depends on what you want to tow - I've had a variety of trailers, dinghy trailers and a caravan all needing different heights.
There was another original Volvo kind that had four bolt holes with non-standard spacings for bolting on a special Volvo tow-ball extension. I think the point was the projecting tow ball extension could be removed so careless pedestrians didn't crack their shins when skirting the rear of the car.

The main bolts holding all kinds on to the chassis structure double up as the bolts securing the collapsible bumper structure. If you undo the big nuts/bolts from inside the boot you can replace with slightly longer bolts which secure the tow bar.
The two smaller holes on each side need bolts of the right size which screw into pre-tapped holes on the car. These otherwise have no purpose so will be rusty and choked with debris, underseal etc, so need careful cleaning out.
A good way of cleaning out a rusty thread is to make two hacksaw cuts along a spare bolt of the right size and cautiously run it in and out with copious oil before you try and force in the securing bolts.

It's worth carefully cleaning up the metalwork and sealing the contact faces with waxoil or something gungy or it forms a trap and rusts the chassis structure.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:49   #5
philroche
VOC Member

@Clifford Thank you. Good advice.

I managed to find original fixings with spacer on ebay which are on their way to me now.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 13:25   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Clifford. Good advice as always. Recently, for cleaning screw threaded holes I start with teat tube brushes. So far so good.

Philroche, Well done. What is the spacer please?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 16:42   #7
philroche
VOC Member

@Stephen ksnip_20210707-154045.jpg The spacers for the longer bolts
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 13:41   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Philroche. I'm interested where you bought those fixings, how long are those long bolts an how long are those spacers? Please.

I'm not aware of spacers and I'm puzzled where they would go on the bolts.

By the way there are two towbars on eBay. One looks like the fold-away which is the type I've got. One is a removable swan neck. The prices are very different from each other ...

My fold-away towbar is neat and has given a good stable tow when used. So far.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 15:48   #9
philroche
VOC Member

I got them on ebay.com (USA) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184856650907 . The price is silly considering what it is but it is all OEM.

I am not sure of the lengths yet - still in transit.

The spacers are for the longer bolts so that you are securing against the chassis.
The Following User Says Thank You to philroche For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 11:51   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello Philroche

Did the fixings arrive OK? Are you happy with them? And, have you measured the bolt sizes please?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell