Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

At an oily crossroads with our V60 D3

Views : 1068

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:20   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcountryjim View Post
Personally I would keep topping up with oil.

All the advice on here is good but I struggle with the option of trading in because the problem is passed on to the next owner who is excited by a purchase of their next car and they inherit a problem?

Having said that I would not hesitate at that option because the dealer would presumably offer a warranty, but excessive oil consumption might be excluded.
Many thanks.

The trade-in aspect does raise questions that are quite complex.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:22   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There's always We Buy Any Car etc. I see it as slightly more ethical disposing of a car with issues through them.

If you do PX and it's on your conscience, I'd try at a main dealer or car supermarket, they are more likely to auction it as WBAC do anyway. I wouldn't do it with a sole trader on whom it might have a big impact.

I wouldn't keep it though, the oil consumption issue is a symptom of a problem and it isn't going to get any better...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 19:23   #13
gillypop

I wouldn't spend that money on it. I spent over 1k on our VEA D4 on an oil leak but still has oil consumption. The other problem with these cars is the fact that they have no physical dipstick which would be fine had they not implemented in effect a binary one in software which is pretty much effing useless. I use a cheap ELM 327 bluetooth OBD with car scanner which allows level in mm. I check mine every week and top up pretty much every week. No issues so far and oil consumption has stabilised.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post: