Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thieves hacking the keyless entry system

Views : 10215

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 16:44   #1
KNVXC90

Default Thieves hacking the keyless entry system

Someone pointed me to this article today, and it lists XC90 T8 specifically.

Admittedly, the article was from Sun, but I have seen the CCTV footage of someone stealing a BMW using this hack.

I've seen things like Fob Guards available online, that block the fobs' signal.

Anyone here thought about this issue, and taken any measures to protect against this hack?
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 16:47   #2
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
Someone pointed me to this article today, and it lists XC90 T8 specifically.

Admittedly, the article was from Sun, but I have seen the CCTV footage of someone stealing a BMW using this hack.

I've seen things like Fob Guards available online, that block the fobs' signal.

Anyone here thought about this issue, and taken any measures to protect against this hack?
One reason I didn't order keyless with my new XC60.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 16:51   #3
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
One reason I didn't order keyless with my new XC60.
For XC90 Inscription, its part of standard equipment.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 17:18   #4
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
For XC90 Inscription, its part of standard equipment.
The Inscription pro comes with keyless and numerous other options that I didn't want, especially larger wheels. I did miss out on a few things I would have liked but nothing I thought I couldn't live without.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 17:20   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

has any one contacted garage or volvo customer service to asky if this is genuine article
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 17:41   #6
Bernard F

I would not lose any sleep over this one. Access is required to both the key and car at the same time and be within one metre of each.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 17:19   #7
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I would not lose any sleep over this one. Access is required to both the key and car at the same time and be within one metre of each.
That explaination only stands true for the legitmate use of the technology.

The "hack" involves boosting the signal that the car generates whenever you attempt to open the door. I've seen the video whereby its a 2-man process, One man attempts to open the door, the other walks around the house with a breadboard looking device, which is the antenna.

Depending on how good the boost is, the idea is to boost it enough so that the key picks it up whilst lying in the kitchen/bedroom etc, sends back the authorisation and the door opens.

The 1st guy gets in, and then attempts to start the car, whilst the 2nd guy again is boosting the signal. Once started, they are away. Car will continue to operate without a key until turn-off.

Can easily be defeated by storing your keys in a faraday pouch which are cheap on eBay and entirely effective. I bought one for £6. Pop my keys in it at night. At work I'm parked 1/2 miles away.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 11th, 2017 at 17:22.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 22:12   #8
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
has any one contacted garage or volvo customer service to asky if this is genuine article
I have emailed VCUK, but not sure I'll get anything concrete out of them.
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 15:19   #9
KNVXC90

Quote:
I have emailed VCUK, but not sure I'll get anything concrete out of them.
Here's what I got back from VCUK:

Thank you for your e-mail. Our response to this matter is as follows:

We are using the latest technology for our keyless system and we will continue to work to develop increasingly secure systems. That said however, it has always been the case that as fast as security systems are developed, thieves are working to find a way round, even resorting in recent memory to a more basic method of breaking into houses to steal the keys.

We recommend that all keys should be handled securely and with care. We advise customers to consider where they store their keys, aiming not to keep them in close proximity to the car.

Kind regards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 17:43   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

It's most likely to happen at home when both the fob and the car are close to each other most of the time. In almost every other situation the key and the fob are too far apart for it to work unless a thief is actually waiting/watching you park. A motorway service station would seem a good place for this.

Many people leave their keys near the front door making it very easy for thieves to be within range of the fob's transmitter. A simple solution is to keep your fob somewhere in the house which isn't within easy range or place it in a container that acts as a Faraday cage. A microwave oven would be ideal except that I'd think it would lead to many cooked (and knackered) fobs!

There's no denying it's a problem but is it any more widespread than thieves breaking into your house and stealing the keys or you getting mugged? I don't lose any sleep over it as I like the convenience of keyless operation and in any case my car is in a locked garage at night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: