Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

external temperature sensor/gauge.

Views : 675

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 18:12   #1
940volvoman
Master Member

Default external temperature sensor/gauge.

A couple of weeks ago I was 'chatting' with someone here who was going to fit their external temperature sensor with the possibility of taking some photos of the cable/connector.

I think it may have been Rolling Thunder, but not sure
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 19:18   #2
Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was 'chatting' with someone here who was going to fit their external temperature sensor with the possibility of taking some photos of the cable/connector.

95 onwards cars are pre wired for it IIRC
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mertz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 21:12   #3
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Sensor looks like this, so look around the battery/headlight area for a connector to fit it.

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 23:53   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

Provided you have the right parts this is a very easy job on a late 940 which is pre-wired.

You need the external sensor that Baggy has pictured. Part number 1347010.

For a 940 you need gauge part number 9442080 with six wires and a white connector, as per my first picture.

What you do NOT need is part number 9442081 with five wires and a black connector. These are for the 960 Mk2 and S/V90 Mk1. It won’t fit and is not a straightforward conversion.

To fit the gauge, remove the instrument cluster, locate the blanking plate on the lower left hand corner, undo the two screws and remove it. Use the same screws to attach your new gauge in position being careful to seat it correctly in the cluster. Then find the unused white female connector that fits the male one on your gauge and connect them together.

If you are using a secondhand unit replace the 1.2W backlight, part number 989806 (but widely available elsewhere) before refitting the cluster.

If previously unused, the connector for the sensor will be taped back behind the front spoiler in the vicinity (centre-left, below the bumper) of the small, round hole into which the sensor clips. You may find it convenient to remove the radiator grill and possibly the air baffle on the left-hand side (right as you face the front) for better access and visibility. The connector will be blanked/sealed with a plug like pictures two and three. It probably isn’t a bad idea to put some dielectric grease into the connector to help protect it from the elements and aid future disassembly.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8481.jpg (88.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8482.jpg (81.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8483.jpg (106.3 KB, 9 views)
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 00:23   #5
940volvoman
Master Member

Thanks for that,Forrest.
The connector for the sensor was visible on the right hand side of the radiator until the radiator was replaced.Now I can't see it.....
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 02:44   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

If you remove the radiator grill (just squeeze and lift out the two spring clips then lift away) and the plastic air baffle which is held on by a couple of self-tapping screws you will probably find it.

Assume by the right hand side of the radiator you mean the right hand side as you stand in front of the car facing the front bumper. That is technically the left hand side of the car and is where I seem to recall it is. The terminology always confuses me too because when you’re working on the car you are usually in front of it looking back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 22:47   #7
940volvoman
Master Member

Exactly that,Forrest.
Perhaps for clarity we should refer to the left hand side of the as Nearside(UK) and the right hand side as Offside (UK)
The North American folks can simply reverse it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 09:26   #8
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Provided you have the right parts this is a very easy job on a late 940 which is pre-wired.

...Forrest's excellent explanation...

Good luck.
Is there a source of these gauges and sensors, or is it just a case of keeping an eye out for them when they come up for sale?
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:33   #9
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post

Yes it was me, sorry.

I haven't had a chance to look yet. I'm hoping to do some work on the 940 this weekend... hoping... <sigh>. I still have long covid symptoms and I'm also a carer for my disabled mother, so finding some time for myself that coincides with when I'm fit is often a challenge sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwannyUK View Post
Is there a source of these gauges and sensors, or is it just a case of keeping an eye out for them when they come up for sale?
They're NLA I'm afraid, so its a case of looking out for them and grabbing them when you see them. The going rate is currently £100 for the gauge and sensor, but that is likely to go up as they get harder to find. I bought my first one off a guy in the Phillipines IIRC, but fortunately I managed to buy one off a VOC member this time!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Apr 11th, 2024 at 12:35.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:37   #10
Forrest
VOC Member

There used to be an upgrade kit, 9166579, which included the gauge and sensor. However, this is long-since discontinued. You might strike lucky and find a new old stock kit, but more than likely you'll be looking to pull a gauge from a breaker. The sensor is still widely available new.

The gauges were standard on the top-end CD spec cars, but often suffer LCD bleed. It's really a case now of keeping an eye open on eBay, Marketplace and similar.