Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chris1Roll's return to 700 ownership

Views : 10527

Replies : 137

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 21:30   #131
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Looking good Chris, where did you get the lights from? The tail lights on my 760 are very badly crazed.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 21:42   #132
Chris1Roll

I got them from Skandix in the end.

The facelift lights seem to be much more readily available, but I specifically didn't want them, much preferring the old school square look of the originals.

The only two options for the pre-facelift lights that I have come across are either from Skandix or Nordicar, and from what I can make out, they are the same items, the lenses being made in Estonia.
Skandix were quite a bit cheaper at the point I decided to 'pull the trigger', and bizarrely the chrome ones were 20 Euros a piece less than the plain plastic trimmed ones.

If I'm honest, on (very) close inspection, you can tell they are repros - the finish on the edges of the lenses is a bit rougher -not that you can see that fitted, and the vertical black plastic dividers aren't all perfectly equidistant from the lenses either side.
But from a distance any normal person is going to be looking at them from, they look great, and originals aren't made any more, so thats that.

It also took me a minute to work out why I had very bright tail lights and no brake lights - I had to swap the single white bulb holder from right to left!
Chris1Roll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 19:46   #133
Chris1Roll

Last weekend, we went on a day trip and drove up a biggish hill.
My lowly 2.0 litre engine and 3speed+OD slushbox had no issues hauling itself up there.

Blorenge, in South Wales, was shrouded in mist when we got there, at some points you couldn't see much more than 20 yards in any direction.
It is also home to the first Geocache ever placed in Wales, which was the purpose of our trip. After finding that -which was quite satisfying given the conditions- and two others on the circular route around the mountain, we retuned to the car in the sunshine:

It only took the time for us to get our kit off when the weather started coming in again.
We took a different route down on some steep narrow roads where at some points I had the gearbox down in '1' to hold the car back.
Other than someone very nearly taking the front end off by changing lanes without looking on the M49, an uneventful journey.

Over the past couple of months there had been an increasing squeaking coming from the powers steering pump belt, but not your usual slipping belt noise, but a continuous "chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp"
Investigation revealed the pulley being misaligned with the crank, so the chirping was the belt entering the pulley at an angle:

This might also explain an entry in the service history "recover car, replace snapped p/s belt" Presumably over time it'll just chew the belt up, and I'm guessing the original owner in his 80s didn't fancy driving it with no assistance.

So this morning I decided to see if I could so something about it.

Researching to see if anyone else had the same turned up a few instances, but all the replies were "replace the bushes".
For the avoidance of doubt, there are no bushes on the power steering pump on this car!

There is no play in the pulley, and it rotates on an even plane with the pump itself (i.e. the pulley and the shaft are not bent, and the bearings are not failing)
There is an awful lot of slop around the bolt attaching the pump to the big alloy bracket mounted to the block - the bolt is a proper fit in the pumps bracket, its the hole in the big alloy bracket that seems 'too big' allowing the pump to angle as it has.

First attempt - insert semi-circles of tin can to position the bolt at the correct angle:

This got the pulleys aligned initially, but once tightened down it drifted out a bit - it was much better than before, mind.
Its not possible to get sufficient shims in place accurately and then get the bolt in, as they are covered by the pump mounting before you can insert the bolt.

Second attempt, shim the two forward mounting points on the block by slipping a washer under each point:

That's got it, pretty much:

The only disavantage I can see with this is that the belt is now just a few mm too short, so I had to walk it on by rotating the engine slightly.

Not sure whether this fix counts as bodge or genius, time will tell. Its a damn sight quieter now, at least.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 22:29   #134
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If it works and is strong enough to last a good length of time, it's a genius mod.
You can in fact buy "Shaft repair sleeves" that are pretty much what you've done there.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Pr...335/index.html

You could, if necessary, remove the bracket and have the holes machines so that firstly, they are again on the same centre and then reamed and counterbored to accept something like this :

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Pr...234/index.html

One of the flanged "top-hat" bushes each end would work well.

If you don't want to go to the cost of getting a machine shop to do it for you, find the right size plain sleeve bush, use a long drill bit to go through both ends at the same time in a pillar drill then put the bush in the freezer overnight, the bracket in the oven and then push the bush into the bracket. When the bracket cools and the bush expands, they should be tight if you use the right size drill.

You could even buy a used (worn!) bracket cheaply to repair this way, if it works (it should) then you could repair your original and either keep or sell as the start of a cottage industry.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 18:38   #135
Chris1Roll

When we went to Rustival back in March, I met a guy called Kam Srih, who runs a club called Nordik Rides, and who invited me to display the car at a meeting at The Great British Car Journey in Ambergate, Derbyshire.

Yesterday was the day, so on Friday after I picked my daughter up from school the two of us loaded the car up, brimmed it with shell V-power at the local station and set off on our road trip at about 4pm.
185 miles and 3hrs 40minutes later we rolled into the car park of the Premier Inn at Ripley, the wheels only having stopped turning to wait at a couple of roundabouts, with the fuel guage still showing well over half a tank.
After eating in the McDonalds next door, back in our room I introduced her to the cult classic film 'Tremors' before turning in for the night.

After our all you can eat breakfast, we popped to the local Sainsburys to get some lunch and then headed to the museum.
On the way an F-plate 240 pulled in front of us up ahead. "I bet thats going there" Emily said, and then - "ooh, can you smell that!" just as I noticed a slight bit of blueish smoke as it pulled away that I commented on - "Well, It could have 300k on it for all we know"
The reality, as it turned out, was that the mileage on that car once it was parked up, was 833,269 miles! I think its allowed to smoke a little bit at that age!

I didn't take that many pictures for some reason, but this was taken by a professional photographer (who has kindly given permission for us to use the 'facebook resolution' photos) as we drove in:

and a video with us arriving on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAdy9V7Y3s

After a good few hours walking around the cars and getting into conversation with some really nice people, including JLiddy of this forum, we went over to the museum itself.
Smaller than the museum at Gaydon, they still had a lot of cars packed in, and a very good interactive audio tour to take you round the display. We only spent about an hour and a quarter in there, I reckon we'd both have been happy to have had at least another hour to look at all the detail.
The other feature of the museum is that you can - for a fee - actually drive some of the cars there. Definitely one to come back to.

When people started to disperse, with a long drive ahead of us we nipped back to the Sainsburys again to get some more drinks and then I bottled it and refilled the tank again with their Super Unleaded in case the guage had got stuck or something. Turns out it hadn't, and on the run up the car had returned 32.2 mpg!

Another 185 miles back with Emily in charge of the playlist, we only hit a little traffic getting back at a sensible time for tea.

The car ran faultlessly (as expected) with only a moments mild panic when an awful noise started coming from (from my useless directional hearing perspective) the fuel pump area. As it turned out what had actually happened was my water bottle that was lying on the handbrake had shifted position and was squeaking against the centre console!
As I said to Emily (stolen from someone else) "Taking a road trip in a modern car is like going to the football and seeing a 0:0 draw. Taking a roadtrip in something 35 years old is like going to the football and getting to see a 5:5 thriller - the end result is the same but at any point you just never know what is going to happen".

Also rolled over to all the 8's, conveniently enough as we passed through the local industrial estate about 5 miles from home so I could pull into a car park to get a picture.

Only another 744,381 to catch up to that 240!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 20:26   #136
360beast
Go redblock or go home

There's not many other cars in the planet that would do over 500k miles and still be useable let alone over 800k!

It sounds like you've had a great time Chris, here's hoping the next 744381 miles are just as enjoyable.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 21:48   #137
Chris1Roll

Worked out earlier that at my current annual mileage I think I would be 142!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:07   #138
J liddy

Default 940 tic auto 304000 miles

hi Chris very good to meet you on Saturday. Hope to see you at the V.O.C national rally next some good 900s and 700s at the show especially yours !
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post: