Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crashed it! But it looked after me well. RIP

Views : 8627

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2009, 21:49   #1
James_N
VOC Member

Default Crashed it! But it looked after me well. RIP

Well today i crashed my volvo in style. I'll start by saying i know the road well, ive known many a person crash on this road, and in the past, ive had plenty of "arse end out" fun on this road, but today, i was driving sensibly, and well within the speed limits but theres a slight bump in the middle of the corner, and i lost the back. I corrected but ran out of road. Ended up hitting a hedge, spinning round, then heading backwards into more hedge and fencing area. It was a big impact. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

To some, it might be an old knackered volvo, to me, it was my pride and joy, and part of me. The whole hospital i worked at knew me for this car, it was known all round my town as well. Im gutted for the car, and secretly hoping it can be repaired. Damage appears cosmetic apart from smashed lower engine mounts, and the one rear wheel appears to be at an odd angle. Have a mate coming round to check it out, but i'll probably end up breaking it, and buying a late auto 940. Im sad tonight (and a bit stiff!) but the car looked after me well. RIP.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 21:57   #2
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Such a shame. The car looks so sorrowful in the pics taken from in front, with the lights out on one side and the bonnet up and twisted slightly.

I'd be gutted.

At least you weren't hurt too much by the sound of it. I bet it was scary though, and secretly a little bit fun in an adrenaline rush sort of way.

What did you hit to bend the front so much? A fence post perhaps?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:00   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I feel your pain dude, it would kill me if something like this ever happen to my 740. She can be fixed, question is, is it cost effective to repair, and the fact, once repaired, its never the same. If it should ever happen to me I know my 740 will have to be in a very bad shape to not be fixed, and should anyone ever cause an accident involving my 740, they better be sure I am either trapped in it, or so badly injured I can't get up, I'd kill them lol
Keep us posted on the outcome, and remember i have a really nice 2.3 turbo auto 945 for sale

At least if you have to break it, there is comfort knowing its keeping other 740's alive

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:04   #4
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
At least you weren't hurt too much by the sound of it. I bet it was scary though, and secretly a little bit fun in an adrenaline rush sort of way.

What did you hit to bend the front so much? A fence post perhaps?
Now im in bed relaxing, im starting to feel it a bit more!!

I thought I hit a tree. The farmer seems to think I hit a small tree, but i couldnt see one, so i assume it was just thick fence posts!

Its fun sliding it around when you intend to do it and can recover the situation, and im the first to admit ive had fun round roundabouts etc, but this was not nice, knowing i was going sideways, and had run out of opposite lock and road!

Im gutted about the car, its currently sat in my garage, and i want to fix it up so badly, but your right, is it cost effective, gut instinct says no
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:04   #5
v8disco

Is your number plate trying to tell you something?
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:09   #6
James_N
VOC Member

haha i think it was

If the car gets scrapped, they will be on my wall as a reminder!!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:16   #7
john h
VOC Member

James,

Very sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you are more-or-less OK.

Don't make any quick decisons about the car - but you're probably right that it would not be economic to repair. And if it's twisted slightly, you might end up spending money but still not get it to drive right.

Stay positive, let us know how you get on

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:56   #8
Laney760
VOC Member

Unhappy

Aaww James, really sorry, you must be gutted. At least you're ok. If it's mostly cosmetic maybe you could pick you a cheap old donor on Ebay?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 23:18   #9
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Aaww James, really sorry, you must be gutted. At least you're ok. If it's mostly cosmetic maybe you could pick you a cheap old donor on Ebay?
yes

Ive just got a funny feeling that there is more to this repair than cosmetics. So annoyed with myself. I dont want any other volvo than this one. I'll be having a closer look tomorrow
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 23:29   #10
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Sorry to see this mate - I know this car was your pride and Joy.

Sorry to say but looking at the angle of the front bumper and the fact that the rear end is in the hedge - I guess there is damage to the front chassis rails and the rear 3 quarter. At this point, it wont be worth the cost of the repairs. If they are ok, and you can find another car in the right colour, then you may be able to save her.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to pm.

Cheers
Ryan