Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indicator not cancelling

Views : 2261

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2010, 18:37   #1
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Default Indicator not cancelling

Hi all,

My indicator is not self cancelling when I turn right. Is it possible to fix these or is it a case of having to replace?

Either way do you need to remove the steering wheel? if so, how do you remove the steering wheel from a 96 car with air bag steering wheel.

Any help or instruction on this would be greatly appreciated.
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 18:47   #2
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

What sort of '96 Volvo is it Steve?

IF it's a 940, and like mine, NO you don't need to remove the steering wheel. Just remove the upper and lower cowls fron behind the wheel, and you can get to and replace the switch. You will need a small right angled torx but it's easy to make one up, as the screws aren't usually that tight.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Elec...lorWiperStalks Might also help you.

You might well find that if you remove your switch and give it a good silicone electrical spray and work it round by working the switch back and forwards a few times, that it will work again. Probably the contacts are gummed up just on that side. If not though, it's a replacement.

Personally I'd disconnect the battery and then leave the car for 1/2 hour before doing the job because of the airbag, but make sure you've got your radio Code (if you need it).

Last edited by Oilydad; Nov 6th, 2010 at 18:52.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 19:28   #3
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Thanks,

That sounds great. I don't mind getting another switch. I was just worried about having to replace the stalk as I am lucky enough to have cruise on my 945 and getting another stalk with cruise might prove difficult. LOL

Just had a thought. It sounds as though from your description that this switch is separate from the stalk itself. Is that right?

I'll check out that link.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 19:51   #4
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Doh!!!

From that link it looks like the auto cancelling thingy is part of the stalk it's self. Damn it! Can anybody confirm that the auto cancelling thing is part of the stalk or that its a separate and hopefully replaceable part???
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 20:07   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Curtis View Post
Doh!!!

From that link it looks like the auto cancelling thingy is part of the stalk it's self. Damn it! Can anybody confirm that the auto cancelling thing is part of the stalk or that its a separate and hopefully replaceable part???
It is part of the stalk unit as far as I know. It is an all in one unit with no add-on bits.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 21:23   #6
Chris740R
Premier Member

It's part of the stalk, you maaay be able to take the stalk off and swap it into the new one, which would mean you don't have to scour the land for another one with a cruise control switch. I think they may be riveted together, which would make it a pain.
Chris740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:30   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

It is definitely part of the stalk - just had my spares out for a look - and no, neither of them has cruise control.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 11:17   #8
Chris740R
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris740R View Post
It's part of the stalk, you maaay be able to take the stalk off and swap it into the new one, which would mean you don't have to scour the land for another one with a cruise control switch. I think they may be riveted together, which would make it a pain.
I can't edit my post anymore, but just to clarify, I meant remove the stick bit with the switches on from your cruise indicator stalk module and put it into the replacement housing.
Chris740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 21:07   #9
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris740R View Post
I can't edit my post anymore, but just to clarify, I meant remove the stick bit with the switches on from your cruise indicator stalk module and put it into the replacement housing.
Hmm so you think I will be able to re-shell the cruise bits into another stalk? Does the end of a regular stalk just pop off then so the cruise button can be added? Will have to look at dads car LOL :-)

If I was going down the road of sourcing another stalk with Cruise could I use one from any country. I.E jump on Ebay US DE NL and have it sent to the me. I mean I don't need to get a UK specific cruise stalk?????
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 21:14   #10
arcturus
arcturus

Why not save yourself a lot of trouble and just use your finger to cancel it! It's really quite easy.