Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE : Changing the front gear linkage bushes

Views : 75901

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 09:34   #1
DWM
VOC Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43070
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 21:29   #2
stewyp1983

"wow" amazing thread.... Just changed front and rear due to first gear sliding all way across to 5th position and eventually losing reverse and first gear. Then when i had 1st and reverse had no 5th gear. Changed bushes now have all gears and about 3mm movement. Just need bushes to wear in so gear change is bit smoother. Thanks for a great thread
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 16:42   #3
davidmot

Smile gear linkage bushes

excellent thread purchased a 1998 V40 last week,had this problem with the gears.Followed the links ,ordered the parts online for £11, which arrived within 24 hours,just done the change today and its like a new gearbox so many thanks for this link and hope they are all as good as this one
davidmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 20:43   #4
Dan Clifton

First of all, excellent guide, will be very easy to follow.

I had posted here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...81#post1160481 about gearbox issues I have been having with my 1999 T reg V40. Do you think my problems are also stemming from the same parts?

Where do you get your bits and pieces from, I am new to the world of finding spares and part numbers so need all the help I can get! You mentioned in your guide about further play after the repairs you did and doing further maintenance, did you post a similar thread detailing this work?

Any links, phone numbers or part numbers you have at hand would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dan
Dan Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 21:03   #5
The Improver

Try FRF Volvo ask for Simon if he's busy anyone from parts will be helpful. Note the discount code 'C3', you need it!

"Quote"
For all parts enquiries please call us on either of our direct lines: 01792 790066 or 01792 784272 quoting discount code 'C3' (lines open Monday to Fridays, 9am to 5pm)

Aren't the part numbers on the first post of this thread?

Last edited by The Improver; May 10th, 2012 at 21:18. Reason: Part no.s
The Improver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 21:17   #6
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clifton View Post
First of all, excellent guide, will be very easy to follow.

I had posted here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...81#post1160481 about gearbox issues I have been having with my 1999 T reg V40. Do you think my problems are also stemming from the same parts?

Where do you get your bits and pieces from, I am new to the world of finding spares and part numbers so need all the help I can get! You mentioned in your guide about further play after the repairs you did and doing further maintenance, did you post a similar thread detailing this work?

Any links, phone numbers or part numbers you have at hand would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dan
Yes the symptoms you describe are typical of those with this kind of linkage wear.

The bush kit is a Volvo part (part numbers in the original first post in this thread), so easily obtainable from FRF or any other dealer. The kits are also easily obtainable from various ebay sellers.

There is indeed another thread by the same member on the rear linkage bushes - you can use the search function to find it easily enough. He reported though that it makes much less difference than the front ones. Front ones tightened my own stick up to my complete satisfaction .

Last edited by DWM; May 10th, 2012 at 21:20.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 16:13   #7
montydog1966

hi.
can not view the pics regarding changing the gear linkage bushes on your guide, any chance you would be able to email me the word document with them included please?
many thanks
montydog

ps would not let me send a pm.
montydog1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:56   #8
montydog1966

pictures back up and saved. many thanks
montydog
montydog1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 17:35   #9
tom1987

Default Thanks!! And...

Great guide so many thanks a very easy and cheep job to do.

My only question is in the pics provided it shows a amount of oil around the linkage and when I replaced mine I found the same.

Is this a common thing? Or have I caught a fail-ier as it has happened there seems to be quite a bit of oil on mine and it seems to originate higher than the linkage as the starter looks as if the bottom is covered.

I appreciate any advice even if its to say your looking in the wrong thread and many thanks again for such a helpful forum

Tom (ignore the bad spelling)
tom1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 13:29   #10
doooford

Thanks for the guide. Just changed my front bushes but can still only select 3 and 5th.
I'm going to do the rears after lunch but time is against me to get it to a garage if this doesn't fix it. What are the odds of this solving it do you think?

Last edited by doooford; Nov 27th, 2013 at 14:20.
doooford is offline   Reply With Quote