Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 soot filter full/serv req/ forced regeneration

Views : 17747

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2014, 18:28   #1
Gonzoargentina

Default S60 D5 soot filter full/serv req/ forced regeneration

Hi!

I have tried to get it regenerated by running the car at the motor way, but didn't work and service required and power lost is what I have!

I took the car to the service to make a forced regeneration, (soot filter full/ service required).

Does anyone know how much time does it take!???

the Mec started the regeneration and cancel it 55 minutes after.. Wondering why took so long ... Then the computer said : regeneration incomplete or not started...

So I guess it coul took more than an hour?
He couldn't erase the issue (the fault seems to be forced)

The car has lost power and acceleration...

I am taking it back tomorrow!

(Egr valve clean)
Gonzoargentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 19:33   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

First thing you need to do is complete the regeneration properly. The computer will shut the veichle down once regeneration is complete. This can take some time especially with a full dpf. Afterwards you need to find out why you have had a full dpf. I would change the oil to the correct spec if not already which is 0 30 a5 b5 and fill to 5.7 litres not 6.2. 5.7 is the new recomended level. You need to make sure that the pressure sensor on the dpf is working correctly and the exhaust gas temperature sensor is also functioning as it should. If neither of these are working then the car will not regenerate. Is it your driving style that is causing dpf issues or have you never had this problem before. If the veichle still does not improve after a forced regeneration done then a new dpf will
Be needed but finding the route cause is key. Also check all the dpf pipe work for blockages Ect.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 21:18   #3
Gonzoargentina

Thank you!
I just have bought it!
I have made a ruN Up to 160 km/h (100mi/h) trying to unclog the dpf... But didn't work I guess!

Perhaps the press sensor is malfunctioning..
The car has started the regeneration process The exhaust started smoking a few times!
I'll take it back to Volvo service tomorrow and ask them to do a forced regeneration until the computer ends.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 23:19   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Yeah once the filter gets full past a certain capacity it can no longer regenerate itself so not matter how far you drove it it wouldnt fix the fault. The exact values escape me but I can dig them out if needs be. Get them to do a complete regen and then like I say you need to find why it was blocked. Change the oil and fil to the new level this is important. Should only be 3/4s up on the stick and watch for a rise in oil level. Hopefully once this is sorted you will have no further problems but there could be an under lying fault that is causing your dpf to become blocked.

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:45   #5
Tapani

Default DPF regeneration and engine temperature

Hi, in normal use the regeneration starts only if/when the engine has reached the normal operating temperature. Thus a bad thermostat (allways open) prevents the engine to reach high temperature enough for regeneration to start. check the thermostat.
br tapsa
Tapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 13:11   #6
Gonzoargentina

The codes are:

ECM-2B40 foully signal / this one I guess, is forcing the limp mode, and triggers the service req. message
To which sensor is refered that code?

ECM-2BAA dpf value
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 19:55   #7
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

ECM-2B40 the ecm detects the dpf is clogged which is what is giving you poor performance and your service message as you already know.

ECM-2BAA is the dpf pressure sensor telling the ecm that the particle trap count has increased. This code I think should have occurred before the 2B40 code as you get a soot filter full message before the service message which you have now. getting the soot filter full message means take it for a drive so it can regenerate it self. ignoring this means you then get the service message triggered by the 2B40 code if that makes sense.

these codes are basically telling you what you already know, what were the results of the forced regen?? in live data the mechanic should be able to see if it was successful or not by looking at the values from the pressure sensor as this is what tells the ecm when to regenerate

Thjs my help you a little more in the future. At 19grams of soot the car will start to regenerate it self at 24grams the ecm helps to regenerate the filter by activating the glow plugs and adding extra diesel to increase gas temperature. at 30 grams you get the soot filter full on the dim, which also stores the above code that I mentioned. at 38grams the car can not longer regenerate at all and a forced regen is needed. 100grams and the filter needs to be replaced because a forced regen can not be started.

You also need to check all pipe work and the pressure sensor to make sure they are functioning properly, this is important as all your efforts are wasted if there are faults with these. You say your taking it back to Volvo service, they should know all this anyway and should be able to fix the problem.

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Nov 6th, 2014 at 20:13.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 10:43   #8
Gonzoargentina

Hi! Week the mechanics are not familiarized with the diesel ones, there are too few! They are learning with me.....

The Mec forced a regeneration BUT after 55 minutes CANCELED the process considering that it was too long....

The value 38g, remained =

Car has software up to date, fuel and oil filter and fluid changed this week.

Plan of action:

Take the car out of service to preserve dpf
Change exhaust pressure sensor (ECM-2B40 faulty signal)
Find out HOW LONG could TAKE THE MANUAL REGENERATION,

Any additional advise? Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 17:30   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

at 38grams of soot it will never manualy regenerate which is why you need to do a forced regeneration again. if the filter is properly clogged then it will take time, failing this a new filter is needed.

Old Jan 6th, 2015, 17:26   #10
Gonzoargentina

Ok, well, i have replaced the soot filter... And after 576 km (12days) the soot filter full bla bla bla message appeared again........