Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sub zero temp start problems

Views : 1431

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 20:41   #1
listerdude

Default Sub zero temp start problems

Last few days have been a real problem for my 2003 D5 cumininating in this mornings complete refusal to fire up. I ended up getting hold of a fan heater and running it pointing in the general direction of the fuel lines and injectors. The fan heater was run for at least 20 mins and then the car still struggles to come to life. This doesn't sound right for a car built on the Scandinavian Peninsula. Anyone have any clue what might be happening here?
listerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 20:45   #2
raife

Water/condensation in the fuel filter freezing?

Easy job. There was another thread on here today about it.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 21:08   #3
listerdude

So just a new fuel filter should do it..probably about time for a new one anyway.
listerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 21:11   #4
chb
Master Member

Smile

There is also a drain point on the filter housing.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 22:26   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdude View Post
Last few days have been a real problem for my 2003 D5 cumininating in this mornings complete refusal to fire up. I ended up getting hold of a fan heater and running it pointing in the general direction of the fuel lines and injectors. The fan heater was run for at least 20 mins and then the car still struggles to come to life. This doesn't sound right for a car built on the Scandinavian Peninsula. Anyone have any clue what might be happening here?
It sounds like one or two injectors leaking fuel back to the tank hence the fuel pressure too low to fire up The cold weather and lower cranking speed and hence fuel pump speed doesnt help .First stage would be to get the leak off fuel volume checked of all 5 injectors . there will probably be one or two which will be noticably more than the rest , first renew the worst injector and see how it goes , then the second if not cured , it is rare that more than 2 need changing .
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:09   #6
stutgart69
Master Member

The same also happening to my car . How much would it likely cost to replace an injector at an indy?
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

An injector with pipe and fitting kit which you MUST have , is over £250 It needs to be the same grade as you already have on your car , ( 1 , 2 or 3 ) you can only get these from a volvo dealer . Any other source or "reconditioned" ones are likely to cause you grief and probably double the cost of repair due to knocking because they are not matched exactly to the others in the car .
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:22   #8
stutgart69
Master Member

Unhappy

Seriously? That will be on top of the new intercooler and drivers door module that it also needs .
Im beginning to wish that i had bought a Beemer.. It would probs be cheaper to run
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:10   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Seriously? That will be on top of the new intercooler and drivers door module that it also needs .
Im beginning to wish that i had bought a Beemer.. It would probs be cheaper to run
Nah not at £1500 for a service and set of tyres ....
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:39   #10
JohnL

Mine is slow to start when its cold, the engine turns over ok but takes serveral seconds before it catches, could this be the glow plugs not working, or could this be the filter not letting fuel thru,
what is the best way to test if they are working, putting a volt meter into one of the glow plug wires.
Should the glow plug light stay on while they are heating? As mine seems to go off very quickly after the test cycle of the all the other lights at key on?
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote