Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

945 Niggles

Views : 9624

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 19:48   #191
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrickrick View Post
Hey I've arrived guys - look at the top post - I've finally been redacted - someone is obviously worried about public disclosure -...
Well I for one am intrigued by what "Ben****ers aliens" actually spelled and why it was bleeped out...

I mean, I can try some combinations for size ;

Ben****ers
Bendickers
Ben****ters

I could go on ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 21:24   #192
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I thought it was BRAIN FLICKERS (squint and you'll get the meaning) but i could well be wrong...........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 03:26   #193
bluebrickrick

A capital attempt at answering Mr Rooster as to the original text would be

BENjamin TWAnged TEResaS bra strap earlier and got his face slapped

On other matters, I picked up a bottle of that Q ATF today Dave and I see what you mean - it mixes more readily so will not take much of a shake pre use - didn't get round to the horn yet, or anything else, have been hunting for a switch for my shredder that doesn't make me feel I've fed my hand and most of my arm through the thing price wise, talk about OEM mark-up !

Rick

BTW didn't realise you knew Brian Flickers - haven't seen him in years - is he still dead ??
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebrickrick For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 08:31   #194
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

He was last seen entering the place of the curved wet-stuff Rick - after that i don't know.

The molecules are much smaller due to it being synthetic, hence mixung much easier. It shifted the BJ taper quite easily so it has me well and truly convinced!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 13:22   #195
bluebrickrick

OK - for some reason I tend to think of synthetic implying longer chains not shorter, always good to have a breath of fresh air stir static thoughts

I remain to be convinced as far as the Kroil comparison is concerned but it sure seems to beat anything else I've ever tried, commercial or homebrew - I wonder why someone is not flogging it commercially, can't be cost, can't see a safety reason - must be IPR.

Looks like our lovely spring weather is about to take a beating
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 22:05   #196
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrickrick View Post
OK - for some reason I tend to think of synthetic implying longer chains not shorter, always good to have a breath of fresh air stir static thoughts

I remain to be convinced as far as the Kroil comparison is concerned but it sure seems to beat anything else I've ever tried, commercial or homebrew - I wonder why someone is not flogging it commercially, can't be cost, can't see a safety reason - must be IPR.

Looks like our lovely spring weather is about to take a beating
Chemistry qualifications weren't high on my list Rick so i'm going on what i've found during research, apparently the hydrocarbon molecules in the mineral ATF are much bigger despite smaller chains - or something!

I think the fact the mix is on Wikipedia defeats the object of someone trying to make money out of a "secret recipe" - let's face it Colonel Sanders would have looked like a right rip-off merchant if someone had published the "Colonels Secret Recipe" on Wikipedia in 1956 and everyone found it was just herbs and spices! Now you just Kan't Find Chicken

As for the good weather, i think that's suffered a blow-out!

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 01:50   #197
bluebrickrick

I know what you mean, either that or do what the current owners of WD40 appear to have done - rewrite the history and possibly the formula !

I have just realised the ultimate challenge for 'our' new secret weapon - I've put a couple of squirts into the tailgate lock barrel, no instant effect and to be fair that Mazak / whitemetal stuff is a different ballgame to Fe oxides - anyhow will be interesting to see what happens.

The desulphater continues to wink at me - is there an optimum time of connection (i.e. can I share it with some other batteries for a week or two each or do they require permanent connection for the life of the battery?) the other batteries are not worth 20 quids worth of their own as an experiment and so far reverse engineering has hit a brick wall

TTFN

Rick
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 08:19   #198
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Hmm, great minds think alike again Rick! I've also doused not only my tailgate lock barrel but also the drivers and passengers door lock barrels as all 3 are seized.

The optimum time for connection is actually permanently, however if the battery is only lightly sulphated then between 1-4 weeks to revive it enough to use again usually.
If you're using it to revive multiple batteries, give them 2-3 days low, slow charge with the deulsphator connected then move it all to the next battery for 2-3 days and do it in rotation so each get a turn and do this until they are holding a reasonable amount of charge - usually about a month or so.

Reverse engineering is a waste of time as the components can't be bought separately to build one for less than the cost of the complete built and guaranteed unit. Of course if you want to reverse engineer it just for the exercise that's different but you can find the circuits online.

Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 23:25   #199
bluebrickrick

Its a fail - tailgate lock still solid I'm thinking more of FJ as its seized, central solenoid not pulling it and manual lever disabled (previous owner must have set it to Rickproof !)

OK on the pulsers, I have for years disintegrated electronics of all sorts and have a pretty good supply of discrete components and quite a lot of untested i/c's so a trip to Maplin is a fairly rare event, (also got a UV box should you need to indecently expose a pcb for etching)

I'll have a surf about for a Janet n John circuit - had a pulser for a sheep fence in yesterday but the Chinese won that, found a couple of blown trannies which returned the low battery warning but something else had leaked smoke without leaving a clue

TTFN

Rick
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 23:57   #200
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I haven't checked my locks to see if it's helped on mine, need to do something as i'm stuck if the remote central locking ever fails for whatever reason!

Desulphator circuits :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Desu...an-Altoids-Ti/

http://www.homemade-circuits.com/201...explained.html

My design was basically the same as both of those up to the output stage, there it was more similat to the second one but with only one output choke.

The basic bits, such as the 555 timer and the discretes weren't the expensive bits, it was the MOSFET (IRFZ44), the choke and/or the inductor/ferrite core. Add in a case and the miscellaneous bits and it was over £20 without the board.

Those electric fence modules are only cheap anyway Rick, although i hate the throw-away society with things like that it's kind of justified. I'm sure the Chinese sheep will enjoy it though!