Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 306189

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 21:39   #81
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Ask Clan. He knows cars it has happened to.

Why would it be wrong to build in a security system that protects the car from theft? There is no way for the software to tell who is tampering/has tampered with the car, but if you follow the instructions in VIDA there won't be an issue. It's only the electronic modules that are affected.
Thanks for that, but no one has come in naming anyone that this has happened to, so again, I don't think they can do that to your vehicle, I suppose I should add 'without you permission' to the statement.
This is interesting, nobody yet named, what do others think?
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKTech For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 13:16   #82
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTech View Post
Thanks for that, but no one has come in naming anyone that this has happened to, so again, I don't think they can do that to your vehicle, I suppose I should add 'without you permission' to the statement.
This is interesting, nobody yet named, what do others think?
Apple do the same thing and haven't had legal issues about it as far as I know. I guess that connecting to Volvo Sweden via VIDA gives consent to acceptance of using the software. You could probably manage without ever connecting to VIDA Sweden with an old car with all the updates as long as you never lose your keys or have them fail.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 16th, 2012 at 13:22.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 14:01   #83
stbb748

Hi, im new to this forum and was about to but a 04 V7 but as i like to get to know any problems with my new cars decided to have a read on here. This electronics locked to car thin has just about stopped me buying car. I come from landrover and vw background and as we all know , things brak and need replacing ( new parts are out of question for olde cars). My question is, is there a list of what cant be fitted as used parts? I belive the radio should be coeded to car, anti theft mesure but ecu, rear view mirrors ect , thats just rubish. Has anyone fitted used parts ok? And does this apply to v50 as well? Hope im not asking to much but i really wanted volvo but im not going to visit dealer every time a bulb blows ( been there with ur quattro)
Thanks
steve
stbb748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 15:36   #84
d2k

lol..... from my limited experience there's not much that can be changed without major compatibility issues, but it can be done with limited money.. (if your lucky)

alternator / battery / bulbs .... can all be changed with used or equivalent parts

DIM cluster / climate control / stereo / all ECU's .... cannot be swapped.

from what i hear there are used parts which will work as long as part numbers & software match, but without your own breakers yard its hard to find working spares.

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 20:27   #85
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbb748 View Post
Hi, im new to this forum and was about to but a 04 V7 but as i like to get to know any problems with my new cars decided to have a read on here. This electronics locked to car thin has just about stopped me buying car. I come from landrover and vw background and as we all know , things brak and need replacing ( new parts are out of question for olde cars). My question is, is there a list of what cant be fitted as used parts? I belive the radio should be coeded to car, anti theft mesure but ecu, rear view mirrors ect , thats just rubish. Has anyone fitted used parts ok? And does this apply to v50 as well? Hope im not asking to much but i really wanted volvo but im not going to visit dealer every time a bulb blows ( been there with ur quattro)
Thanks
steve
It's the way modern cars are. Better stick to older cars (pre 2002) if you don't like it. There are some great Volvo's pre that date.

PS My 02 V70's passed 160,000 miles now and never needed to have any electronic components replaced.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 5th, 2012 at 20:30.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:47   #86
juustme

Question Re Software Driven Electronics

I have seen repair instructions for the self-dimming rearview mirror's in the S80s' mentioning retaining the original circuit boards in order for the keyless entry to operate.
Upon reading that I wondered if it would be possible (or if anyone has tried) to replace the whole self-dimming assembly and use the matching key-less fobs from the donor vehicle.

I also wondered if anyone has tried using the RFID chips in the keys from a donor car with the matching ECU when doing an engine transplant etc. My logic being the 'security' data has to be stored in something connected to the loom.
juustme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juustme For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 16:52   #87
Mark Rock

Reading the haynes manual for the speedometer radio etc it says its possible to use second hand but these items must be divorced from the donor vehicle (whilst still fitted) then married to the new car
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 19:20   #88
MickM

Smile Replacing hu-803

Purchased a S/H unit today for my 2003 S60 D5

Took about 30 min to fit and it works perfectly with steering wheel controls and illumination.

Cost £70 as against Volvo's quote of £803.29

TOP TIP - Watch installation videos on Facebook they are superb
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 16:08   #89
mickeyjaw

I'm with UKTech on this one. If the VIDA software is deliberately designed to damage/disable your electronics as a 'security' feature and all the dealerships know this then either the authors of VIDA or the garage using it would surely be liable for an offense of criminal damage if it actually did disable anyone's electronics?

I certainly would pursue this angle if anything happened to my car...
mickeyjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 18:41   #90
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw View Post
I'm with UKTech on this one. If the VIDA software is deliberately designed to damage/disable your electronics as a 'security' feature and all the dealerships know this then either the authors of VIDA or the garage using it would surely be liable for an offense of criminal damage if it actually did disable anyone's electronics?

I certainly would pursue this angle if anything happened to my car...
vida doesnt disable anything ,
its quite simple , each electronic module has a serial number , and that is logged with volvo and the CEM in the car . Each time the car is started the CEM checks all the serial numbers match the log in the CEM . So if you introduce a unit with a non matching serial number thats when problems can occur especialy the next time you need software downloading because the car is checked with its original database in sweden .
some people say used units work , thats great , but they are not supposed to .
Volvo have just won a thatcham international award for their security this includes the difficulty of breaking stolen ones for spares and selling the parts off . So thats the reason why your modules are not easily swapped in most cases .

VOLVO CELEBRATES INTERNATIONAL VEHICLE SECURITY AWARD WIN

Volvo wins ‘Thatcham International Vehicle Security Award' for second year running
Anders Edvardsson from the Swedish insurance association (TFF) presented the award to Volvo Car Corporation's Mikael Wall
Volvo has won the coveted International Vehicle Security Award at the 2012 Thatcham Security Awards. Beating off intense competition from rival manufacturers, this is the second straight year that Volvo has been honoured with the award.

Thatcham completes a 1,000 point New Vehicle Security Assessment (NVSA) on all new vehicles coming into the UK and Sweden for each country's respective insurance association.

Volvo's success came from excelling in the areas of mechanical security, electronic security and how identifiable a vehicle is when broken into its component parts. On this basis, the Thatcham International Vehicle Security Award goes to the most secure manufacturer in more than one country that Thatcham supports.

Attending to accept the award was Mikael Wall, security analysis engineer at Volvo Car Corporation who said: "We're delighted to accept this award for the second year running against some very tough competition. Volvo is committed to developing ways to reduce a driver's insurance premium and in conjunction with systems like the City Safety Autonomous Emergency Braking on all new V40s, this award shows our progress in achieving that goal."

All of Volvo's models are equipped with a number of standard security features, such as remote central locking with deadlocks, an anti-theft alarm including immobiliser, a level sensor and the option of fitting laminated side windows for extra security.

To further increase customers' confidence in their vehicle's security, customers with Volvo On Call technology can, via their mobile phone, immediately check the status of the door locks, open the car doors if the keys have been locked inside or lost and have the system send an automatic alert if the alarm is triggered.