Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s40 2lit se d e4 noise at 50mph

Views : 1285

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:05   #1
markt1
Trader

Default s40 2lit se d e4 noise at 50mph

Hiya guys i wonder if anyone could give me any pointers on my problem with my new purchase s40 2005 2lit d from around 40mph-50mph i can hear a noise bit like a train on a line rum de dum rum de dum(LOL) i am not a mechanic but have some knowlege i figure it could be a wheel bearing but when i power in and out of corners it doesnt get worse so im a bit baffled on that or tyres as they are just about done for or god forbid a diff but while your at the speed when it makes the noise you can take it out of gear the noise is still there thanks in advance as im baffled untill i can jack it up and check the bearings.
Mark

Last edited by markt1; Aug 4th, 2010 at 00:08.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:10   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

Hi, sounds like tyres to me, the s/v40 range are known for "stepping in" on the rear tyres which will cause road noise similar to what you describe, pirelli pilots will cause the noise along with other brands, non directional tyres seem to cure this problem.
See here, http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...+bearing+noise
And here, http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/search...archid=1046051

Last edited by stevo48; Aug 4th, 2010 at 00:14.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:14   #3
markt1
Trader

Thanks for the replt Steve the noise is defo the front its bloody horrible so i find it hard to beleave its the tyres but i take onboard what your saying other then this the cars lovely considering ive always had vw and didnt think other than a audi i would find peace in anything else but ive took to this little car just need to sort this dronning noise.

Last edited by markt1; Aug 4th, 2010 at 00:22.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:19   #4
stevo48
Premier Member

I still think the noise is tyre related due to the description you give (rum de rum etc) unless you hve a problem with your gearbox, can you try swapping rear tyres to to front and see if the noise is still there?
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:20   #5
markt1
Trader

Blinking heck Steve i wouldnt have thought tyres could be such a pain in the rear cheers mate for the links i will get some non directionaal tyres on the front asap and let you know many thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:23   #6
stevo48
Premier Member

We live and learn and matey, been there done that lol.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 00:29   #7
markt1
Trader

Yea we do live and learn but to get the advice like this is priceless cheers she needs new rubbers at the front so i wont be wasting money their and if it continues then more investgation,bt for piece of mind i will jack her up tomo and check them bearings but after reading the links it very much looks like the tyres could be box but shes only done 90k with fsh so i dont think so but you never know right im off to bed got to get some tyres sorted and enjoy the rest of the week off cheers.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 13:54   #8
markt1
Trader

Had it checked out and o/s front and n/s rear are the no1 publc ememy i heard a dry bearing on each wheel although theirs no play in them they sound rough so i am changing them as i switched the tyres around and no change in the noise and ive set the correct pressure in the tyres now and when i throw it into a lefthand bend it is making more noise i just wonder if the person that selt it knowingley put 45psi in for a reason i dont know anyway ive ordered bearings and puting new tyres on the front i will let you all know the outcome after my wallet is a little liter
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 23:08   #9
markt1
Trader

Heres the update Steve got a front bearing for £28 from g-f and tonight at my freinds garage we did it,strip the hub off remove the ABS sensor which took loads of penertration spray before we could safely pull it out without breaking it,lay in a vice big hammer got it out used a 12ton press to fit new one road test sweet just got to get hold of a rear bearing now as were not happy with one it sounds a little rough were finding it hard to source one any ideas guys other than main dealer please.
Also done oil filter fuel air OMG the oil filter is a littler bit of pain in the bum but with a little magic sorted and we had to mess around with getting her to fire up after i changed fuel filter
We pulled the feed end off the housing and used a bit of pipe and funnel and manualy feed her to fill filter housing and hey presto we got her running after about 25mins a little testing but my freinds a good mechanic and i used to work on the spanners years ago but took up car spraying instead which after tonight im glad but still i enjoyed working on my own car
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 00:58   #10
stevo48
Premier Member

Good result mate, try ebay for the rear bearing, I just got one for mine, £35.00 and all is quiet again, the rear bearing comes complete with flange etc hence the price.