Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2028158

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2022, 12:51   #3541
Othen
Premier Member

Default Rear spring & Pholus Wheels...

I got round to changing that second rear spring after dropping Dan at school this morn. I'd been soaking the nut at the bottom of the sort of captive stud in RP90 for a few days in the hope it would just unwind... and it nearly did! The nyloc nut got almost to the end of the thread before the stud started turning. Ho hum, I was ready with the reciprocating saw and the whole thing was apart in 10 minutes; the stud has been replaced with another M10 bolt and a nut.

That job didn't take long, so whilst the car was jacked up I thought I'd swap the 14" wheels for the 15" Pholus wheels I had from the RB project. I think they look pretty cool:

The 15" rims and 195/65 tyres fill the wheel arches much better than the original 14" wheels and 175/70 tyres:

The Pholus wheels have nearly new winter tyres fitted, but that doesn't really matter, I think I'll run them as all year round rubber. The winter tyres will wear a little quicker, but I'm only expecting to do around 2,000 miles/year so that will hardly make any difference. I think they suit the Barge much better than do the originals.

I took the Barge for a test run and all is good, handling and steering are fine and there are no funny noises from the rear suspension. The 15" wheels raise the gearing a little, but it was a bit low geared anyway with the 175/70 section tyres. They also make the speedometer read a little slower than previously - now the indicated speed is exactly the same at the GPS speed, so I will just have to remember there is no margin for error.

The only slight issue I have is the spare, which remains a 175/70R14, so there is a 1.3" difference in the rolling diameter. That doesn't worry me in the slightest as a get-you-home spare, but I will start looking for a 15" wheel that I can put a 195/65 tyre on. Maybe a fifth Pholus, but more likely a steel one (a cheap one!).

The 14" wheels had just been refurbished and fitted with new tyres. They came up as new after a quick wash and scrub:

My plan is to put them away in the spares shed until I sell the Barge at the end of the project (probably 2024), so they remain immaculato.

Good outcomes :-)

PS. Now here is an idea: a space saver spare tyre with a 125/85R16 tyre in as new condition for £24.95 delivered:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275471008...Bk9SR5yQtr_wYA

It would have the right PCD, but the offset would be a bit wrong - would that matter with a get-you-home spare?

Last edited by Othen; Sep 28th, 2022 at 13:40. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 12:58   #3542
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're more likely to come across a Pholus wheel before a 15" steel Alan although the steelies do come up from time to time.

Also, just a suggestion - while the original wheels are off, give them a good coat or three with a wax polish to protect them while they're off. I've been doing this with my alloys in recent times and it helps keep them much cleaner and reduce brake dust build up too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 13:05   #3543
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're more likely to come across a Pholus wheel before a 15" steel Alan although the steelies do come up from time to time.

Also, just a suggestion - while the original wheels are off, give them a good coat or three with a wax polish to protect them while they're off. I've been doing this with my alloys in recent times and it helps keep them much cleaner and reduce brake dust build up too.
Good point about the wax polish Dave, I'll do that.

You may not have noticed my PS. in the above regarding a really cheap space saver:

PS. Now here is an idea: a space saver spare tyre with a 125/85R16 tyre in as new condition for £24.95 delivered:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275471008...41c8%7Ciid%3A1

It would have the right PCD, but the offset would be a bit wrong - would that matter with a get-you-home spare?

Last edited by Othen; Sep 28th, 2022 at 13:45.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 13:39   #3544
Moomoo
VOC Member

Like the Phollus wheels, yep, they’re ok, it is a pretty car.

I’ll have to smash the piggy bank in2024!!!!!🧐
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 13:44   #3545
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Like the Phollus wheels, yep, they’re ok, it is a pretty car.

I’ll have to smash the piggy bank in2024!!!!!🧐
Thank you Andrew.

I really enjoy projects like this: taking a slightly tired motor car and giving it a boost. The RB was perfect in that way, and the Barge the same.

In 2024 I may be looking for a nice 1985 740 :-).

Alan
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 13:48   #3546
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good point about the wax polish Dave, I'll do that.

You may not have noticed my PS. in the above regarding a really cheap space saver:

PS. Now here ia an idea: a space saver spare tyre with a 125/85R16 tyre in as new condition for £24.95 delivered:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275471008...Bk9SR5yQtr_wYA

You'd probably be better off with :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174045052871

The offset is closer as it's designed for a RWD car, unlike the V40 wheel designed for a FWD car.

However, if i had my way, space-saver wheels would be outlawed. Too many people forget there's a 50mph limit on them and that it's unadvisable to drive more than 50 miles. My Jag came with a space-saver in a wheel bag which now resides in my shed, replaced with a proper alloy and reasonable tyre for £50 + about another tenner for a wheel bag. Presumably you won't need a wheel bag as you don't have a gas tank in your spare wheel well.

There is another important aspect to consider, that of insurance. The 240 range was never issued with a space-saver wheel so to all intents and purposes, you will have an unauthorised modification if you fit the space-saver. Granted they never came with Pholus alloys but 15" alloys were available when it was made and after al, they are a genuine Volvo 15" alloy so could be argued they were an optional retrofit.
I'm not sure if the 9xx range or even the S/V90 (first ones, a rebadged 960 essentially) came with a space-saver, that might be an option if you really want a space-saver but the actual space-saver tyres tend to be in the £Ouch teritory.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 13:52   #3547
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you Andrew.

I really enjoy projects like this: taking a slightly tired motor car and giving it a boost. The RB was perfect in that way, and the Barge the same.

In 2024 I may be looking for a nice 1985 740 :-).

Alan
A 1986/87 would be better Alan, many improvements then, not least the B230 engine instead of the B23.

Old Sep 28th, 2022, 14:43   #3548
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
A 1986/87 would be better Alan, many improvements then, not least the B230 engine instead of the B23.
... Understood Dave, but that would have a huge disadvantage: not being on the cusp of qualifying for free tax :-)
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 14:50   #3549
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You'd probably be better off with :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174045052871

The offset is closer as it's designed for a RWD car, unlike the V40 wheel designed for a FWD car.

However, if i had my way, space-saver wheels would be outlawed. Too many people forget there's a 50mph limit on them and that it's unadvisable to drive more than 50 miles. My Jag came with a space-saver in a wheel bag which now resides in my shed, replaced with a proper alloy and reasonable tyre for £50 + about another tenner for a wheel bag. Presumably you won't need a wheel bag as you don't have a gas tank in your spare wheel well.

There is another important aspect to consider, that of insurance. The 240 range was never issued with a space-saver wheel so to all intents and purposes, you will have an unauthorised modification if you fit the space-saver. Granted they never came with Pholus alloys but 15" alloys were available when it was made and after al, they are a genuine Volvo 15" alloy so could be argued they were an optional retrofit.
I'm not sure if the 9xx range or even the S/V90 (first ones, a rebadged 960 essentially) came with a space-saver, that might be an option if you really want a space-saver but the actual space-saver tyres tend to be in the £Ouch teritory.
Thank you Dave,

Whilst I was out walking Bob I had a think about this one, and realised I was being a bit daft looking for a space saver tyre - I'm with you, I don't like them.

The difference between the rolling diameter of the 195/65R15 and the 175/70R14 is 1.3", but that means the motor car would only sit 2/3" lower if I needed to use it - that isn't worth worrying about and would be much safer than a space saver.

I'll stick with the 14" original wheel as a spare - I was worrying about nothing and had not thought the problem through properly.

Alan
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 14:51   #3550
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... Understood Dave, but that would have a huge disadvantage: not being on the cusp of qualifying for free tax :-)
The answer is simple then Alan, wait another year or two to get one that's imminently qualifying as Historic. The advantages would outweigh the disadvantages, even if you still did it in 2024.

The 740 was introduced in 1984 (unlike the 760 in 1982) so certain "niggles" were still being ironed out for the first year or two. Then they did the slight revamp and improved many things, not a facelift as such, just a collection of small improvements that together, made a vast improvement overall.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 28th, 2022 at 14:52. Reason: typo