Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[Volvo S60 D5 2003]How much is this car worth ?

Views : 4500

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 09:21   #1
s60fan

Default [Volvo S60 D5 2003]How much is this car worth ?

Hi

I am buying an s60 and I think I found the right one. The thing is I made the guy an offer on the car a couple of days ago. Two days ago I had a call from him about another person who's interested in the car and is offering more. I said to him that I wouldn't be able to offer more. Yesterday I sent him a text message asking whether he had sold the car. HE texted me back saying he had even a better offer but he damaged the front wing so wasn't able to close the sale.

I am starting to think that the guy is messing me about. Why didn't he sell the car when he had a better offer than mine and guys willling to pay and drive away ?

I think I made him a good offer . How much do you think the car is worth ?

Those are the bad bits I noticed during test drive.

- milage at 193k so cambelt due
- offside front bearing needs to be replaced
-rear tyres, break pads and disks worn

The car's description :

2003 VOLVO S60 D5 SE BLACK
PORTS GBOX SATNAV, UPGRADED HIFI,STONE LEATHER SEATS

This is a rare S60 D5 163bhp SE as the Black Metallic colour and full leather seats in light stone with coffee door handles and dark chocolate trim/interior is the best combination. It was also specified with sports suspension and gearbox, top spec music system ( HU 803) and with extras such as headlight wipers, rain sensor wipers, auto dimming rear-view mirror and de-badged at factory. Forecourt price now showing ( after adjustment for mileage ) at £3315 so pick up a bargain at £2275 or less! ( price when new over £26k as fully specced)

You are looking at a 2004MY '53' reg, S60 D5SE 2.4 TurboDiesel on genuine 192k miles with full Volvo service history many before service due and no service missed; first 116 k was done in its first 2 yrs on motorway. Receipts available from day 1. Can contact 2 previous owners if necessary to verify history. It has just had over £300+ service in May, MoT and tax til end Oct 2011. Cambelt changed at 99k. The sports soft leather interior is in very good condition and with electric memory driver’s seat, 5 speed sports leather gearshift with silver ball effect, unbelievable fuel consumption for a luxury sports saloon with a 2.4 engine, safest car in its class with multiple airbag system, Built in Satnav & Parrot CK3100 bluetooth system fitted, Top end Volvo HU 803 Dolby ProLogic music system with multi disc cd player, 12 speakers,steering wheel controls, cruise control, ice cold air conditioning with dual zone climate control, 17” alloys with Toyo Proxes T1R Tyres 225x45 R17’s.

Looks and drives outstanding for year and mileage and puts many 2008 cars to shame!

Faults:

1 button loose on driver’s elec. window

2 plastic cover on armrest has come off hinges but still in place and useable

3 scratches on edge of petrol cap /and driver door handle considered normal for age

4 tiny 3mm tear in rear centre seat base

(missed if not looking for it ) also some signs of wear on outer edge of driver seat

5 small scuffs and dings but fewer than most car 7 yrs old

6 Front Pads & tyres 65%, rear 25% remain

7 No Known mechanical faults

How much do you think the car with this spec and milage is really worth ?
s60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 09:31   #2
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

I sold mine in Oct last year with 91k full history with a new clutch & bearing "Luk" exactly the same colour & spec 2003 03 for £2500.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 09:47   #3
s60fan

That's why I offered the guy £1600 taking into account the milage and £500 of work that needs to be done. Too much , not enough or just the right price ?
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 13:40   #4
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60fan View Post
That's why I offered the guy £1600 taking into account the milage and £500 of work that needs to be done. Too much , not enough or just the right price ?
This isn't by chance from eBay 'cars with no reserve' is it? Personally, at that mileage and with the known faults, I would steer clear. If you are prepared to travel, you will find a lot better than that. He should have bit your hand off, he sounds like he is seeing how desperate you are to buy by playing the old 'I've had a better offer' card.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182891
bluetownbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 15:20   #5
Tomo9945

If you have a niggling doubt in your mind, then it's there for a reason - give it a miss, listen to your gut. There are loads of others about, with less mileage, where the sellers will not make you concerned. If it was me I'd steer clear. Good luck.
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 16:44   #6
s60fan

bluetownbarry it's not one of those listings , he is a private seller . The thing is, it's not easy to find a good car for a fair price, so far I have seen 4 Volvo's . I am willing to travel even 200 miles for a good car but there is not many of them on the market . I've tried ebay , autotrader, gumtree with no success.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 22:27   #7
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60fan View Post
bluetownbarry it's not one of those listings , he is a private seller . The thing is, it's not easy to find a good car for a fair price, so far I have seen 4 Volvo's . I am willing to travel even 200 miles for a good car but there is not many of them on the market . I've tried ebay , autotrader, gumtree with no success.
If you don't need a deisel, I've recently found quite a few bargain petrol S60s under £1600. The only reason I asked about the seller, is that the background is similar & the person I have in mind (based in Peterborough) also has that annoying habit of taking pictures at an angle.

Best of luck with the hunt.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:39   #8
keithC70

I've just had a look at cars for sale on the "carswithnoreserve" sellers site on ebay and the photos for this car were certainly taken at the same site. If you look at the background in the other cars for sale you can see the gate and shed are identical.

It's at Reading and I've bought two cars from them - both have been bargains if you accept before hand that you're likely to need to spend money to put things right, you will be happy buying from them. If you expect a perfect car then go to a main dealer and spend a lot more. He buys them at auction and then sticks them on ebay and is open about their condition, even saying, "this is a non-runner" if they've discovered a fault.

The best thing about them in my view is that if you go there to look at a car they will just give you the key and let you do what you want. drive where you want, etc to give it a thorough test with no badgering or pressure selling - they're far too busy to bother.

Also if you turn up with the cash I'll bet you'd do you'd deal with them - they have a big turnover and they don't want cars lying around for ages.

So who's selling it? Is it one of the people who work there?
The Following User Says Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 21:04   #9
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
I've just had a look at cars for sale on the "carswithnoreserve" sellers site on ebay and the photos for this car were certainly taken at the same site. If you look at the background in the other cars for sale you can see the gate and shed are identical.

It's at Reading and I've bought two cars from them - both have been bargains if you accept before hand that you're likely to need to spend money to put things right, you will be happy buying from them. If you expect a perfect car then go to a main dealer and spend a lot more. He buys them at auction and then sticks them on ebay and is open about their condition, even saying, "this is a non-runner" if they've discovered a fault.

The best thing about them in my view is that if you go there to look at a car they will just give you the key and let you do what you want. drive where you want, etc to give it a thorough test with no badgering or pressure selling - they're far too busy to bother.

Also if you turn up with the cash I'll bet you'd do you'd deal with them - they have a big turnover and they don't want cars lying around for ages.

So who's selling it? Is it one of the people who work there?
Good to see some feedback about them - I've followed them for some time and have found it a bit suspicious when some cars get immediately relisted if they don't make enough money - seen this happen on six different cars over the months. I think they've another account on ebay for some of the growlers that have either been returned or aren't quite up to going on the main account.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 21:58   #10
keithC70

Yes, I agree. I've followed them regularly too and what I've noticed on numerous occasions is that when a car "sticks" at a low price, then a bidder with a zero score jumps in and bids. If there are no further bids, then the car is seen again the following week. (There's a VW Phaeton now on for at least the second time!)

You may draw your own conclusion.

Even so, I would still buy from them again if the price is right. I reckon that if you were after a car that was "sold" to a bidder with a zero score and you turned up with cash a few days later, you'd get yourself a deal!

I once went there to see V70 D5 that had stalled and been "bought" by a zero bidder. I was told he was a, "no show" and was offered the car at the price bid. I wanted it but decided to wait for the following week to see what happened and sadly (for me) it went for £1500 more than I could have had it for a few days before!

It's only the same as buying at auction in that it's a risk but at least you don't have to pay the dreaded buyer's fee as well!