Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

injector size V bhp

Views : 1526

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 11:32   #1
jason

Hi All,
I am doing some research on injector flow rates versus bhp equivelents ,if anyone can add any information to what i have currently i would be very greatful.It seems various cars T5 T5R AND R s ,have differant injectors which constitute differant flow rates i am trying to find out which cars have which injectors and the cost of these injectors.

So far the information i have is as follows:

315cc brown = max safe bhp possible 325bhp= 1996 T5

350cc white/red =max safe bhp possible 340-350bhp

395cc blue = max safe bhp possible 370-380bhp

450cc/475cc green= max safe BHP possible??????=V70R 2000

I believe using the above injectors the bhp above is at maximum after which the engine will have fuel starvation problems which obviously has detremental effects on the engine.If using a fuel regulator to increase fuel pressure the values above can be increased as long as the duty cyle is not above 80%,and the fuel pressure does not go over 1.3 bar at any given point during the rpm band from the standard fuel pressure regulator level.

Any further help appreciated

Jason
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 20:57   #2
volvotuning

Jason, you won't get fuel starvation. You will simply run lean if you can't put enough fuel in. However, the definition of "lean" depends on the car.

Adam.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 21:15   #3
jason

Hi Adam,
Sorry wrong terminology yes the car will run lean,what do you mean by the definition Adam ?

Jason
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 22:24   #4
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: injector size V bhp

Basically you can run a car "lean" as long as 2 factors are dealt with (may be more, maybe Adam will point out if I'm wrong)

A-you dont get any detonation/pre-ignition/pinking#

B-temps dont soar, but then soaring temps cause detonation as well

theres no real set AFR you want to aim for, 10.5 is generally safe but you can go lower if you deal with detonation etc by keeping intake temps down and octane rating up.

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 00:23   #5
jason

I agree,
A car can be run lean ,but lean means possible pre ignition or high temp. which may cause detonation,i would have thought detonation is just cause for increasing the size of the fuel injectors if they are incapable of flowing enough fuel for the desired power required!!!!!!

On the same note putting it like that i can disconnect my boost solinoid valve to create additional boost ,but obvioulsy this is not the desired approach ,hence my research into injector flow rates versus bhp.

As mentioned the only way to stop detonation is to keep intake temps down and octane up ,which means either aquamist ,bigger intercooler?
Or bigger injectors which would have to help fuel starvation/running lean.

Jason
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 00:45   #6
volvotuning

The first point should be to increase RON!!! That is the fundamental starting point in the tuning process, ie use the highest RON you have readily available at the pumps, or are prepared to pay for. Two other ways of reducing detonation is retarding ignition and lowering boost, but they are related to the two points you already mention.

Adam.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:19   #7
jason

Adam regarding octane,
I know its most likely another sales ploy but worth a try considering its a money back guarantee! check it out- www.fuelcat.co.uk i have ordered one ,if it does not work i get my money back,when i get it i will test it at the same time as the car is on the dyno.

Jason
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:24   #8
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

its not really something you would do with injector size ie versus bhp , because BSFC of each engine is different ,although with regards to T5 engines it would be ok to compare them with that , for octane booster just go buy some toluene for every 5 litres of 95 ron one litre of toluene will raise it to 101 octane or thereabouts , so ou can imagine what 98 ron would be .
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:24   #9
mraldonnelly

Toluene! Hmmm, isn't that highly toxic? Maybe I'm getting the wrong chemical but isn't toluene a solvent which is contained naturally in crude oil but removed during the refining process of fuel? Surely it's removed for a reason.

Actually, thinking about it, if it's a solvent AND also boosts octane, could it simply be that the likes of BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax contain higher levels of Toluene? They both claim better performance and cleaning afterall.

Where can one lay one's hands on Toluene? And at what price? Of course, to be using it as a fuel would probably be regarded as illegal unless fuel duty was paid on it prior to using it as a fuel. It could be argued that it's a fuel additive rather than an actual fuel but adding one litre to every five litres of actual fuel is a hell of a lot for an additive.

I await responses with interest.

Regards

Andy
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 13:22   #10
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Toluene was used by the turbo cars in F1 100% , this is due to toluenes resistance to knock(detonation) . you can by toluene , its basically sold as electrical contact cleaner , although you can buy it in bulk as that .

Basically petrol has toluene in it and you are right , either xylene or toluene is added to boost octane rating . both have their properties .

It wont do any more damage at those levels than petrol would , although it is classed quite highly(although unsure) as a carcinogen , but then so is benzene and that is in petrol also .

And you can but from shell pr BP or 76 , whatever octane petrol that the FIA ratifies , for a price ! , basically most WRC cars run on 102 octane , with toluene because they are turbo cars whereas some other fuels you can buy may have a different mix for the occasion .

i keep trying to get it - but have so far fallen short , and wont want to risk , cellulose thinners since that has a max 30% toluene, 30% xlyene and other distillates - i would want a proper RON rating before i stuck it in there - and i cant seem to find one - anyway im ttrying the local suppliers again today to see what i can com eup with .