Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How does the 4C suspension work?

Views : 4183

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 19:07   #1
Libra
weighing things up

Default How does the 4C suspension work?

I would like to know how the suspension changes from being soft to being bone shakingly hard the next just by touching a button?

I know they are electronic and controlled/adjusted by what the sensors tell them to do plus what mode I select, Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport. Is it like what the Audi TT has with its "iron filings" in the struts like what Clarkson said - when they are turned off the suspension is soft and when you turn them on, they make the suspension hard.

If anyone can enlighten me I would really love to know and be very grateful
Libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:09   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

There are variable electronic valves in each damper which are able to be adjusted 500 times per second from soft to hard or infinite steps in between .. But there is a lot more to it than just varying the damper stiffness.
Each damper is adjusted independently . which allows all sorts of useful scenerios .

For example when braking hard the front dampers go harder and the rears softer to help the car stay level , and the other way around when accelerating .. same when cornering , and braking when cornering , It also has influence on the throttle and auto gearbox , so the throttle feels more responsive in Advanced mode . its all linked into the DSTC so quite a complex system , there are level sensors on each suspension arm too so the system knows exactly what attitude the car is at . The handbook should explain more ..
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:15   #3
Libra
weighing things up

Thank you Clan. I did know that when you accelerate the rear dampers stiffen up and when you brake the fronts stiffen up.

I have downloaded this video - http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/r-video.shtml and it explains a lot, just not how they actually work. No I know, so thank you.

I have just found this out on the VOC car pages for the S60R and V70R....http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Four-C.pdf

Pages 76-77 detail what you said about valve on each damper which is adjusted by a surrounding solenoid.

Last edited by Libra; Apr 13th, 2010 at 20:37.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 13:51   #4
Libra
weighing things up

Just found out some more information on the suspension...

Quote:
Continuously Controlled Electronic Suspension (CES)

CES is a semi-active suspension system that achieves the optimal balance between comfort and handling. It continuously adjusts damping levels according to road conditions, vehicle dynamics including speed and steering maneuvers and driver input. Developed by Tenneco engineers in Europe, in conjunction with Öhlins Racing, CES delivers comfort without sacrificing the safety of sure handling.

Volvo used the Tenneco CES to develop its continuously controlled chassis concept, standard on its S60 R and V70 R performance vehicles and offered as an option on its S60, V70, XC70 and S80 vehicles, as well as the Audi A6 and Audi A6 Avant
http://www.eu.tenneco-automotive.com...e/products.htm

and then on Tenneco site

Quote:
Continuously Controlled Electronic Suspension
Tenneco’s Continuously Controlled Electronic Suspension (CES) provides next generation capabilities in vehicle handling and ride comfort. CES is a semi-active suspension system that continuously adjusts damping levels according to road and driving conditions. At the heart of CES is an advanced valve system, developed with Ohlins Racing. The valves are integrated with an electronic controller and chassis sensors and work together to deliver the most advanced damping characteristics.
http://www.tenneco.com/OriginalEquip...ies/index.html

and this PDF

http://www.tenneco.com/media/uploads...3_CES_GB_3.pdf

Its amazing what you can find on the web these days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libra For This Useful Post: