Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tricky Gearbox Question

Views : 819

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:59   #1
colm.deasy

Hi guys,

My 1992 Volvo 850 GLT has 135k up on it and it a great car to drive. I have suffered most of the known gremlins known to afflict the early 850's but it still hasn't put me off the car. However, the latest known woe is with the gearbox. I am beginning to have trouble selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse gears and sometimes I have to press the clutch a few times and force the lever into gear. I presume my gearbox is worn (am I correct?). My question is:- does anybody know will a gearbox from a later Volvo fit mine? I have tried my local Volvo dealer to no avail.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Colm
1992 Volvo 850 2.0 20V GLT Saloon
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:29   #2
5lab

could it be maybe that the clutch isnt disengaging properly? how high is the bite point on it?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 16:39   #3
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: Tricky Gearbox Question

The description of your problem is typical of a worn clutch. Cheaper than a new gearbox!

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 19:13   #4
colm.deasy

Thanks guys,

I like the sound of that. I'll get my mechanic to confirm it and get it changed.

Cheers,

Colm
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:48   #5
colm.deasy

Hello again,

I have been thinking about the clutch again last night...why do I experience the problems in 1st, 2nd and reverse and not in 4th and 5th??
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:23   #6
mraldonnelly

Hi Colm,

Probably because 1st, 2nd and reverse are very close ratios (well 1st and reverse are anyway). 3rd, 4th and 5th are not very close and therefore easier. For example, it's often quite easy to select 4th or 5th at the right revs without using the clutch. Not recommended but possible.

BTW, if you're getting the clutch done, get the rear main seal done at the same time.

Regards

Andy
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:01   #7
5lab

yeah thats completely right.

if you want to make things easier in the time being, try dryreving your engine just before you push the clutch in - this might help the gears engage (in all situations other than the car stationary)
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:14   #8
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: Tricky Gearbox Question

Hello Colm,

It will be good news if this is just your clutch neding renewal.

However,if not then you are faced with replacing the complete box as Volvo, along with a fair few other manufacturers, do not sell any gearbox parts....just new for old complete boxes.

In that case your best bet is to source a good used box from a breaker.. arround £400 plus VAT is about the going rate in SE England.

There are two excellent sources on the links page on my website...Braydon in E London and Charles Trent in Poole.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.
don kalmar union is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 16:12   #9
colm.deasy

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. It feels great to know that there is such support out there for what is a great car.

I'm going to order up a clutch etc and get it changed out in the next week or so.

My partner has just picked up a mint 1991 Volvo 440 GLE so I might be able to use this as an excuse to persuade her to let me have it while mine is in the garage. The car only cost us €850 and has just had a full service including timing belt!

Once again, thanks for the help,

Best Regards,

Colm
1992 Volvo 850 GLT 2.0 20V with 135k on the clock!