Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems won't go away. What else could there be?

Views : 16004

Replies : 144

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 21:52   #81
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
Looking online my engine parameters match the D5244T4 engine variant and I only seen one place on VIDA that says my engine and it's along with the model and year. Safe to assume I have the D5244T4 model?

Yes, mine is the same.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 22:09   #82
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

You do really need to nip this one in the bud though. Make your decision... you're either fixing the car, or count your losses and move on. To be honest, I'd be inclined to go with the latter.

You've spent a fortune & are no further along. I don't mean that in a negative way, but it sounds to me like every person under the sun has worked on this car & it doesn't sound like they really knew what they were doing. That has cost you a lot of money, time, inconvenience... its time to make your mind up.

So, ask yourself these questions... Are you going to commit more time/money trying to fix this car, in addition to what you've already spent? Or have you reached the point where enough is enough, so its time to call it quits?
I think this is the biggest question with the smallest answer (a single word, choice of 2 or three letters) on this problem.

When you boil it down really, it comes down to does the OP really want to continue to throw money at this car or not?

Even further testing and possibly trying a new injector isn't going to be free or even cheap. Assuming the injectors can be found new of course, Volvopartswebstore indicate they're NLA, i haven't checked on gcp.se yet though.

If i've followed the money trail correctly, i think he's spent ~£700 so far on this and no further forward. Could probably get another car for that! Then sell this one on ebay, spares or repair for whatever he can get which might be fairly close to what a replacement car costs as many people will think it's a fairly cheap repair and can get the parts from a scrapyard (assuming they don't know about the coding) and fit it, job done.

Then join up here asking advice with the same problem.........

If they know about the coding, chances are they have the means to code it (i believe there are aftermarket tools that do this) so will get an injector from wherever, fit and code it, wash, polish etc and valet the interior then have it on the forecourt for a profit.

Either way the OP is on a hiding to nothing at the moment, either take the plunge and sort it out at all costs, set a budget for the repair and the moment it exceeds that (with a sensible contingency level of say 25%) put it on the bay or just put it on the bay as it is, find himself something else that isn't so complicated and easier to maintain/interrogate/repair on a DIY basis.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 22:47   #83
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Just spotted this thread - might be helpful :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313145

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 23:18   #84
Kev0607
Premier Member

I agree Dave. Its the owner’s choice at the end of the day.

Setting a budget before spending more on repairs is a good suggestion you made. So if the repairs exceed that budget, then you know you’ve done what you can & its not like you didn’t try! You put what you could afford/thought would fix the issue. Once it exceeds that point, then its time to call it quits.

I understand the original poster is attached to the car, so will probably try everything he can to get it running properly. I hope he does & its such a shame that he hasn’t been successful.

From my personal perspective though, I would have called it quits a good while ago, counted my losses & sold the car as is on a spares/repairs basis. Then at least, you’d have gained something back & it would have softened the blow on your pocket slightly. Even if you got a couple of hundred quid for it... its still better than throwing more & more money at it, with what seems no guarantee of success. That’s just my opinion though & I understand the owner may feel different.

Its also a shame that the people working on the car clearly didn’t know what they were doing, but still charged hundreds for labour/repairs on parts that weren’t required. A decent garage & people that actually knew what they were doing would have solved this issue a long time ago. Its beyond a joke really.

Anyway, its the owners decision at the end of the day. I do suggest once again that he has a good think & makes his mind up fully before spending more & more on repairs though.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 11th, 2021 at 23:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 23:43   #85
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Those are for a euro 3 engine. I don’t think they’re the same as the ones required for the OP’s car (his being a newer euro 4 engine).

I could be mistaken though, so maybe the original poster could ask the question in that thread?

Well spotted Dave.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 11th, 2021 at 23:50.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 21:48   #86
Black dog

I'd chuck that diagnostic tool back in the box for a while, you would have more luck with a crystal ball! Your issue is mechanical
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 13:09   #87
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Only for the D5244T Euro 3

Not the D5244T4 Euro 4 which the OP has.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 18:37   #88
venomtail

Default All injectors read 0.2 ohms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
If you have the D5244T4 engine, the injectors should read 0.22 ohms at 20°C.[/I]
Took out all of my injectors and tested them to see what readings I'd get from my multimeter and all of them read 0.2 ohms. Read multiple times and they all read the same 0.2 ohms.

This would mean that the signals are fine then I just need to test the spray pattern of the injectors and that would pretty much be all there is to it. If checks out problem must be elsewhere.
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venomtail For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:21   #89
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
Took out all of my injectors and tested them to see what readings I'd get from my multimeter and all of them read 0.2 ohms. Read multiple times and they all read the same 0.2 ohms.

This would mean that the signals are fine then I just need to test the spray pattern of the injectors and that would pretty much be all there is to it. If checks out problem must be elsewhere.

Do you know which injector came out of which hole?
I might not help by suggesting this, but swap injector 4 and 5 over and see if the problem moves to 5 or stays at 4?
If it stays at 4, maybe there's something wrong there and it's not the injector.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 22:27   #90
venomtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Do you know which injector came out of which hole?
I might not help by suggesting this, but swap injector 4 and 5 over and see if the problem moves to 5 or stays at 4?
If it stays at 4, maybe there's something wrong there and it's not the injector.
Yes, I've tagged each injector so I know which one came from where. At one place I was told that swapping the injectors around changed nothing. The problem persisted. However no idea if problem persised with the same cylinder 4 or had moved to a different one, but if it did it would have shown up on my diagnostics as 2 cyliders misfiring.
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limp mode