Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems won't go away. What else could there be?

Views : 16006

Replies : 144

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 15:26   #101
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
Just put in more fuel and tried to bleed the fuel system again

and for a minute I got the engine to run. GOOD NEWS!

I just need to bleed the system again, maybe look up again on how to properly do the process, cause I'm messing up somewhere.

I've got kind of lost on this thread - as i understood things at first, you had a rough running problem.

It seems now you have a non-start scenario? COuld you please clarify for those of us that have missed something some where?

Thanks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 15:33   #102
venomtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've got kind of lost on this thread - as i understood things at first, you had a rough running problem.

It seems now you have a non-start scenario? COuld you please clarify for those of us that have missed something some where?

Thanks!
After putting the injectors back in as well as the cover that allows me to access and see the swirl flaps, the engine could turn but not start.

Bled the air out of the fuel connections as well as checked for electrical signals for the injectors via the noid lights. None of the noid light connections lit up, so I concluded no signal.

Bled the air out of the fuel systems for a second time just to be sure and for a minute the engine started and ran. Very rough but at least worked. Must mean the culprit is air stuck somewhere.

Hope this explains it better.
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venomtail For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 15:43   #103
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks for that - did you find when you got the engine to run, it over-revved a bit? For example, if you didn't touch the throttle it still revved a bit higher than normal for idle speed?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 15:47   #104
venomtail

No, the opposite. The engine revved so slow it eventually stalled. Pushing down on the throttle had no change.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 16:06   #105
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No, the opposite. The engine revved so slow it eventually stalled. Pushing down on the throttle had no change.
That sounds more like a fuel quality problem than air in the system to be honest. When did you last change the fuel filter?

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 17:42   #106
yostumpy

Can you not rig up a temporary fuel supply,with fresh fuel from a fuel can, on gravity feed, its possible you may have 'diesel bug'. If you change your filter again, cut it open,if its black and slimy , then you've got a fungal problem, blocking up filter and pipes.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 23:50   #107
Black dog

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 20:04   #108
venomtail

Quote:
That sounds more like a fuel quality problem than air in the system to be honest. When did you last change the fuel filter?
Trying some more it's the injector signal that's to blame, by not being there. False positive. Car can try and run but that's just compression doing its job. Injector sit idly by.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 15:13   #109
venomtail

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the fuel filter was changed when the oils were changed along with the new timing belt.

And as for the fuel that comes out of the fuel lines connected to the injectors, clear as can be. Not black and slimy as Yostumpy described.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 18:23   #110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the fuel filter was changed when the oils were changed along with the new timing belt.

And as for the fuel that comes out of the fuel lines connected to the injectors, clear as can be. Not black and slimy as Yostumpy described.
Does it look, smell and feel slippery like diesel or clear and wet like water? Have ou tried setting fire to it to see if it will burn?

Might sound as if i'm being facetious but i'm not, i'm being serious. If the injectors are dispensing fuel and the engine still won't run, eliminate the fuel as a possible cause. Put some in a tin can, get an old rag and make a wick so the rag is half in and half out of the can then try and light it. If it won't burn, that's the problem.

Tags
limp mode