Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No headlights, no rear wiper?

Views : 726

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2017, 21:56   #1
slinky1989

Default No headlights, no rear wiper?

Hi All,

I've recently bought a 2000 V40 2.0 petrol (non-turbo).

It's rear wiper isn't working at all (tested it with new wiper motor and still same result, checked fuse in the cabin and no issues there)) and initially the passenger side headlight didn't work on main beam (swapped bulbs, same result, checked fuses in both engine bay and cabin and both ok too).

I've just today replaced the lower radiator hose and when I'd finished and went to move the car, found that neither headlights work any more!

Could I have disturbed the wiring under the radiator while doing the hose clamp? Could that be it? or is it more likely to be a CEM issue?

Are the issues related or 2 separate problems?

Any help would be appreciated!
slinky1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 15:01   #2
slinky1989

Have ordered a CEM today to see if it resolves the issues. Will report back!
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 14:19   #3
Uncle Tom Cobley

Your problem sounds suspiciously like a fault (corrosion) in the wiring loom beneath the radiator. This is a well known problem on these models and you will find multiple references to it on this forum.

While I cannot be certain that the wires to the lights and rear wiper actually are among the large number of wires running in the loom beneath the radiator the fact that the problem arose after having disturbed the wiring loom would strongly indicate this to be the problem. It is also supported by the fact that the fuses, bulbs etc appear OK.

I suffered this problem several years ago and wrote about it on this forum, I suggest you read this before buying any more replacement parts:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=180349
Uncle Tom Cobley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Tom Cobley For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 13:51   #4
slinky1989

Thanks for the suggestion (and very helpful thread) Tom, unfortunately (or furtunately depending on how you look at it) I found no broken wires at all when I got under the car today.

So hopefully it will definitely be the CEM, but if not then I'm a bit lost!
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 16:43   #5
druid
V40 Owner

Dude the only way with the loom is to use a multi tester as the only tell tale is the cable looks a bit swollen. Maybe if your lucky.
To test the thing check the voltage at the holder 12+ at the holder with the bulb in O with it out - iirc.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 20:36   #6
slinky1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Dude the only way with the loom is to use a multi tester as the only tell tale is the cable looks a bit swollen. Maybe if your lucky.
To test the thing check the voltage at the holder 12+ at the holder with the bulb in O with it out - iirc.
Well I replaced the CEM today and whilst this resolved the rear wiper issue, it brought back 1 headlamp but oddly it was the one that originally stopped working.

So I now have 1 working headlamp but it's the one that was ok before they both stopped working??? I think that's progress? ish?

I'll get a multimeter on it from work tomorrow to investigate your suggestion Druid.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinky1989 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cem, light, wiper motor