Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 and crosswinds

Views : 1749

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:39   #1
srtames

Default 340 and crosswinds

When driving on fiarly open roads, my 1.4, 340 steering is very sensitive to crosswinds esp gusts . It feels like it is the front wheels rather than the body beeing affected as the steering wheel tugs.
Has any oher owner suffered this before I check my rack. It was MOTed very recently with no reported defects on the steering .

Thanks, Steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2002, 21:56   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: 340 and crosswinds

Steve,

Welcome to the Crab Club.

My 360 reacts in a similar manner. The car is gusted sideways but the wheels are still grabbing the road so the whole effect feels funny.

Previous 340 also affected in similar way so I suspect that your car is OK mechanically as regards this issue.

It does tend to make you more aware of potential sidewind attacks.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2002, 12:22   #3
karlos

Hi!

My 1.4 340 used to do the same thing.

It was especially noticable on windy days when travelling over a viaduct on a dual-carriageway! Very scary the first few times, but you get used to it.

The feeling I got was when I turned the wheel to try and correct the turning effect of the wind and go back on course, the car seemed to want to (exaggerated) tip forwards in the direction of the wind!?!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Karl
Old May 30th, 2002, 15:03   #4
srtames

Thats useful to know the 360 also does suffer from crosswinds as I would have thought Volvo would have sorted it with the extra power.
I wonder if the 740 also has the same problem as it has a similar slab side but I am sure it is the wheels responding as watching Transit vans pass they seem less affected!

Steve

srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2002, 22:13   #5
garrygaz

It must be a Volvo thing. My 340CVT does it, and my old 240GL was very sensitive to crosswinds as well!!
Regards,
Garry
Old May 31st, 2002, 22:11   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

its most likely the terrible aerodynamics.

i noticed on a recent motorway trip that the bonnet on our 360 dips down during gusts, and i had to work very hard when overtaking lorries not to loose it totally (but it was at 80 on a very windy day - i calmed it down a bit after that!!)

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 00:43   #7
sheerwater
Master Member

My 940 used to suffer until I fitted new shocks. Seeed to solve half the problem. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:39   #8
dumfuck83

I felt this with my 340 but have found that the car is far more stable and handles better with the 14 in wheels.
Old Jun 19th, 2002, 15:40   #9
Gavin Campbell

This is one of the few things that I don't like about my beloved Flying Wedge. It still scares me from time to time, even after four years :o. I had a new steering rack fitted last December after the old one gave up the ghost and it hasn't helped the crosswind problem.
Old Jun 27th, 2002, 23:31   #10
echo69

My 340 saloon and my dads 340 CVT were/are awful for it, but my 360 GLT, with the alloys (15in? maybe 14), was so much better. Only really strong winds or fast speeds (you need not worry about the latter as it was fine up to the legal limit and no one here goes over that, obviously) had any effect on it. I'm not so hot with physics but I think it could be because the tyres are wider. Dunno though.