Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jammed Lock on Boot Lid

Views : 18018

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:47   #1
joet63

Unhappy Jammed Lock on Boot Lid

Hi Everyone, newbie here, Just want to say I'm hooked into the forum already, cooool!

My problem is, my boot lid lock is jammed, I pressed the fob to open the boot at the same time as pressing the boot lid lock and it jammed! How stoopid I say to myself!

Any help, ideas or tips to unlock my boot would be very much appreciated!

Joe
joet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:54   #2
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Hi Joe,you will have to lower the rear seat back rests and crawl into the boot and remove the boot clips,Philips screws and pop out the insert,then partially pull the panel to one side and you should be able to see the link bar to the catch,give this a tug and it should release.

then its a case of repositioning the plastic release cam on the lock.

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:57   #3
DRILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet63 View Post
Hi Everyone, newbie here, Just want to say I'm hooked into the forum already, cooool!

My problem is, my boot lid lock is jammed, I pressed the fob to open the boot at the same time as pressing the boot lid lock and it jammed! How stoopid I say to myself!

Any help, ideas or tips to unlock my boot would be very much appreciated!

Joe
keep on locking and unlocking with the fob it will unjam its self

if not, lock and unlock and use the key to open the boot

mine usually jams when one uses the key to unlock the boot when i have used the fob to lock the car

so i always fiddle like i have discribed above and it unjams it

Last edited by DRILL; Sep 4th, 2010 at 13:55.
DRILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:15   #4
joet63

Hi Grasshopper, Drill, Thank you for such prompt replies, I will try both of your fixes I did try the fob method but it didnt budge Drill, I will try again though, as for crawlin' in the boot, I not a wee lad anymore but I will have a go Grasshopper!

I'll post my results of my endeavours, again thanks guys
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 14:04   #5
DRILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet63 View Post
Hi Grasshopper, Drill, Thank you for such prompt replies, I will try both of your fixes I did try the fob method but it didnt budge Drill, I will try again though, as for crawlin' in the boot, I not a wee lad anymore but I will have a go Grasshopper!

I'll post my results of my endeavours, again thanks guys

the locking and unlocking with the fob then manual use the key to open always does the trick for me though it takes time and it tries your patience, even myself i dont always get right from the first try but it works though i dont have the step by step instructions to follow

just remember to open manually in both fob locked and unlocked
DRILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 22:46   #6
Ningr01

Hiya, if it helps, ive just had the boot lock also fail to open.
the cause was the black 'o'-ring weather seal that goes around the pressable bit of the lock where your key goes in.
spray with a little WD40 or similar, and the press button then glides over it and you can feel it click and release.

good luck.
Ningr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 23:52   #7
manoman48
Master Member

Push the boot button all the way in as you try to unlock it. It's a fairly regular trick of my better half's and that always does the trick.
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 17:51   #8
joet63

Hi everyone, thank you all for your help,

I managed to open the boot with the key fob and using the key itself!
I did try the inside route but the grommet screws just kept spinning and wouldn't undo!!! pain in the backside or what.

Again, thank you guys for your input and help, this forum is a great place to be!!

By the way guys, I just had the MOT done on Thursday and my lovely S40 needs only the rear brakes cleaned out, not bad for a 10year old lady!

Keep on rockin!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 00:10   #9
pittarig

Unhappy Boot Lid Problems

Hi, just new to this. My volvos boot lid has a life of its own. It pops open while I'm driving and I have to pull over to close it. When I arrive at my destination and turn the engine off, it pops open again. I close it, lock the doors and check it but when I return..hey presto...open. Then it decides it's not going to open at all for weeks despite trying everything. I dont put anything in the boot now for fear of never seeing it again. Two boxes of Thorntons chocs were locked in for 6 weeks until it popped open again of its own accord halfway down the A9. There is no pattern to this, it's completely random. It opens when I start the car, switch it off, while driving and when it's sitting on its own. There are brief periods when it is no problem at all. It's been to the garage twice and on each occasion has behaved perfectly making me look stupid. Does anyone else have this problem?
The chocolates had turned white by the time I opened them.
pittarig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:09   #10
Ryan Canning

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningr01 View Post
Hiya, if it helps, ive just had the boot lock also fail to open.
the cause was the black 'o'-ring weather seal that goes around the pressable bit of the lock where your key goes in.
spray with a little WD40 or similar, and the press button then glides over it and you can feel it click and release.

good luck.
Brilliant tip. I was looking on line to buy a whole new lock and latch when I stumbled across this thread. I took your advice and set about the lock with a can of WD40 and the lock is now working fine. Saved me a lot of hassle and best part of fifty quid. Thanks. Ryan.
Ryan Canning is offline   Reply With Quote