Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Door stay

Views : 883

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2003, 09:32   #1
Roo
T5 - White

Default 850 T5 Door stay

Having owned my T5 for a couple of weeks now, (and very happy I am too) it has given me the chance to find the things that aren't quite right that you miss on a test drive. Firstly, on my drivers door, the stay that holds the door from opening right out isnt working. I believe it should open about half way and hold itself then fully open and hold itself. Is this an easy on to fix? Also, my drivers seat no longer adjusts height wise. The lever moves as it should but nothing happens to the seat. Thirdly, my electric aerial has portions of it seized. Can the unit be removed easily to be cleaned/soaked? (I believe its just crusted up with gunk) Many thanks in advance, a bit of a long winded question but these things are really annoying me!
Andy
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:08   #2
pault5

Default RE: 850 T5 Door stay

hello andy,
the door stay broke on the drivers side on my 850 t5 about a year ago. it is a common fault. get a new one from volvo it is not expensive. you will need to remove the door trim. i found the job quite fiddly! the hardest part is getting the stay the correct way round. in saying that it only took me just over an hour.
hope that helps.
paul.
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:49   #3
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

As to the electric aerial (antenna), assuming it isnt bent, try the WD40 trick ie spray onto a rag and lots of wiping up and down and powering the radio on and off/ switch if you have one and you will be amazed at the gunk. Repeat on a weekly basis and you will find full extension and retraction are improved.

Tony
'92 945 S 150K

The Moon is 238857 miles distant from the Earth so I've been to the moon and back in mine...and it only took me 14 years!
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 15:09   #4
markas
VOC Member

Hiya Andy,

first as mentioned about the door stay, use need to remove the door panelling. This is done by removing the torx screws at the bottom of the panel, then the small black screw insert near bottom facing the fron tof the car. remove the grab haddle and remove the inseryted trim by pulling down and torwards you. three are 3 plastic plugs that normally need replacing. They have changed the design to a black pinch but its no better.Pop of the speaker panel and remove the speak and its cabling. Now the cover will come off by pushing up carefully. takes min 5 mins The stay is protected behind a cover remove this.

For your seat are we talking mechanical one here? You will need to extrsct the sear out of the car to work on it properally. Remove the four bolts and be careful with the cabling the t-stat for the electric seat are fagile!

Last the aerial can be a pain. The easist thing firstly to do is undo the 14mm nut(i think it is) and then switch on the audio. Quickly catch if it does come out on its own the arial. Make sure you take note of the direction of the cogged teeth. If it is rellay bad a replacment mast can be purchased from the dealer at about 20 quid or europarts. To clean you old one use chrome cleaner a few times until is sparkles and then manual see if if will restract and extent easily. You can also check to see if it is bent in anyway way too.

To put the ariel back in feed it in with the teeth in the dirdction they came out, YOU DID WATCH? until it hits the hole in the base. Now you need to switch the head unit off and feed the ariel back in. Tighten the nut and withc the head unit back on. twith the mast full extended now wd40 and wipe it.

thats it
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 11:06   #5
Roo
T5 - White

Wow! Excellent replies and so in depth too. Many thanks, im now going to go christmas shopping so I think a trip to Volvo is in order for a door stay! By the way, the seat is a manual one but has the pre-tensoner and side airbag. I presume this is a case of removing the battery and letting the car sit for a while before attempting to remove the seat? once again, thank you for the replies, I just need to find the time to do them now!
Andy
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 19:48   #6
BilboBagginss

I've just done my door stay, took no more than about 25mins all up(including refitting trim).

Only one slight minor pain in the backside: my broken check strap was bolted to the side of the door(i.e nuts fixed inside the door), whereas the new one had the bolts fixed to the strap plate thus I had too find a couple of nuts to fix the plate in place. I don't if they changed the design, but it might be worth making sure you have a couple of suitable sized nuts just in case!

Apart from that, it's a doddle to do.

Car is an early '96 T5.

B.
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 20:43   #7
Mike Smith
Master Member

Glad alls well, interestingly I posted similar comments a year ago! however I've just done another one for a mate of mine and the strap was the same as the one I took off!! seems volvo stock both types?

Regards
Mike Smith
----------
96 850 GLT
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 21:06   #8
BilboBagginss

I knew that box of odd nuts and bolts would come in useful lol.
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 21:56   #9
cootuk
Premier Member

The side air bags will need to be physically disarmed...I believe there is a lever you turn to do this? I can't remember the exact details, but it should be in your owner manual.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 16:05   #10
Roo
T5 - White

Well I managed to find some time to work on the car today, had the wheels re-balanced as they had the clip on weights on and I prefer the 'sticky' type. Also got the tracking laser aligned just to make sure everythings in check. After inspection, I decided the electric aerial was past its best so I bought a new mast along with a new check strap from Volvo. Mast took about 5 minutes to do and the check strap took about half an hour to do and all with no spanner rash lol. My check strap was the type that required two nuts but I had some at the ready!

Andy