Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 mk2 - Electronic Nightmare - Errors / dashboard lights

Views : 1522

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 12:50   #1
sbk1972

Default C70 mk2 - Electronic Nightmare - Errors / dashboard lights

Hi all,

Just drove home from the super market and my c70's electrics have gone haywire. Dash was flash lots of lights, rev countr working / not working. windows not going up or down. Park system erorrs.

So I checked the battery and that is 13v / charging at 14v

Tons of errors in my reader

6D0D - Control module initialistion of window
E001 - Control module communication faulty
DE42 - Communication with DDM control module . singal missing.

I cleared lots of faults but the above stay the one. windows are working apart from rear drivers.

Questions -

Where is the DDm located ? I waished the car last night and I wonder if water has got in somewhere. I had a similar issue with Ml55 and the cam bus went ballastic due to a plug half knocked out. Took me 4 months and removal of dash to fix that.

Where are the common spots where water / ecus meet ?

Simon
sbk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 14:40   #2
pinballdave

DDM is Driver's Door Module, and is the ECU box attached to the window motor in the drivers door. This is another one that would usually point to wiring problems in the loom to the drivers door. or the Dash/A-Pillar loom to the CEM.

The rear windows are controlled via the DDM, Each rear door motor is controlled via a LIN bus connection to the DDM, which is in turn controlled by the CEM over the CAN bus.

If you've been working on the door, and the plastic sheet that keeps moisture away from the door card is poorly sealed, then water may be able to get through to the wiring/modules on the door.

With your generic fault codes, you really need to know which individual modules are giving these errors. With VIDA all codes are prefixed by the module, your "E001 - Control module communication faulty" could be coming from anywhere, there are multiple modules that can give an E001 code. Is it a CEM-E001, DIM-E001, TCM-E001?

Also when "everything goes haywire", but the car returns to normal after stopping and restarting, it's the fault codes that turn up once and don't return after they are cleared out that can be really useful to determine where an intermittent fault lies.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 15:50   #3
sbk1972

Thanks pinball.

After work I plan to remove door card...AGAIN. Will be 19th time. lol. Will check connectors and loom for breaks.

Then I plan to tackle a Piller carpet / loom

Then I will check fuse box under glove box to ensure it isn't wet

Then I will pour 5litres of unleaded over it and burn it

Simon
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 20:40   #4
Teddy1975

That 'fuse box' (CEM) under the glove box just so happens to be the brains of the car. There's a lot more going on there than a quick glance might indicate.

Best of luck.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 21:31   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I've been reading your threads. I know it was cheap but it does sound like you bought someone else's failed project
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 06:44   #6
sbk1972

I think your right. I don't think I was told the full story about this car. Or but trying to fix one issue I've introduced lots of others lol

I've kept a log on costs and currently I'm not that much into it and could sell it for more, which I am considering if honest. My motivation is dropping I've got to say.

Simon
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 12:24   #7
valentim99

Lightbulb

That is a symptom of earth wire issue, before spending a lot of money in other stuff try connecting a 3mm minimum copper wire cable and connect from battery minus to engine with the car off and key out of ignition, wait a few minutes and them get key to position 2 of ignition wait a few seconds and start engine, all the gremellins should be gone now , if it subsists go to fuse box on passenger side under the glove box take it out and with electric cleaner spray , clean fuses terminals one by one. And you should be sorted for sure.
valentim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 19:05   #8
sbk1972

Thanks valinetim.

Since dropping my cem and reseating and cleaning connectors I haven't seen the error again. However I will remember this trick if it happens again

SBK