Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Servicing' the C70 roof mechanism

Views : 2149

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2017, 09:58   #11
Phillg1986

Hi, when cleaning all the roof seals and lubricating them is it ok to stop the roof mid cycle?? Ive been warned not to do this as it can really screw it up? At what point do i release the button? Do i leave ignition on and when finished continue taking the roof back down fully and the back up fully?
Cheers
Phill

Last edited by Phillg1986; Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:04.
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 12:44   #12
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Yes, that's the only way. Volvo specify a 'service position' which you can only get precisely by using VIDA to control the roof, but you can judge it pretty well just by eye. It's the point where the front section and the rear window section are just about to intersect at the corners, above the mid-section. This keeps all the weight as central as possible on the struts, while allowing access to the seals at front and back of the mid-section as well as all the sides.

I don't think it makes any difference which way you approach service position (opening vs. closing), but I find it's easiest to do it opening from the up/closed position. Tip: you only have to have your foot on the brake to start the roof moving, you don't have to keep it on there. So you can keep a finger on your right had on the button but get out, turn round and watch the roof go backwards. Just release the button when you see the roof approach intersection.

What the roof doesn't like is when you don't complete an open/close operation, and reverse it instead. So when you're done with your cleaning & lubrication, complete the opening of the roof (you'll have to touch the brake again) before closing it.

Hope you get a good dry warm day to do it. Don't forget to have a good look at all the frighteningly complex and expensive bits of mechanism while you're in there!

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 06:11   #13
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thanks, Ian, I'm not ignoring you by the way!

Malcolm
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 08:33   #14
Phillg1986

Thanks for the advice!
The roof is really irritating me at the moment, when it is closed it seems to make a lot of noise from the seal areas, like a dull clunk, at first I thought it was suspension issues bu tit sounds like it is coming from the roof area aound the joints. Does anyone else have this can it be tightened up or anything? It really drives me mad as its no longer a relaxing drive along with a clicking drivers seat on turns, its pretty annoying! Disapointed really as my 16 year old ZT had no rattles
Cheers
Phill
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 16:08   #15
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillg1986 View Post
Thanks for the advice!
The roof is really irritating me at the moment, when it is closed it seems to make a lot of noise from the seal areas, like a dull clunk, at first I thought it was suspension issues bu tit sounds like it is coming from the roof area aound the joints. Does anyone else have this can it be tightened up or anything? It really drives me mad as its no longer a relaxing drive along with a clicking drivers seat on turns, its pretty annoying! Disapointed really as my 16 year old ZT had no rattles
Cheers
Phill
You're welcome

The seat clicking is something to do with the side impact protection system. Lubrication in the right spot will sort it, there are how-to posts in various forum sections for the newer models that have that feature. Search is your friend!

I learned to live with that one, but a dull clunk/creak from the roof was a contributing factor to my eventual decision to trade in my previous C70. Initially it was just a middle of summer thing on odd hot days when I left the roof up. But as the car got older and flexed more, it happened at lower and lower temps until it would only stop beneath about 10°C.

AFAIK it wasn't an issue of dry seals (I always kept them well treated with Krytox), it was something in substantially heavier contact than that. On that car it was mainly on the passenger side. I once had the front roof section headlining out and tested that I could make the noise stop if (with someone else driving) I shoved a hand between the roof and the windscreen top and deliberately pushed the roof upwards as much as possible (about ¼" at the corner). All I can think is that it must have been somewhere around the locking points at the top of the windscreen, or the mechanisms in the front roof section that lock into them. Despite keeping all of these well lubricated, I never could find what was causing it.

There were a couple of other times that the noise stopped completely for about 2 weeks, after the car had been in garages for various things. I think on those occasions it had been up on a 4-point lift under the jacking points. Various unsubstantiated theories - OK, wild guesses - occurred to me including the effects of settling on the suspension, and the possible straightening & resumption of a very slight bow in the floorpan, from the change in the amounts and pivot points of the various weights upon/suspended from it ... like I said, ideas most probably not even thought through properly!

If anyone else has any ideas to put forward about clunk/creak noises from the roof, please feel free to throw them in here. The more the merrier to bear in mind if/when the new car starts to go the same way

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 18:29   #16
Phillg1986

Its strange really, today it was bearable. But last night it was driving me crazy!! When i picked her up last week no noticable noise from the roof and was impressed by it. Maybe when they washed it before collecting the sills got lubricated with water temporarily? Also i notice its better after leaving overnight, like it all tightens up maybe. I will try washing the rubber seals and lubricating with some kind of grease if im feeling brave enough to stop the roof mid way!
Phill
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 19:22   #17
Sysyphus

My '09, just turned a 100,000 miles a few weeks ago, has it's fair share of creaks, groans and rattles...

Might be my imagination but it seems to get better if I open and close the roof... and I'm making sense of that by telling myself that it's due to expansion/contraction caused by changes in temperature after the roof is closed.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 19:26   #18
Phillg1986

Yeah mine is the same lower and raise and it seems much better, also think temperature plays a part. Can I buy some kind of lubricant that is safe to use from Halfords?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 20:03   #19
Sysyphus

Lots of people swear by "Gummi Pflege" - not sure if it's available in retail stores, I got mine from Amazon, wasn't expensive.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 20:16   #20
Phillg1986

Yeah i have some of that may try it on them.. was also thinking of using this
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...hoCbwwQAvD_BwE

On it and the dodgy seat noise