Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Finally got round to transmission flush

Views : 2098

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 18:01   #11
Spirit Man

I enquired at my last service at the dealer (Aug22) regards a transmission fluid flush and was given a quote of £468. I'll do it myself, I'll also do the Haldex fluid change.
Spirit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 18:07   #12
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Nice one ! Where did you read that claim about being sealed for life ? It's internet bunkum being spread around and people believe everything published on the internet of course.... Volvo have never stated that. In fact it has been on their List of Optional service items since 1982 .
That's true - but as we both know it is not a scheduled Volvo service item, nor do they publicise it as an option - and experiences with Volvo Dealers when asking/presenting for this service are variable to say the least.

In my case, the Dealer swore blind it wasn't a service item, despite my insistence, and only this week another poster on this Forum experienced a simple sump drop, not the ATF change he booked.

Sometimes if it quacks like a duck, you know.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 18:13   #13
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
That's true - but as we both know it is not a scheduled Volvo service item, nor do they publicise it as an option - and experiences with Volvo Dealers when asking/presenting for this service are variable to say the least.

In my case, the Dealer swore blind it wasn't a service item, despite my insistence, and only this week another poster on this Forum experienced a simple sump drop, not the ATF change he booked.

Sometimes if it quacks like a duck, you know.
How would you be able tell if they just did a sump drop rather than a full fluid exchange? Is there another thread I've missed?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 18:15   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
How would you be able tell if they just did a sump drop rather than a full fluid exchange? Is there another thread I've missed?
The poster said that the bill was reduced and the Dealer explained why. Search my posts and you'll see I responded on his thread.

ETA
My local Indy is this chap, uses this system to change the whole lot in one go, and at a fair price:

https://www.tyrepress.com/2018/04/ed...r-horton-cars/

And the video:

https://youtu.be/v9zO_s7STZg

Last edited by Bonefishblues; Jan 15th, 2023 at 18:19.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 22:25   #15
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davlers View Post
Hi I posted a bit back asking about transmission flush..delivery problems and postal strike meant I have only just got the stuff.
So I dumped the sump and refilled drove for 30 or so miles then repeated I then reverted to being a lazy sod and did a sump dump while working through the gears opening up the solenoids...and went through about 16 litres. It's nice a red now and the gear changes are almost invisible. I'm altogether very happy with the outcome and you can see from the picture the sealed for life claim is absolute rubbish. Cheers just thought I follow up on my first post
How many miles are on your car? Just out of interest

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 22:42   #16
Davlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
How many miles are on your car? Just out of interest
Hi...it's just rolled over 80k
Davlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 09:08   #17
Pointer7

I had mine done at 60k, had to ask Volvo to do it as they said it never needs changing but as you have proven that's codswallop...

Night and day difference when mine was done even though it doesn't lead a particularly hard life, fresh oil does no harm at all
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 09:13   #18
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer7 View Post
I had mine done at 60k, had to ask Volvo to do it as they said it never needs changing but as you have proven that's codswallop...

Night and day difference when mine was done even though it doesn't lead a particularly hard life, fresh oil does no harm at all
That's the service interval typically specced on the AW boxes by other manufacturers.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 11:26   #19
Davlers

I bought mine specifically to tow a caravan and I remember reading somewhere it didn't need changing unless it's used for towing or as a taxi. So I looked for one without a tow bar fitted and full service history (no atf flush listed anywhere in the history) so I assume it hasn't had a hard life so was surprised at the colour of what I dropped out of it.
Davlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 16:22   #20
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Can you not just keep replacing identical volumes of fluid as you go instead of monitoring ATF temperature to 50 degrees C to set the level?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote