Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new door speakers????

Views : 948

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 13:22   #1
440ovlovman

Volvo 440 front door speakers seem to be 5" dia. Any ideas on a good
sounding/price piece of kit to replace them please?

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 18:25   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: new door speakers????

Hi..

Im currently using a set of Pioneer TSA-1310 (i thinks thats the correct model i.d.) 13cm/5" speakers-they are part of Pioneer's "Accelerate" range. They have a max output of 150 watts, but the actual RMS is only 35 watts. They have integrated tweeters, and produce a very good top end sound. However, i only use these (have a pair in the back too) for middle and top-end, as i have 2 x 12" Subs to provide the bass. I have no bass running through theese 13cm speakers at all. They are also wired up to an amp, rather than just off the headunit for sound control. So for top end vocals, they are really good, but don't expect anything ground-breaking on the bass front! Did only cost £35 for a pair though last year. Bargain!

Dan M
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 23:35   #3
terrastudios

hey, for the front id suggest you use components rather than coaxials - youll find that you have tweeters on the front pillars anyway by default from volvo, if you put coaxials in your doors youve got four tweeters at the front and its going to muck up your sound stage. your best bet is to either get some components and decide whether or not to keep the original volvo in the pillars or change with your new components tweeters - but its a bit of a pig to get new tweeters in the pillars took me a few hours to do.

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 17:44   #4
440ovlovman

Ended up getting the Sony XSF1331 about £30 locally, £24 on the web but with £7 postage. Nice to support local firm who have been keeeping our 2 ancient vovlos going for a decade or so.
Halfrauds wanted about £44 for the same speakers.
Fine until I put all together and tried to wind down the window as the covers/grills stood too proud - ended up putting the original Volvo ones back on as they fitted into the recess on the door rather that cut new hole and spend aeons trying again for the bigger Sony covers.
Sound briliant alongside the bigger speakers that I have got under the front seats. The comapsrison with one original spkr on the left door and the new one in the right door was amazing. Worth £30.
Looks - ?? well, looks like normal chap Volvo speakers!!
My sound system is now sponsored ny Anadin!!
Thanks for help and info folks.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:21   #5
TomPG

Hello there,

Just noticed this forum when searching for an S40 T4 I was tempted to buy!

I used to have a 460 SXI and loved it until the understeer got the better of me (wrote it off :( ) but I think I may be able to help with regards to the speakers!

Personally I thought the standard speakers in my 460 were fantastic and I never had any problems with them but when I got my new car (MK4 fiesta ghia) I discovered all stereos were not equal and I set about upgrading the system. This is a very addictive habit and one not to be taken lightly!

Anyways, have a look at www.talkaudio.co.uk where a lot of us know a fair bit about car audio and we're priveleged to get personal responses from people behind JL audio, Alpine and loads of other leading manufacturers.

Cheers,

Tom
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 15:28   #6
cockneycolin

Hey,
I've just fitted a JL Audio Component kit from there VR Series. These are about middle of the JL Range, but they sound great. I had them running off the head unit and the bass was clear and crisp with great quality vocals. I now have them running of an Alpine amp with a seperate Alpine Sub so no bass is coming through them at all. They sound really good with all types of music. They cost me £200 about 6 months ago so they're not cheap at all but they do make you smile. I've installed the tweaters in the actual doors and not where the standard ones were.
If this is a bit to pricey, I've swoped the standard rear speakers for a set of Focal Access Co-Axials. These are also a 5" dia so would fit in the front doors to. Again the sound quality is superb, but not quite as good as the JL's. They were less than half the price though at £89 but I recon they're worth it.

Hope this helps you out.

Colin W