Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc70 key will not turn

Views : 2169

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 11:15   #1
waynedear

Default xc70 key will not turn

After a battle to get the old girl through an mot she has given me a new problem, drove home from work perfectly, an hour or so later went to start her and the key only goes to position 1.
I have looked at the threads regarding removal of the bottom cover, remove 2 screws for starter bit, key in ignition to position 1 and start with a screwdriver. (car is manual)
Also read about prising the metal panel under the barrel, I have done that.
Now my key will not even go to position 1.
Any help, advice will be gratefully received 🤞
waynedear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 13:03   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

A year often helps.
I bet you've encountered a bad lock cylinder.
Likely you own an '06 or '07, like mine. but it can happen in any P2.

When mine jammed up the videos featured removal of the lock cylinder and all manner of disassembly. Weighing the cost of a new cylinder + dealership installation, $630 if I remember correctly against the $320 cost of ordering the new cylinder (through dealership-use your existing keys) + the small but real chance of messing it up, I decided to go with the dealership.

I'm left with the impression that one or another of the cylinder's parts wasn't wire-wheeled or lubed properly, resulting in a hang up. Either that or a "clearance critical" part was made from out-of-spec material.

Since the second scenario would've been difficult to remedy, my brain went to new parts with the Volvo "Repaired for Life" guarantee we had here at the time.
Also I considered removing any and all guts from the cylinder thus rendering it a mere place holder for my key such that the immobilizer would still function but the specter of a loose, free-to-spin cylinder seemed possibly dangerous.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 13:15   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

There's normally two methods, you either cut through the shear bolts holding the barrel housing together if the car has them or insert the key and there might be a small area to push down on in the housing which releases the barrel.

I can't 100% say Volvo's are done this way but these type of things are normally industry standard hth.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 15:28   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

This is a common issue across the range and it happened on my XC90 which has exactly the same barrel and lock assembly as the S60 one in the video and your XC70. The video explains everything very well and the fix is permanent and FREE.

I sorted it this way over 3 years ago and used a small high tensile bolt rather than a cotter pin in the video but the cotter pin would seem to be a good choice if you had one handy...

The security bolts were not an issue as I used a dremmel to cut a slot and then unscrewed them. I used two new allen bolts on reassembly.

Watch the video BUT it's entirely up to YOU if you decide to sort it this way.
Your choice and not my responsibility.

Mine has been perfect since and about 1 hour sorted it. I also used a bit of Epoxy resin to totally secure the retaining pin/bolt for good.

As the guy in the video says, the steering lock will no longer be operative but you need the key to start it and believe me the steering lock will not deter a determined thief. 👍

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 23rd, 2022 at 15:45.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 20:42   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

While the video is helpful be very careful if you use his method, if his pin should drop out or fail there is a chance the lock lug could re-engage while you are in motion.

Now I know it's a one in a big number possibility but late 1960's Rovers killed quite a few people including a mate of mine because without any modification the steering lock would just decide to lock while the car was in use, my mate left the motorway and ended up upside down in a waterway and died 3 weeks later without gaining consciousness.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 21:02   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
While the video is helpful be very careful if you use his method, if his pin should drop out or fail there is a chance the lock lug could re-engage while you are in motion.

Now I know it's a one in a big number possibility but late 1960's Rovers killed quite a few people including a mate of mine because without any modification the steering lock would just decide to lock while the car was in use, my mate left the motorway and ended up upside down in a waterway and died 3 weeks later without gaining consciousness.

NO IT CAN'T

Watch and LISTEN to the video again.

The point that you are incorrectly making is clearly covered at 4minutes and 13 seconds.

With the key in and the car running the lock lug cannot fall.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 23rd, 2022 at 21:13.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 22:14   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
NO IT CAN'T

Watch and LISTEN to the video again.

The point that you are incorrectly making is clearly covered at 4minutes and 13 seconds.

With the key in and the car running the lock lug cannot fall.
It probably can't but for the sake of a new barrel is it worth the risk, besides even though the fella is capable I don't see lock designer in his cv
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 23:01   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Think about it, under normal circumstances, the lock lug disengages when the key is inserted and turned.
If it has been pinned in the retracted position and you have the key in and car running, even if the fix failed the lock lug cannot descend because the key prevents it.

If I was the OP I would ignore the video that I posted and follow your advice buying a new assembly for peace of mind.
In the meantime I will put up with the daily risk of my modified barrel killing everyone in the vicinity.👍

Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 23:26   #9
waynedear

Thank you everyone, I hope it works for me 😁
waynedear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waynedear For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 06:50   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Mine has been no bother at all over the last 3 years and the guy in the video started much the same.
Once again, I must stress for my own peace of mind , only do this if you feel happy about it and are capable.
It's not hard BUT it's down to you not me if you have any issues whatsoever.

Good luck. 👍

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: