Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In need of help!!!!!!! DPF problems...

Views : 1446

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 12:44   #1
cjbnufc

Default In need of help!!!!!!! DPF problems...

Good afternoon,

Firstly sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place!!

I'm having problems with my 2005 55 s40 2.0d sport.Its done 56k miles and fully volvo serviced. It has randomly started to go into limp home mode. I tried OBD and searched the codes on here and it was 'DPF sensor fault' and 'DPF sensor circuit error'. It is only a cheap OBD reader though. Reading the threads on here it is one of three problems, 1. DPF itself is nacked or blocked. 2. DPF sensor. or 3. the fluid stuff that re-genirates the DPF is empty.

The car will run fine sometimes for a couple of days or even longer then some days it will stay in restricted revs for as long as it wants.

Im after advice on what to try first in a sort of process of elimination. I was thinking of changing the sensor as I can get a new one for £100 ish.

Any help/advice very much appreciated!!!!!

Colin
cjbnufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 15:31   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbnufc View Post
Good afternoon,

Firstly sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place!!

I'm having problems with my 2005 55 s40 2.0d sport.Its done 56k miles and fully volvo serviced. It has randomly started to go into limp home mode. I tried OBD and searched the codes on here and it was 'DPF sensor fault' and 'DPF sensor circuit error'. It is only a cheap OBD reader though. Reading the threads on here it is one of three problems, 1. DPF itself is nacked or blocked. 2. DPF sensor. or 3. the fluid stuff that re-genirates the DPF is empty.

The car will run fine sometimes for a couple of days or even longer then some days it will stay in restricted revs for as long as it wants.

Im after advice on what to try first in a sort of process of elimination. I was thinking of changing the sensor as I can get a new one for £100 ish.

Any help/advice very much appreciated!!!!!

Colin
Hi Colin , DEFINITELY do not start spending money changing anything UNTIL you have had the codes read properly and then post the codes on here.

If you ask on here there will probably be someone reasonably nearby who may have the equipment and will do it for nothing or go to a dealer and get them done. At least that way you will know what the fault actually is.

That £100 sensor may fix nothing and that is an awful lot of money to spend in the hope it might fix it.

Sorry if i sound negative i am just trying to make sure you get this fixed quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Dec 21st, 2011 at 16:39.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 17:03   #3
cjbnufc

Fault codes are p2452 DPF diff pressure sensor circuit range/performance and p2453 DPF press sensor A circuit malfunction
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 17:58   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

sometimes the generic code reader can give you false codes.
mike
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 18:52   #5
cjbnufc

These codes came from a good quality OBD
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 19:36   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

not doubting that it is not good quality just making you aware that the generic code reader can give you the wrong info..
mike
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 19:38   #7
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

with the volvo specific codes the information is there on how to repair and what to replace.
mike
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:24   #8
Tapani

Default DPF & TDCs

Hi, some time back I had my D5 serviced by dealer as it got oil into coolant, they left the stuck-open-thermostat in the car and I got DPF TDC and low power as the engine didn't get warm enough for DPF regeneration.
New thermostat, forced regeneration and sw upgrade with €€€ was needed.

If you are a city driver and still have starts without DPF TDC just make sure your car gets warm and make landscape tour for 1to2 hours to make the regeneration hapen. If no help then get the Volvo codes ... and £££.

br Tapsa
Tapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 20:49   #9
tommy309

if you have that faut its almost certainly a differential pressure sensor OR the two rubber pipes which connect the sensor to the particle filter, there get very hot and some wil harden to such a degree if u just touch them they break into bits, but the differential pressure sensor is a common fault with them
tommy309 is offline   Reply With Quote