Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4 Volvo's and I had to drive a Fiat today.....WTF??

Views : 1179

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 19:51   #1
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Default 4 Volvo's and I had to drive a Fiat today.....WTF??

So, the S70 dieaseal refused to start, It blocked on the 740 and the petrol S70, and the V40 wouldn't even drive out over the snow

So, headed shopping in SWMBO's Punto, and I must say, it done very well in the snow

Anyway, the dieaseal I'm assuming had frozen diesel, at 11.30 this morning, it was showing -8 and a friend of mine said it was -15 at 7.30am, anyway, at 4pm, and a fresh battery, temp showing -4, car started. So, I'm thinking, I'll move the V40, put it to the top of the drive out of the way, with the 740 infront of it and leave the Punto and the 2 S70's out so I won't be caught out getting to work.

So, goes to the V40, battery flat.....

Move on to the 740, started, cleared, but no heater....

Move on to the petrol S70, flat battery.....

Moral of the story, in conditions similar to Sweden....... Buy a Fiat lol

Not only all this, I figured the petrol S70 isn't worth arguing with tonight, as its under 6" of snow, I got the V40 running, moved it from its resting place, moved the S70TDi & Punto to the street and the 740, into the V40, tried to reverse up the drive, not happening, turned around, 4th attempt, up she goes, 3 attempts and the S70TDi parked where the V40 was, that things like a tractor (when its running lol), onto the 740, 15mins later, still not in the drive, scraped 2 paths for the tyres and went for grit, another 10mins of trying, and finally got it up the driveway, and the Punto, well, its drove right in as if there was no snow at all

RANT OVER lol

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 20:16   #2
johnnyv70
Master Member

lmao,, would of give up and gone and had a cuppa,lol, must admit though my v70 over the last 2 days has took the knock, got it going lastnight about 8 ish, quick spin up the motorway and thought that should be ok for today...wrong..went out and tried this morning and yep flat again, so I would say the battery has had enough of this cold weather aswell,going to lend a charger of a mate tomorrow, get the battery tested, and see what happens before I shell out for a new battery......and thats only with 1 car,lol...

john
johnnyv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 20:22   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Both the S70's have new battery's, fitted this year, not cheap ones either, and I had all 4 cars running and cleared last Wednesday, and all bar the V40 started perfectly

Kind of disappointed that Volvo didn't allow for diesel freezing below -8, I think it might have been to do with the fact it was A) so cold and B ) parked on top of snow

Tomorrow will tell.....

The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 21:06   #4
johnnyv70
Master Member

so do you think its just the minus tempretures thats to blame or the battery,s kput...would a slow charge bring it back to life....

john
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 21:13   #5
Ragamuffin
Master Member

If. and only if it is diesel freezing, put a cupful of petrol in the tank when you get it running. Stops the diesel re-freezing.
Ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 21:15   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Could be just extreme cold, my V40 I think needs a battery, the petrol S70 has a history of draining the battery when its not used, so that combined with the temp could answer that one.

Battery's generally have a 3 year life, so if its around 3 years old, I'd say it needs replaced, especially going flat over night. This is the weather that will test a battery. Be worth checking the acid if its not a sealed battery, a dry cell will cause the same issues

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 21:18   #7
johnnyv70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Could be just extreme cold, my V40 I think needs a battery, the petrol S70 has a history of draining the battery when its not used, so that combined with the temp could answer that one.

Battery's generally have a 3 year life, so if its around 3 years old, I'd say it needs replaced, especially going flat over night. This is the weather that will test a battery. Be worth checking the acid if its not a sealed battery, a dry cell will cause the same issues
thanks Andy, will check all tomorrow

john
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 21:18   #8
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60 Turbo View Post
If. and only if it is diesel freezing, put a cupful of petrol in the tank when you get it running. Stops the diesel re-freezing.
Nice one

When you say a cup full, I'm not a fan of mixing petrol and diesel, I heard about so-called mechanics at it to get cars to pass the diesel smoke test

So, would 1/2lt to a full tank be enough? Maybe add 1lt of engine oil to compensate for it?

I'm 99% certain it was diesel freezing, at 11.30 when I was cranking, it was trying to fire, but no smoke ect, later with the battery recharged, it started as normal

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 22:08   #9
Ragamuffin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Nice one

When you say a cup full, I'm not a fan of mixing petrol and diesel, I heard about so-called mechanics at it to get cars to pass the diesel smoke test
So, would 1/2lt to a full tank be enough? Maybe add 1lt of engine oil to compensate for it?
Just a couple of coffee cups full to a car tank wont do any harm. I wouldn't put engine oil in though.
Ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragamuffin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 00:43   #10
Volvon
Master Member

The diesel doesn't freeze as such, it just becomes gel like, and 99% of the time this clogs the filter which prevents starting.

Get some Diesel anti-gelling agents from the motor factors and these should keep your tank, lines and filters from gelling up (alternatively put petrol in)

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post: