Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 in OZ

Views : 764

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 08:42   #1
33CHINACARS

Default XC60 in OZ

My wife in looking at buying an XC60 MY12 - MY15 in Australia

Can someone tell me the difference in ride height / ground clearance between a STD XC60 & an R Design.

Also how much head room is lost with a sunroof. If any

Our nearest dealer is some 320 km / 200 miles away so would like to know these answers before committing to a big day out to look at cars

Regards Gary
33CHINACARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 09:09   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

AFAIK the ride height is the same on all models (assuming you are using standard wheels and tyres).

The sunroof actually gives slightly more headroom than less because you don't have the roof lining where the sunroof is

I can imagine the XC60 being in its element riding about in the open spaces you have in Australia.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 13:41   #3
33CHINACARS

Thanks Mate .

But Quote from MY16 brochure. " Our R-Design Sport chassis has been lowered & stiffened for even better cornering ........ ". Not sure if this is so for earlier models and doesn't say by how much it is lowered.

Took a MY11 D5 R- Design for a test drive around a regional city. All sorts of roads . Highway at 140 km/h + ( speed limit 110 km/h ). Classed as a hoon if caught doing more than 130 km/h ( loss of licence for 6 months + & car impounded ). Corrugated roads / dirt roads / even wash aways. Handled them all brilliantly.

Only reason we are looking at a MY12 or newer is the far better economy.

The Volvo XC60 will compliment my Range Rover L322 TD6 MY05 and my work ute a Mazda BT50 GT MY12.

Gary
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 14:32   #4
civilservant

G'day

I had an R-Design V70 previously - the suspension was lowered I believe by 15mm compared against the standard models. For the new XC60 R-Design, I would imagine it's pretty much the same although I cannot say this with any certainty. The difference should not be any noticeable difference except perhaps to firm the suspension slightly.

I hope this allays any fears you have.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 21:19   #5
33CHINACARS

No fears. Just interested.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 21:41   #6
inego

I'm in Sydney and have a MY14 R-design on 20" wheels. According to all the specifications it has the same 230mm ground clearance as the Luxury, although it is noticeably stiffer. Clearance has been fine for me, even on quite rough gravel tracks with large hillside drainage channels across them. I haven't tried true off-road.

Last edited by inego; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 21:44.
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 23:47   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33CHINACARS View Post
My wife in looking at buying an XC60 MY12 - MY15 in Australia

Can someone tell me the difference in ride height / ground clearance between a STD XC60 & an R Design.

Also how much head room is lost with a sunroof. If any

Our nearest dealer is some 320 km / 200 miles away so would like to know these answers before committing to a big day out to look at cars

Regards Gary
No difference in ride height just stiffer springs. If you get one with a 4C chassis you can have 3 different settings for the suspension at the press of a button. My wife doesn't like the comparable R-Design setting as she is too well built and complains if the road gets at all bumpy on that setting so I normally use Comfort when she is in the car and Sport when I'm on my own, or Comfort if the road is very rough.

Quote:
As before, the S60 and V60 R-Design models feature a Sport chassis, with a ride height lowered by 15mm and with springs stiffened by 15 per cent. Meanwhile, the XC60 gets firmer springs and retuned anti-roll bars, but no change in ride height.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 00:16   #8
33CHINACARS

Thanks for all your replies.

I take it from what " inego" says that there is no difference in ride height. Maybe something new for the MY16 model according to the brochure. Sounds good though.

Thanks " Roy ". have seen no reference to adjustable chassis settings. We might only get the poverty pack here in Oz. Not a problem though.

This will be our first Volvo

Last edited by 33CHINACARS; Feb 4th, 2016 at 00:19.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 00:36   #9
inego

Quote:

I take it from what " inego" says that there is no difference in ride height. Maybe something new for the MY16 model according to the brochure. Sounds good though.

Thanks " Roy ". have seen no reference to adjustable chassis settings. We might only get the poverty pack here in Oz. Not a problem though.

4C is an extra cost option in most markets, including Oz (I think).

I haven't checked the MY16, but certainly M14 and earlier had no difference in ride height, rather stiffer springs/roll bars. The sports seats also feel a little lower than the standard pews.

230mm is considerable ground clearance for an SUV, with most between 180mm and 200mm. Even if they are now dropping the R-design a little (unlikely to be more than 10mm a corner), clearance is still excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to inego For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 00:42   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:

You can ask the dealer to search for cars with the 4C chassis if the Volvo dealer network is like the UK. I chose to have the 4C chassis and use 17" wheels and think it's brilliant on poor surfaces.

One thing I forgot to say is all the R-Design's have Sport front seats and I think they are really comfortable. However all models with inscription leather have the Sport seats. Models without inscription leather have the standard front seats.

Volvo doesn't change the ride height for any XC class vehicle as it defeats the objectives of the car. Only the estates and saloons. Ride height is even higher on the XC60 than a Range Rover on the standard setting. The Range has more wheel articulation of course.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 4th, 2016 at 00:48.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote