Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boost+ Unit- Any information & boost control units

Views : 1308

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2021, 20:52   #11
ukvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
It's a bit like the Saab APC but apparently a very temperamental system.

It gives 0.9 bar or 13 psi over 4000 rpm. It does make use of the stock knock sensor and reduces the boost if it detects pinging.

It's probably possible to hack it and replace resistors to change the boost pressure, when it kicks in, and the knock sensitivity like the APC etc. but don't think anyone has done that.

The GFB boost controller probably can interface with a wideband sensor because it ain't going to do anything with the stock narrowband sensor.

No way will you get near 190bhp without increased boost. 3" exhaust probably yields a tiny bit, stock gutted airbox is fine, and wasted spark doesn't really do anything
Maybe some online fans are a little optimistic haha I am not chasing power either way. Ill get the car running as best as it possibly can and thats that Too many miles for messing around lots

Mick
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 12:50   #12
TonyS9
Premier Member

An MBC or bleed valve works perfectly well with a fixed boost at around 12psi, just don't do top speed tests, and best to use with high octane, otherwise the knock sensor seems to make a big flat spot. This is if you have an FT, if you have a FK you need to upgrade the wastegate actuator. You can buy an adjustable actuator for about £70 (with various springs).

The purpose of controller is to wind it back when the temperature in the manifold gets high. In my case I cracked the Turbo casing at 140mph, leading to a large water cloud in my mirror. However the old red block soldiered on with slight water leakage and a whiney turbo, eventually the HG secuming to my lack of a proper repair a year later. This was over 10 yrs ago, the car is fine although I do get some vibration from the drive if the car is heavily loaded up at WOT, or if I use overboost.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 14:00   #13
jasons

I've seen a guy who ran a tuning co and bought a 940lpt fit a bleed valve/variable boost controller, I was there when he did this and he said often the lpt does more bhp than stated and hpt sometimes less, the car did produce good bhp stock, the bleed valve fitted in minutes and he did numerous runs on the dyno monitoring afr as he tweaked the valve, I can't remember the final number but it was probably around 155ish hp with safe afr ratios.

I'm guessing its the AFR that's the problem when winding up the boost.

On a modern ECU one would map the fuel and boost tables to correct, am I right in thinking its not so easy on this ecu?

What would stop a person from fitting a piggy back injector module to provide extra fuel to match the extra boost, thus maintaining safe AFR?
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 15:52   #14
ukvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
I've seen a guy who ran a tuning co and bought a 940lpt fit a bleed valve/variable boost controller, I was there when he did this and he said often the lpt does more bhp than stated and hpt sometimes less, the car did produce good bhp stock, the bleed valve fitted in minutes and he did numerous runs on the dyno monitoring afr as he tweaked the valve, I can't remember the final number but it was probably around 155ish hp with safe afr ratios.

On a modern ECU one would map the fuel and boost tables to correct, am I right in thinking its not so easy on this ecu?

What would stop a person from fitting a piggy back injector module to provide extra fuel to match the extra boost, thus maintaining safe AFR?
The reality is alot of aftermarket equipment is fitted because its supposed to be better than oe. If its monitoring afr for example, a fancy hks unit etc should check readings way more frequently and adjust levels more frequently thus protecting the engine more and allowing you to be even more silly with boost levels if you wish.

The ecu's we are working around here on older cars are not necessarily that fast to update things etc or as advanced. They are still pretty good though compared to some earlier systems

Last edited by ukvolvo; Nov 1st, 2021 at 16:03.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 16:12   #15
ukvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
In my case I cracked the Turbo casing at 140mph, .
You saying a volvo 940 can reach 140mph, this is news to me lol

I thought you would have to shoot one out a railgun to do that haha

Last edited by ukvolvo; Nov 1st, 2021 at 16:19.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 17:48   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
You saying a volvo 940 can reach 140mph, this is news to me lol

I thought you would have to shoot one out a railgun to do that haha
It's a B230FT in a 360 Although a tuned 940 will make 140. It's only 13mph more than standard
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 12:47   #17
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
It's a B230FT in a 360 Although a tuned 940 will make 140. It's only 13mph more than standard
It was the 940 that cracked the turbo. The 360 did do a few years of track days before covid, but top speed on the track was only about 120. It has been higher than 140, the lower weight and size means it gets there much quicker. No turbo problems though, and running low conductivity waterless coolant to avoid bursting the old lower pressure cooling system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 12:55   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post

The LPT and HPT are the same bar the wastegate pressure setting, my 95+97 B230FTs are both rated at 165hp stock at 7.5psi. The turbo+ is about 195hp with the overboost around 10psi. All should crack reliable 200bhp with around 12psi.
It doesn't need mapped the MAF is already mapped up to about 13PSI (for the turbo plus model using the same SCU), beyond which its getting a bit lean and hot. If you go to 15 PSI at around 3000rpm the ECU cuts the engine on a preservation basis, assuming there is a fault.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 00:08   #19
deeman940
Master Member

Not worth bothering with the Turbo + stuff. just get a bleed valve and gauge and turn it up to 12psi....should give you a steady 265 bhp ish on standard LPT.....
if you want any more than that look into further mods. AS with any car start with breathing i.e induction/ exhaust/ turbo mods etc
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 02:16   #20
baggy798
🤍💙💗

How are you getting 200bhp with 12psi when Volvo themselves got 190bhp with 13psi?

There's a guy on turbobricks who sells chips that enable you to make 184whp at 14psi, which is about 205bhp. Bone stock stage 0.