Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Easily buffed wax/polish?

Views : 1499

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:15   #1
Southside Volvo

Default Easily buffed wax/polish?

Looking for bit of advice from all you Volvo detailers...

Have always enjoyed carefully waxing/polishing my cars but find it increasingly difficult due to (prematurely) arthritic fingers, especially when the applied wax or polish requires concentrated buffing to remove.
Unfortunately, mains-powered polishers aren't an option so -

1. Recommendations for easily buffed wax/polish?
2. Anyone use an effective battery-powered polisher?

Cheers,
Bob.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:24   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Hi Bob, Angelwax in Renfrew do an easy on/off wax. Big mistake some people make is to put on too much which makes it more difficult to remove. If all you're wanting is to apply and remove wax then one of the Halfords machines would do, in fact, let me have a look in my shed tomorrow. I might have one there you would be welcome to. If you want to try some of the Angelwax wax I could get some to you, where in the southside are you?
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:25   #3
slipkid
T5 GRRRR

Autoglym super resin polish and extra gloss protection are very easy to use. The later you apply on a cloth with only the weight of the cloth to put it on. It dries to a powder and could be rubbed off with a dogs wagging tail it's that easy.
I bought an halfords machine polisher, used it once and never bothered again, useless.
Can't talk for other brands as never used them and everyone has their own preference. Hope you find something.
slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slipkid For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:47   #4
griston64
Premier Member

I would agree with the previous post about Autoglym . I've been using Autoglym super resin for ages. Very easy on and off. The polishing cloths also made by Autoglym are very good.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:47   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I am going to go with the problem is that polishing is naturally abrasive. So requires more effort...I would go with something like Menzerna 85RD/85RE by hand (battery operated polishers are not strong enough).

As for protection avoid waxes I would go with sealants that you can spray and wipe off to provide protection Optimum Opti Seal is spray on and wipe off without waiting be round a car twice in ten minutes. Very little is needed to and very quick.

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....NZ-PO85RE5-250

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....OPT-OPTISEAL-8

I would avoid waxes as you have to wait and can leave to much on making more effort for yourself this is the beauty of it 1 spray does one panel (my bottle lasted 2 years in use reg.), plus you can get round fast with this, although I would say after polishing do an IPA wipedown to get the best of Optiseal on clean paint - IPA will remove any filler products from polishing like Super Resin Polish though.

If you still wanted to use wax then you can but get your layers thin will save time for curing and buffing and yes there is a rather frustrating wax to use on this ready for buffing amazingly...years of practice. Applying it heavily just wastes product, time and effort.

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 12th, 2013 at 21:56.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:49   #6
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Autoglym super resin polish and extra gloss protection are very easy to use. The later you apply on a cloth with only the weight of the cloth to put it on. It dries to a powder and could be rubbed off with a dogs wagging tail it's that easy.
I bought an halfords machine polisher, used it once and never bothered again, useless.
Can't talk for other brands as never used them and everyone has their own preference. Hope you find something.
The problem with EGP though if left ever so slightly used to long then it is pretty bad to remove.

Halfords polishers are a waste of time without proper tools in use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:49   #7
Southside Volvo

Funnily enough, always used to use Autoglym- good stuff but only ever tried the super resin polish and not the extra gloss protection...
Cheers!
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 21:57   #8
Southside Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo View Post
Hi Bob, Angelwax in Renfrew do an easy on/off wax. Big mistake some people make is to put on too much which makes it more difficult to remove. If all you're wanting is to apply and remove wax then one of the Halfords machines would do, in fact, let me have a look in my shed tomorrow. I might have one there you would be welcome to. If you want to try some of the Angelwax wax I could get some to you, where in the southside are you?
Many thanks for the Angelwax tip - am in Mount Florida and work in Paisley so would be easy enough to pop into Renfrew. Where are Angelwax based?
Thanks also for offer of trying out polisher - feel free to send me a PM if you are able to track it down.

I miss spending an hour or so of polishing the car - always good for the head and I suspect the soul
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 22:00   #9
Ninja59

Units F, G & H
Meadowside Street
Renfrew
Scotland
PA4 8SR

Angelwax or under another name might make many products for the detailing industry in bespoke form...are well worth a look on a cost point I cannot say to much more than that..
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 22:06   #10
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

I work in Paisley also if you want some wax to try out. I'm in Dykebar Hospital if that's any where near you.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote