Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Digital Jukebox - worth getting?

Views : 1543

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 19:03   #1
volvo2
Master Member

Default Digital Jukebox - worth getting?

Does anyone have experience of the Digital Jukebox?

http://www.volvocars.com/DigitalJuke...t_information/

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 21:57   #2
zygote

Default RE: Digital Jukebox - worth getting?

No first hand experience but I've been following threads over at swedespeed and vvspy and most people are quite impressed. This thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=42448 has a short movie of the bloke using it so you can see what it's like.

I'm sorely tempted but the all in price in the UK is about £600!!
zygote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 22:07   #3
volvo2
Master Member

Thanks!

The price is high but then Volvo also want a similar amount for a CD changer.

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 16:08   #4
zygote

Got some solid pricing from the dealership, finally spoke to someone who knew what I was talking about. Cost, not including fitting is £497.03 including VAT.

This breaks down as follows:

Part No Item Cost
V30732060 Digital Jukebox £340.00
V30732061 Installation Kit, 2005 S60 £ 39.00
V30664142 Cable for cars with RTI £ 44.00
VAT £ 74.03

Since I learned that you can replace the annoying American accent with a British one, it's on order... :)
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:58   #5
Networkguy

Please let us know how easy it is to fit?

I am so close to buying one of these (once I find a dealer who has heard of the thing) and may even consider fitting myself if it is not too hard.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:07   #6
volvo2
Master Member

I am getting it also and would be interested to know how you get on. I understand that the most difficult part is running the wire, although if you have RTI then I guess things may be different(?)

Melvyn
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 22:15   #7
zygote

OK, fitted, loaded up with MP3s and been using it for a few days now.

First off, dealer (in)competence: I ordered all the parts last Monday morning and it was in stock by Tuesday morning!! Picked it up on Wednesday and decided to look at fitting it that evening. I noticed that the dealer had given me the wrong mounting kit (gave me the one for the V70) so called them on Thursday morning and they insisted that the S60/V70 have the same mounting kit, until I pointed out that the part number was different. Picked up the correct kit on Thursday afternoon and attempted fitting that evening. Then I discovered that they had given me the wrong flippin' cable so swapped for the correct cable on Friday!! To be fair, the parts guy had wrongly quoted me for the non-RTI cable and the RTI cable is an extra £14, but they didn't charge me. So for all the points they scored for the quick delivery, they lost the lot in subsequent visits to get the order right! Still don't get how the guy could've got my order off the shelf without checking part numbers.

Fitting: The supplied instructions are rubbish, and you need a blind-rivet tool which isn't mentioned in the instructions. I can only speak for fitting to a car with RTI/TV although I did pull out the head unit trying to figure out how the (wrong) cable fitted in to the equation, and that was pretty easy.

You have to remove; The boot lining, back seat squab, bolsters on each side of the rear seat backs, plastic panels on C-pillar, parcel shelf. Pretty much everything just pulls off, there are very few screws/bolts holding the interior together. Then you drill 4 holes in the metal part of the parcel shelf (yes... I know, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. The metal's pretty thin). You rivet the jukebox to the mounting kit, attach the cables to the back of the jukebox and bolt the whole thing to the parcel shelf. Then it's just a case of connecting the cable from the jukebox to the spare DIN on the TV tuner (or the back of the Nav unit).

And that's pretty much it! If I did it again it would probably take about 20mins. First time round took about 2 hours.

Usage: This thing is brilliant. I have about 1300 songs over 109 albums on it just now, and it's not even half full. It's great to not have to carry a CD wallet in the car especially as if you are like me then you end up listening to the same 10 cds for months. Sound quality is great and it's easy to find stuff to listen to. The random function is great as well, I've heard songs in the past 2 days that I haven't listened to in years. Voice prompting is a bit cheesy, and some of the pronounciation doesn't make sense, but overall a great piece of kit.

HTH
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:46   #8
volvo2
Master Member

Thanks, sounds reasonably straightforward to fit and I am glad to hear you are happy with it. I don't have RTI/TV so I guess I'll have more wiring to install. Should be collecting from Volvo on Saturday. I hope they give me all the correct parts as it is an 80 mile round trip. As a matter if interest, how many wires are connected to the jukebox - does it need a seperate power supply?

Melvyn
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:49   #9
zygote

Yeah, it is easy to fit, even on non-RTI cars. A few trim panels come out and the cable runs from the head unit under the passenger front and rear footwells and into the boot. There are 2 connectors on the jukebox, one for data and one for power. The data one connects to the head unit and on non-RTI cars you add 2 wires into the main plug in the fusebox in the right hand boot compartment. (standing behind the car). The instructions detail how to do this. Looks pretty straight forward.

Print out a copy of this page http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/a...VCC-251634.htm and take it with you so you can check the part numbers. 80 miles is a heck of a way to go to change a cable!!

Good luck with the install.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 19:52   #10
volvo2
Master Member

Installed it at the weekend. It is very good. No more carry loads of taps around and fumbling with them in the car! Do you know what frame 31 is about in the Installation Instructions? This 'insulation panel' was missing from my kit and does not seem necessary. Why do they want us to remove the existing insulation panel?
I have not really learnt how to use it yet however the software seems to show space for only about 140 CDs and not 400!
M