Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking D5

Views : 7288

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2010, 18:44   #1
spee

Default Knocking D5

My D5 (115k) engine is knocking on acceleration.

At first I thought it was the leaking injectors I've recently had replaced, but these have been sorted and leak checked, it's not them.

So, it's as normal under normal / part throttle, but push a little harder in gear and it knocks/taps (and it's loud). It sounds alarmingly similar to when the bottom end shells went on a previous car of mine (not a volvo).

Obviously I'm hoping it's not the bottom end bearings/shells. I can't believe for a minute it is, I've trawled this site and many others and not found a single bottom end failure on the D5, but it could be a first I guess.

Any suggestions of what to check or any other problem that would cause a loud tap, rising with revs under load will be great!

Oh, the oil level is fine.

Edit - As a side note, it's running well! Tickover is ok at a solid 700 RPM and pickup (other than the knocking) is good.
If this was a petrol engine, I'd think pinking/knocking, I'm not sure if diesels suffer from this?

Gareth

Last edited by spee; Sep 28th, 2010 at 18:53.
spee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 19:05   #2
carl4u44
Master Member

Did this noise come about after the injectors were replaced? Are they the same class? Were they recon'ed?
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 19:06   #3
spee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl4u44 View Post
Did this noise come about after the injectors were replaced? Are they the same class? Were they recon'ed?
After injector replacement. They were rebuilt/recon.

G
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 19:23   #4
carl4u44
Master Member

Im not too sure if this stands correct but classes 1 and 3 cannot be rebuild or recon apparently they are never the same after. I cant say for sure and maybe some else can clarify.

I too have a mild knocking on idle which seemed to have appeared after the second injector was recon'ed but mine was a class 2.

Your symptom could be a sign of injector knock which is common across all common rails I believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 19:38   #5
spee

Quote:
Im not too sure if this stands correct but classes 1 and 3 cannot be rebuild or recon apparently they are never the same after. I cant say for sure and maybe some else can clarify.

I too have a mild knocking on idle which seemed to have appeared after the second injector was recon'ed but mine was a class 2.

Your symptom could be a sign of injector knock which is common across all common rails I believe.
I've been reading up on diesel injector knocking since posting this oddly enough, sounds like my problem to be honest, all the symptoms seem to match.

I'll read up more, thanks for the advice.

G

Last edited by spee; Sep 28th, 2010 at 19:43.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 16:33   #6
carl4u44
Master Member

Just a little note to add:

From a previous leak off test I was told that my injectors 1 and 3 needed replacing. So I used my brand new injector and replaced number 1.

Now I have noticed and others may wish to test this too that upon putting a long screwdriver to the top of each injector and listening with my ear each 'note' from the injectors.

The previous numbers 1 and 3 had a 'high dong' sound to them and these were said to be bad.

Injectors 2, 4 and 6 have a nice 'suttle low soft tick' noise.

To confirm my brand new (class 2) injector seated in number 1 also has this nice suttle tick instead of the 'high pitched dong' noise which sounds a bit like throwing a full apple into a metal bin.

Perhaps others could test this little theory.

My thumping noise too has quietened down a little too I think but im all ears on it for now!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 18:01   #7
spee

Quote:
Just a little note to add:

From a previous leak off test I was told that my injectors 1 and 3 needed replacing. So I used my brand new injector and replaced number 1.

Now I have noticed and others may wish to test this too that upon putting a long screwdriver to the top of each injector and listening with my ear each 'note' from the injectors.

The previous numbers 1 and 3 had a 'high dong' sound to them and these were said to be bad.

Injectors 2, 4 and 6 have a nice 'suttle low soft tick' noise.

To confirm my brand new (class 2) injector seated in number 1 also has this nice suttle tick instead of the 'high pitched dong' noise which sounds a bit like throwing a full apple into a metal bin.

Perhaps others could test this little theory.

My thumping noise too has quietened down a little too I think but im all ears on it for now!
Well, mines been back, both injectors re-seated, still clacking.

So, back it went again, both injectors looked at, re-fitted, still clacking. I'm losing patience!

G
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 17:01   #8
spee

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spee View Post
Well, mines been back, both injectors re-seated, still clacking.

So, back it went again, both injectors looked at, re-fitted, still clacking. I'm losing patience!

G

It's still clacking so will be back in the garage tomorrow! My patience is shot now! It had better be sorted this visit!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:35   #9
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spee View Post
It's still clacking so will be back in the garage tomorrow! My patience is shot now! It had better be sorted this visit!
Did they fix it.?
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:19   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

reconditioned injectors on a D% are a waste of money they have been proved time and time again to give this problem , the flow rates have to be accuratly matched to each other so ALL 5 are exactly the same , once they dismantle an injector this fine calibration is lost . Buying a new injector and pipe from the dealer matched to your calibration number is the only way ...