Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Orange flashing arrow - T5R auto - Help

Views : 1743

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2021, 10:56   #1
Pupbelly

Question Orange flashing arrow - T5R auto - Help

So, the recent purchase has now thrown a curve ball this morning, a flashing orange arrow on the dash! Seems to drive ok and the car restarts ok but something is not right obviously!

I did notice this morning the tickover was around 1050rpm whilst in traffic which is slightly higher than normal, but then I was tinkering last night and did the following:
  • Replaced a vacuum hose from the wastegate to the turbo control valve (I still think its lacking boost so was doing a quick "fix", nothing has altered though)
  • Cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner, didn't touch it, just gave it a spray (it looks pretty clean but thought I'd do it.
  • Checked various vacuum lines and poked about but not disturbed anything.
  • There was a slight clattering on the drivers side when going over small pot holes etc. which seems to stop if you go over a bump when braking so I'm assuming something is loose around there but not investigated yet. Could there be a loose ABS ring? Would that cause an orange arrow?

This is a pure guestimate here as the flashing arrow seemed to appear coming into work on what is an awful bit of road with multiple repairs and dips, I can't recall hearing the clatter hence the ABS ring question.

I've not done the shifting of the gear stick up and down 20 times thing to see if its the Park switch but if it was I would have assumed the car would refuse to start?

Not what I need right now with my new purchase! Any thoughts please?
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 11:39   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Only use a cleaner that is specified for MAF cleaner. It's fragile and fussy as to what comes into contact with. Leave for 30 minutes after cleaner to make sure that all of the cleaner has evaporated.
I think that the only arrow on my 2000 V70 shows when I'm in 4th (possibly 3rd on a 4 speed auto) rather than drive. Mine doesn't flash but earlier models or maybe 4 speed autos do?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 11:48   #3
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Solid arrow appears when you select winter mode or the lower gear modes on the selector.

Flashing arrow means there is a fault code. Read the codes and go from there.

If you fire it up and the flashing arrow appears after going 20mph then it will probably be one of the speed sensors.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 12:14   #4
Pupbelly

I'll see if it appears after 20mph and go from there, hopefully its not a gearbox issue! Would low fluid make the orange arrow light come on? (not checked it yet as it only happened on the way to work)
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 12:17   #5
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Only use a cleaner that is specified for MAF cleaner. It's fragile and fussy as to what comes into contact with. Leave for 30 minutes after cleaner to make sure that all of the cleaner has evaporated.
I think that the only arrow on my 2000 V70 shows when I'm in 4th (possibly 3rd on a 4 speed auto) rather than drive. Mine doesn't flash but earlier models or maybe 4 speed autos do?
Yes it's proper stuff and it was left to dry for a good long time, but the slightly higher idle makes me wonder if its MAF related. Maybe disconnect the battery for a bit and see if that resets anything?

The flashing orange arrow suggests a problem rather than in a certain mode. It does light up (not flashing) when in 3 or L if I recall, possible Winter mode too, but not flashing.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 16:34   #6
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

You've got an Autobox fault.It's internal more than likely and will be expensive.
DONT waste any of your time on the FORUM phenomenom of PNP switch.
It does FCUK all except a starter motor inhibitor switch and controls the reversing lights..But hey ho all box faults are this on here.

My money's on valve body or shift solenoid.

Read the codes it wont be a cheap fix Auto's never ever are.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 17:43   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
You've got an Autobox fault.It's internal more than likely and will be expensive.
DONT waste any of your time on the FORUM phenomenom of PNP switch.
It does FCUK all except a starter motor inhibitor switch and controls the reversing lights..But hey ho all box faults are this on here.

My money's on valve body or shift solenoid.

Read the codes it wont be a cheap fix Auto's never ever are.
The PNP switch tells the auto-box ECU what gear you've selected - it's much more than a start inhibitor and reverse light switch!

Worth checking the ATF level and condition, if it's not nice, clean and red, worth doing an ATF part-change and resetting the codes/ECU and seeing what you've got before panicking.

You have to start the diagnosis somewhere and that's the most cost-effective way of doing it and may cure the problem. If the ATF is dirty/burned, repeat the part-change again in about a month then another month after and see what it's like, possibly another part-change then.

Don't do a flushing change especially if the fluid is brown/burned as the seals will likely be brittle/dry and the sudden influx of all new fluid in one go won't give them a chance to recover before the pressure builds. Better to introduce it slowly via part-changes and part-changes tend to be more economical on fluid as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 19:57   #8
Pupbelly

Thumbs up Sorted!

Codes read - P0120 Throttle Position Sensor.

Cleared the code and the orange arrow light went out. Admittedly not been out for a drive yet but clearing that code seems to have cleared the arrow light.

I’ve checked the wiring and had a look in the throttle body and nothing to report so we’ll see if it returns in the morning!

I’m wondering if something was disturbed when the PCV was done last week maybe. But for now, it’s fixed!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:39   #9
Pupbelly

Question

This morning the car started ok, but initially had a bit of a wobbly tickover. Set off ok and made it to work with no dramas....until popping into reverse and the bloody arrow came back flashing FFS!

Scanned the code and P0120 is back. Cleared it and light goes out.

Is it a case of just replacing this part or is it cleanable does anyone know?

Wonder if this is why the car feels flat i.e. the car is not registering throttle inputs correctly?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:35   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
This morning the car started ok, but initially had a bit of a wobbly tickover. Set off ok and made it to work with no dramas....until popping into reverse and the bloody arrow came back flashing FFS!

Scanned the code and P0120 is back. Cleared it and light goes out.

Is it a case of just replacing this part or is it cleanable does anyone know?

Wonder if this is why the car feels flat i.e. the car is not registering throttle inputs correctly?
If the hesitant running is predominantly on a light throttle, that usually points towards the TPS - not having the exact details of your car i had to make a guess so double-check this is the right one :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303887175352

Fairly straightforward to fit, unplug, undo the screws and remove then to fit the new one, "Haynes it" - in other words refitting is the reversal of removal. Clear the ECU memory after to clear any fault codes and/or fuel trims it has memorised from the old (potentially) faulty TPS. You could also read the Bosch part number on the side of the current TPS, likely it starts 0 280 xyz abc where xyz and abc arethe digits that denote the exact part number, the 0 280 denotes fuel group.

Then type the Bosch part number into the ebay search bar and see what you find.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: