Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIM or CEM fault?

Views : 1196

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:57   #1
tnewey

Default DIM or CEM fault?

Hi,

I have some electrical gremlins with my 2000 (new shape) v70 - I am hoping that someone may be able to help track down whether it is the DIM or CEM I need to take out and fix!

Symptoms are:

-Start engine and instrument panel illumination stays off for several seconds before coming on (warning lights work as normal)

-Radio / CD player works but no display or backlights to controls

-Controls for climate control switches very dim

-No backlights on auto gear selector

-Instrument panel clock, odometer and message display very dim, but appears to work OK

-Headlight switch does nothing and appears to have no power - the daylight running lights are always on whether you select sidelights or night running and the main beam wont stay on in any setting.

The car runs and drives fine otherwise with no messages or warning lights.

From my search of the forum I suspect the DIM or CEM, but before I tear the car apart, which should I target first!?

Regards,

Tris.
tnewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:41   #2
RAN60
Master Member

Sounds more like CEM than DIM. The DIM doesnt control any of the steering wheel controls or the light module. I could be wrong but id be looking more towards the CEM???

Have you checked for water ingress? might just have been on older models.

Idealy you need to have the error codes read.

Rich
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 20:29   #3
spokoluzik
Trader

I would simply start from light switch.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 09:15   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

As spokoluzik says, all symptoms point to the lighting switch module.

The DIM encodes the signals from the light switch module but it does sound like the module itself my be the source of the problem.

Does the headlight levelling control work?

If you can get a cheap replacement from a scrappy it would be an easy way to test if it is the light switch module. Just make sure its off a donor with similar age/model year.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 09:22   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

yes get a used light switch , they are not software coded .
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 17:49   #6
tnewey

Thanks for those suggestions. Would a duff lightswitch affect the radio switches and heater control lighting on the cetntre console too through?

Headlight levelling doesn't appear to work and no fog light either - it appears there is no power to the unit at all.

Cheers,

Tris.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 18:08   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewey View Post
Thanks for those suggestions. Would a duff lightswitch affect the radio switches and heater control lighting on the cetntre console too through?

Headlight levelling doesn't appear to work and no fog light either - it appears there is no power to the unit at all.

Cheers,

Tris.
yes all the lighting is controled by the light switch module .
Old May 14th, 2012, 21:41   #8
tnewey

Problem fixed - it was the light switch. I found evidence of what looked like burning around the sliders for the headlight level and instrument illumination level controls. Alarmingly, the replacement second hand part (£10 from e-bay) looks in worse condition - with white deposits on the circuit board looking like its had water on it at some point. However, it works OK, so fingers crossed it will last a while yet!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 16:40   #9
itllbemethen

The "light swith module" ...as in "the switch" itself ?

I have the "same ish" problems.

On starting the dash is working, but not lit. The light then comes on (but dim).

The dashboard controls all function correctly (revs, speedo, temp, fuel etc, etc and data board)

I have no "main beam" (with the switch in the correct position) the main beam comes on, however when the stalk is released, the main beam falls back to dipped.

I have no front fogs.

Oddly (hence why would it be the light switch) the centre radio/cd console is not lit, but does work. (No idea what track on the cd was good !).

Having had the ETM fail (replacement from Canada) I was expecting some "massive, key, oh so expensive module" to be causing this fault...(CEM or DIM) but are you saying it's the "light switch" that is at fault ???
itllbemethen is offline   Reply With Quote