Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 or T2

Views : 2036

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2015, 06:52   #1
lancslad1985

Default D2 or T2

Hi Everyone,

I found the old 1.6 very underpowered and my friend (who's a volvo nut) told me to avoid the old D2 as it's the french engine notorious for breaking. Has anyone got feedback on the new D2 engine? Now it's a 2.0L is it a little more powerful?

My other question is about the T2. What sort of economy are people getting with it? I chose to get a Polo BlueGT instead of the D2 this last time and, although fun, it's too small and I'm getting fed up of taking it in with technical issues. I'm definitely settled on a volvo this next time but can't find much information regarding the two engines.

Thanks.
lancslad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 09:34   #2
Marc01

I have the 4cylinder VEA D4, although during test drives I found the D2 1.6 more than adequate in the V40, I always considered the D2 a proven workhorse sure it's based around a French engine but modified to Volvo specs.
If you want a proven engine with a good track record go for the D2 1.6, the 2.0 D2 is still new and my D4 which I believe it's based around has not been without its teething problems although in my opinion a fantastic engine, brisk performance and good economy.

As for the T2 last time I checked there was very little pricing difference between a T2 and a D2, in some brands the difference between specifying a Diesel and a Petrol can be significant so that it would take a long time to actually make running a diesel pay for itself, a D2 purchased along with the fixed price services plan if still available? Would be a cheaper car to run.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 11:44   #3
chiptivo
Premier Member

The old D2 is a great little engine. Used in many different cars and pretty proven with no issues.
Great economy, no DPF issues and zero tax.

It's not underpowered for a 1.6
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 20:29   #4
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post

Great economy, no DPF issues and zero tax.
I have just paid £30 tax. I think it was only free for the first year!
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 20:40   #5
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
I have just paid £30 tax. I think it was only free for the first year!
The D3 was free for the first year then 30 pound

The my2015 d2 is free for the first year and subsequent.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 15:31   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Does depend on your mileage. If you do a lot go diesel, if less petrol.(T2/3) Road tax on the diesels is £0 whereas the petrol ones are £110

Expect no more than 40mpg with a petrol V40, although this applies to the Ford engined 1.6 fitted up to 2015. The newer petrol engines are the Volvo 2.0 VEA ones, (autos are 1.5 btw) about which I have no idea in petrol form. If going petrol do stretch to the T3, which will suit the car well performance wise and you will have (reasonable) economy. The T2 is just a bit dull to have much fun in, and cannot have Polestar like the T3 can (or at least the old one could)

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 15:57   #7
Marc01

Volvorocks the problem I see is the D2 and T3 can be found for the same money and the D2 will give good economy 50mpg should be easily achievable even 60+ with motorways chucked in coupled with free road tax, so even if your doing no more than 8-10k a year it makes an sensible economic prospect as far as new purchases goes.

When looking at Mazdas recently with my brother in law both the 3 and 6's the diesels were all around 2k more in this situation with lower miles a petrol is the only real sensible option.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 15:58   #8
chiptivo
Premier Member

From experience, diesels appear to last longer, and hold there value better.

As fuel rises and tax on CO2 rises, the T3 maybe less desirable for a second hand car.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 16:19   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Volvorocks the problem I see is the D2 and T3 can be found for the same money and the D2 will give good economy 50mpg should be easily achievable even 60+ with motorways chucked in coupled with free road tax, so even if your doing no more than 8-10k a year it makes an sensible economic prospect as far as new purchases goes.
Fair point.I went petrol, simply to avoid dpf issues, plus I got a fantastic deal. I have yet to see a secondhand one year old V40 for less than I paid new. The V40 as a car appears to hold its value whether petrol or diesel, but because we are 'educated' to buy diesel diesel and diesel, people go and buy diesel. A T3 V40 is a far nicer (imo) driving experience than the D2. More fun. I think people nowadays want more than just good economy.

Quote:
From experience, diesels appear to last longer, and hold there value better.
Not sure it is the case that diesels last longer nowadays. Ok diesels may hold their value better in larger cars, but with all the hooha surrounding diesels just now, this could well change - especially as petrols are becomming more efficient.

Quote:
As fuel rises and tax on CO2 rises, the T3 maybe less desirable for a second hand car.
That has been the thinking for a number of years, although the above applies. A petrol is around £2000 less than the equivalent diesel new just now, which offsets cost to run somewhat.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: