Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v40 mpg!

Views : 2088

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2015, 14:34   #1
sherbet11

Default v40 mpg!

Hi everyone
i'm confused about my mpg i'm getting from my d2 1.6d,what is the true reading,the average figure on the dash in front of me says 46 but the trip graph tells me 51?,also i expected to get a higher average,anyone else experiencing this?
sherbet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 15:31   #2
Brodick
Master Member

Did you reset both gauges last time you filled up???

Think D2 owners are mid 50 - 60mpg.

What mileage is on the car?
What sort of journeys do you do?
What is your driving style like?
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 17:26   #3
sherbet11

Hi Brodick,

Reset the graph one because it is a general trip guide for mpg but surely the other indication for mpg is an overall average therefore more likely to be a truer reading???,my car has done 13500 miles,admittedly i don't do a lot of motorway ,and my driving is very conservative(I bought this car to save money on the fuel therefore i'm trying to!)
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:48   #4
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbet11 View Post
Hi Brodick,

Reset the graph one because it is a general trip guide for mpg but surely the other indication for mpg is an overall average therefore more likely to be a truer reading???,my car has done 13500 miles,admittedly i don't do a lot of motorway ,and my driving is very conservative(I bought this car to save money on the fuel therefore i'm trying to!)
Try driving a little less conservative.
My V40 started off low, I bought mine as winter started so the cold months and break in period had an impact on the long term mpg, now the car has broken in a little (took about 5000miles and is still improving slowly) it is gradually improving on the long term consumption figure.

Having had the car from new the first few thousands I drove really careful wanting to not abuse my new car, but as I have gradually gotten used to it I find I drive more normally now and not in a manner I would consider effcient on fuel, although I find driving this way it goes against the grain and I actually achieve better mpg, basically if I drive gently ie low rpm high gear I am actually labouring the engine and using more fuel, by using a lower gear and higher rpm I am using less fuel.

So give it go, drive a bit harder and use a lower gear to cruise can't hurt for a tank or 2.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 18:57   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Hi everyone
i'm confused about my mpg i'm getting from my d2 1.6d,what is the true reading,the average figure on the dash in front of me says 46 but the trip graph tells me 51?,also i expected to get a higher average,anyone else experiencing this?
Quote:
Reset the graph one because it is a general trip guide for mpg but surely the other indication for mpg is an overall average therefore more likely to be a truer reading???,
The mpg readout on the speedo, is more likely to be reset by the driver and shows mpg between resets/fill ups. The graph, as far as I am aware, is overall mpg, which I have never reset (because I have never found out how or bothered!!) - and reads lower than the dash mpg readout, as it is mpg from 0 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Having had the car from new the first few thousands I drove really careful wanting to not abuse my new car, but as I have gradually gotten used to it I find I drive more normally now and not in a manner I would consider effcient on fuel, although I find driving this way it goes against the grain and I actually achieve better mpg, basically if I drive gently ie low rpm high gear I am actually labouring the engine and using more fuel, by using a lower gear and higher rpm I am using less fuel.

So give it go, drive a bit harder and use a lower gear to cruise can't hurt for a tank or 2.
I have often said that - I get better mpg in a lower gear most of the times (ie 5th instead of 6th).

I disagree with your 'run in period'.I have always driven any new car hard from new (not flogged just hard), after reading how Lotus recommended 'running cars' in, and that gentle run in cars, where, in later life less powerful, less economical and more so susceptible to issues.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:41   #6
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post

I disagree with your 'run in period'.I have always driven any new car hard from new (not flogged just hard), after reading how Lotus recommended 'running cars' in, and that gentle run in cars, where, in later life less powerful, less economical and more so susceptible to issues.

Regards
Yes I am of the same belief that a hard run in does no harm and helps in later life, and once the engine was warm I would use the full rev range even from new, what I really meant is I was trying to be really careful getting used to the car by not curbing the alloys, smooth gear changes, avoiding potholes, he'll I would spend an age driving around car parks looking for the widest parking bay.
Once I had settled in and comfortable with the car and it got its first stone chip I now drive it less subconscious about causing it any harm if that makes sense.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 19:48   #7
sherbet11

Marc01 and volvorocks,thanks for your replys,sorry for taking so long to reply i had a family bereavment to deal with and been really busy at work,anyway,

Marc01 i've kinda misled you ,the car is two years old with 15000 miles on the clock but i will be taking your advice,i bought this car to save some money as my previous car was heavy on the petrol but i think i've taken it to the extreme by driving it with the only thing on my mind being to get the best out of the tank!!,because since i realised i wasnt getting what i hoped for(about 60mpg),i went back to my old style of driving and have noticed a small increase im my mpg,(now getting 47),so from now on will be having more fun with it,

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:31   #8
chiptivo
Premier Member

I get about 54mpg from my D2, a little disappointed, but still 10mpg more than my old S60 D5.
However my D5 was more economical on the motorway. The D2 does not like motorway cruising IMO.
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:36   #9
Considered1
Premier Member

Might sounds obvious but have you had the tracking/wheel alignment checked recently..so many potholes!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:43   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
The mpg readout on the speedo, is more likely to be reset by the driver and shows mpg between resets/fill ups. The graph, as far as I am aware, is overall mpg, which I have never reset (because I have never found out how or bothered!!) - and reads lower than the dash mpg readout, as it is mpg from 0 miles.

I have often said that - I get better mpg in a lower gear most of the times (ie 5th instead of 6th).

Regards
They run in racing engines with about 5 to 10 laps of moderate not quite flat out driving ..