Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40/V40 CC....Brake noise? Is this a Common fault?

Views : 4160

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2015, 12:27   #1
Dash1st

Default V40/V40 CC....Brake noise? Is this a Common fault?

Hi,

This is my first post on here & I was hoping that someone can offer some advice, so fingers crossed.

I got my V40 Cross Country D2 Lux back in December, but was told it's the 2015 model. This is my second Volvo, the first was an S40 R-Design several years ago, which I had no problems with, so I was surprised when I started having issues with the noise I'm getting from the brakes on this car.

The problem itself is a strange one, which I did go back & speak to my dealer about, even to the point that they took it in & had a look. The service department checked the brake system over, but all they said was that all looked ok, but they gave the brakes a clean & service, something I'd not expect so soon after getting the car.

However, as I said this is a strange problem & here is why.....the main problem with this noise is when I reverse & then I get a loud rubbing/squeaking noise, which also feels as if it's coming from the front brakes, it's so loud that it turns peoples heads. It also only seems to happen while there is a slight lock on the steering, mainly as I'm reversing on to my drive, so again making me think that it's more front end related.

As I said I have had it back in to the garage & I forgot to mention, that they actually said it was a "Common Fault on the V40 & was well know", though I've never heard of this issue & have searched & not found anything to confirm it.

So I was wondering does anyone know if this is a "Common fault" & if anyone on the forum has either heard of the problem or suffered the problem.

Any advice or help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 15:00   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash1st View Post
However, as I said this is a strange problem & here is why.....the main problem with this noise is when I reverse & then I get a loud rubbing/squeaking noise, which also feels as if it's coming from the front brakes, it's so loud that it turns peoples heads. It also only seems to happen while there is a slight lock on the steering, mainly as I'm reversing on to my drive, so again making me think that it's more front end related.
I can't help you as to what is happening here, although perhaps if you post in general technical section, someone with mechanical knowledge would assist better. Only screeches I have had on cars has been belt related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash1st View Post
As I said I have had it back in to the garage & I forgot to mention, that they actually said it was a "Common Fault on the V40 & was well know", though I've never heard of this issue & have searched & not found anything to confirm it.

So I was wondering does anyone know if this is a "Common fault" & if anyone on the forum has either heard of the problem or suffered the problem.
I have never come across anything that suggests this is a well known common problem with the V40, and have never experienced anything like it myself over 3000 miles. If the garage says it is a 'common well known fault' what exactly did they suggest it was and what was causing it?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 15:29   #3
GaryB1

my v40 cc is fine - I wouldn't be happy with what they are telling you. If it is MY2015 it is under warranty - insist they fix it.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 17:29   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I wonder if it is the disc brake covers on the rear of the discs the lock would imply to me they were to close to the disc and the lock is just enough to cause it.

Mine when it had the DMF done had to have it re-adjusted for that same reason...albeit it was a c30.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 18:34   #5
Dash1st

Thanks for all the replies,they are appreciated.

The dealer never said exactly why it is a well know problem/fault, they just said that all V40's standard or cross country suffer with noisy brakes, which I found very hard to believe. The only thing that the mechanic said was that the rear brakes seemed a bit dirty & that was why they gave them a clean/service.

As I've said I never really expected Volvo to release a car with a known problem, or at least not do something about trying to fix the problem. So I think my next step is get it back in to the dealer & see if I can get this problem solved.

It's just my luck to have a problem, even something so minor, as my previous car an Astra Elite had to go back in to the dealer after 3wks as we had fumes coming in to the car & it turned out to be a missing gasket causing a leak of exhaust gas in through the vents...thank goodness this ain't that bad.

Thanks again, I'll go book the car in again & let them know I've been trying to find out about this "Common fault" & I'll let you know the out come.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 19:19   #6
OldCroc

I have a 2014 model D2. I have the same issues with my brakes. The first is the scraping when you apply the brakes and this is most noted at low speeds. I am sure this is usual and just noticeable due to the poor soundproofing which also accounts for the road noise.
The second issue is exactly as you describe when reversing (intermittent) which I am certain comes from the rear. I felt that this may have something to do with the hill-start applying the rear brakes just slightly. It nearly always happens after a reasonably long trip and then, as you say, reversing into the drive. The whole car shudders.
Mine is going in for the 25000 mile service next week and I will be mentioning it. I thought it may have been through the rear pads becoming metalled with age but you say your car is new - so who knows???
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 19:38   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
I felt that this may have something to do with the hill-start applying the rear brakes just slightly.
Hill-start? Does it have this?

Regards
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 19:48   #8
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hill-start? Does it have this?

Regards
Yep - standard equipment, I think - and it works a treat with the Powershift.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 20:20   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

I dont notice anything like this. Take it is a feature of the autos not the manual?

Regards
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 20:24   #10
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I dont notice anything like this. Take it is a feature of the autos not the manual?

Regards
I live in Lincolnshire and so don't get to try it often!