Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problem - Glow Plugs???

Views : 19156

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 21:39   #1
TimV50

Default Starting Problem - Glow Plugs???

I recently bought a used V50 2.0 D 55 plate from a used independant Volvo dealer and having had it less than 4 weeks i already have issues with the engine starting from cold and wondered whether anyone might be able to give me some advice. The morning i bought the car i noted it took two attempts to start and the dealer explained the car had been using electric while not running as they had attached a tow bar and electrics. Having checked the battery i was told it was fine. Since then the problem has got worse. The car now needs 6 or 7 attempts to start the engine. Its fine when it is warm on the restart but i had an approved Volvo dealer run a diagnostic and they identified 100% resistence on No.3 glow plug and recommended that the others were worn and needed changing as well. I challenged the dealer i bought the car from and they questioned whether it could be a glow plug issue as they claim the engine does not use glow plugs to start above minus 10 degrees C. They also told me they had disconnected all the glow plugs on 3 of their engines (the same as mine) and they all started immediately. I went back to the approved dealer with this info and they told me their technician stood by his diagnosis and that the glow plugs could be the problem. I am not a mechanic and don't know who to believe. The dealer I bought it from has offered to pay 50 pounds to replace the faulty glow plug and if that doesn't resolve the problem they are not willing to pay for any further works. Alternatively they will look at it for me but they are 2 hours drive and i don't know if they can be trusted based on the diagnosis of the approved dealer. Not sure what is best as the warrenty i bought does not cover the glow plugs and if the problem is not that and i have the approved dealer fix it (he wants to charge 200 pounds) i may have to stump up more money to find the fault which again may not be covered under the warranty! Save for advising me it wasn't the best idea to buy a car from a dealer 2 hours away, i wonder if anyone has suffered a similar fault or they can clarify whether the glow plugs could be the problem. For clarity the car runs smooth after starting. The probelm is getting it going! Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.
TimV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 22:29   #2
Multiplex

If one of the glow plugs is showing high resistance or open circuit (very easy to check with a multimeter at the glow plug connector multiblock) then it is going to need at least one of the plugs replacing. The glow plugs are not that easy to access on the 2.0D (EGR valve & cooler needs to be removed). If one has failed then i personally would advise fitting 4.

If one of the glow plugs is faulty then the ECM will have a DTC relating to the glow plug relay/circuit fault.

Another thing to check on this engine is the intake throttle/shut off throttle for sticking in the closed position. This will starve the engine of air when attempting to restart.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 22:54   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Thought are someone is telling porkies!

The engine does use the glow plugs and far in excess of the -10 you've been quoted. The engine will use the glow plugs pretty much every start especially from cold.

Glow plug number 3 is definitely needing replaced and it is up to you if you let the dealer just change that one plug or not. They are not cheap (Volvo Ones) but are pretty good, however with the age of your car I'm guessing the ones in the engine at the moment is the original set and you might find there is not a lot of life left in the other plugs.

It is all down to money as ever, you could just get the one changed and leave it at that until you find another one gone or pay extra money and change the lot in one go.

with all glow plugs working as they should then starting should be a little better. Now onto you bad starting. If you use the pre glow (ignition on and wait until test lights go out , then ignition off and back on again) prior to starting the engine should fire up no probs. If you still get bad starting I'd suspect that your problem may due to air getting into the fuel system (fuel filter/housing). This can cause your exact problem.

Have a search for 'air in fuel line' or 'air bubbles in fuel' or something to this effect and see what you find. There has been a few threads specifically about bad starting and air in the fuel line. I believe there is a clear fuel line where you should be able to look and perhaps see if indeed your getting air in the system.

With a bit of luck one of the diesel owners might be along who can drop a link to the air bubbles thread or threads.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Jan 9th, 2012 at 22:57.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 00:05   #4
Bendolfc
Premier Member

In fairness the handbook does say the engine preheater (glowplug symbol shown) is only used below temps of -2, obviously not the -10 claimed here but even so.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:59   #5
tayandre

Unless the lamp is self testing mine comes on every cold start regardles of the ambient temp. Sometimes for one or two seconds and sometimes for 4 or 5 seconds if the temp is really low, say -5 or below. But it does always come on every cold start.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 00:17   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Have kept an eye on mine recently and even with temps of -4 shown on the display, the light comes on for about a quarter of a second which is the expected behaviour going off the handbook of a 2006 model.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 20:32   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

personally i would start with the Throttle body flap...mine refused to start on friday...throttle body sorted
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 20:51   #8
blacklab

Ninja, Did you clean the throttle flap or replace it? Mine was running lumpy when cold but after a clean it's ok.
Well worth looking at.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 21:36   #9
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Ninja, Did you clean the throttle flap or replace it? Mine was running lumpy when cold but after a clean it's ok.
Well worth looking at.
i know mine got cleaned and modified as some would put it on here
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 14:02   #10
nbuuifx

It sounds like the glow plug(s) need replacing but in these temperatures it wouldn't cause the problem you are having.

Glow plugs are used every time, but the light isn't relative to when the plugs are on. The light may light for only a second but the plugs will be on for more like 30 seconds. The light just means it is OK to start now.

I've been used to a petrol engine so I keep forgetting to wait and just start the car straight up and it starts perfectly without any time for them to heat up.

My guess from reading other posts would be the flap, they chamfer the edge of the flap to stop it sticking
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbuuifx For This Useful Post: