Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

14 S60 Sudden Misfire. with new codes

Views : 615

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2021, 16:03   #1
Chris14S60

Default 14 S60 Sudden Misfire. with new codes

Greetings Fellow Volvo Lovers,

Thanks for being here.
I have a 2014 S60 T5, up until a couple days ago, it was running like a champ.
No Mods on the car, but @125000 on the odometer.

Sorry for the long post, Putting as much as I can into it...

Driving to work in the morning, Got to a comfortable speed, let off the gas and suddenly started misfiring. Pulled over, shut it down, started it back up then limped back home. Flashing Check engine light and Slow down or shift up message on dash. In diagnostic, there was a whole lot of codes on the scanner - as to be expected.

I disconnected one coil at a time to find number 5 was not firing. And my Snap-on Scanner only showed 4 cylinders and misfire due to emissions. Misfire Counter showed "Misfire due to Emissions" " Cylinder 1,2,3 and 5"... Did not show #4.

I have replaced all the spark plugs and the number 5 Coil.

If it would have fixed it I will replace all the coils. I purchased correct plugs and coil pack from a Local Volvo Dealer. (plugs looked pretty bad some white and lower electrode tiny point very small)

After communication with my normal mechanic - Told him #5 was still misfiring after changing the Coil pack and all the plugs. He advised me to clear the codes as the computer doesn't know I changed the coil pack and it may turn off the fuel to #5.
After Clearing the Codes, I was excited that it started up smooth, but quickly started misfiring #5 again.

The Codes I get now are as follows.
P035313- Ignition Coil "C" Primary/Secondary Circuit. Circuit Open
P035513 - Ignition Coil "E" Primary/Secondary Circuit. Circuit Open
P030500 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected No Sub Type information/General Electrical Failure

I expected it to be a coil problem, Things I have left to test is swap the new coil on #5 to see if it is defective (only one the Volvo dealer had left) I am about to go do this and Check insulation around the wires for #5 Coil Connector

I cannot find any good information on P035313 or P035513

I did read in research that my Upstream O2 sensor could cause number 5 not to fire.

I am reading the worst case is a bad exhaust valve... Have to compression test to check that. (got to get a tester)
Troubled in Norwich CT...

Anyone have a suggestion

If I posted in the wrong place, please advise!

Last edited by Chris14S60; Jan 9th, 2021 at 16:08.
Chris14S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 16:49   #2
Chris14S60

Swapped Coil Packs, Still only misfiring on #5
Traced wires, found nothing obvious.
Reseated ECM Plugs and inspected pins on ECM and Connectors. Nothing to Report. Still misfiring #5.

Thinking of replacing the connector to the #5 Coil.

Edit: Going to listen to my injectors...

Last edited by Chris14S60; Jan 9th, 2021 at 17:28.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 18:17   #3
Chris14S60

Injectors all ticking away as they should. Just no spark on #5. I am Baffled, but not giving up...

Tags
s60 t5 mis fire