Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary drive belt

Views : 1145

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2013, 23:39   #11
MikeS100
Premier Member

Another good tip, thanks.

Thinking about it I'm pretty sure I don't have a 3/4 inch rachet or breaker bar but with the info on here I should be able to rig something up. I'm tempted to buy a 3/4 inch breaker bar though just to make the job easier, I have to go out to pick some bits up in the morning anyway before I start the job so I might stop off at the local motor factors and see what they've got.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:17   #12
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I've got all sizes of breaker bar, and annoyingly none of them fitted IIRC, I came to the conclusion that the hole is "metric"..... so check out the size of square hole you have before splashing out on a breaker bar if it's only for this purpose.

Mind you, breaker bars are always handy to have, so hell, go and buy one anyway! Lol.

Cheers
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:30   #13
MikeS100
Premier Member

Lol, fair point.

I've got some 1/2 inch bits but nothing 3/4 I don't think, but halfords sell a 1/2 to 3/4 inch adaptor so I will try to measure the size before I go out this morning and if it is 3/4 I will try to get one of those and use that. That's the plan anyway
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:27   #14
MikeS100
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
^^^WHS^^^

It's easy peasy Mike, 5-minute job so long as you have a decent tensioner release tool. If you don't, then get one or make one - I made mine:

Just had a look and my set up is different. Apart from there being practically no access, there is a square section sticking out from the middle of the tensioner. I read something on another post about using a spanner on the tensioner so maybe they changed the design at some point. Hopefully I will be able to get an adjustable spanner on it easily enough and just push it back.
Old May 18th, 2013, 18:13   #15
MikeS100
Premier Member

Turned out to be a 14mm bolt so got a spanner on there and moved the tensioner without too much trouble. I decided to leave the current belt on as it wasn't too bad and I didn't want the hassle of having to route a new one, so when I get the cam belt done in the next few weeks I will just get them to re-fit the new auxiliary drive belt I bought a couple of weeks ago as they will be taking the old one of anyway.

It was quite a time consuming job but as my updated thermostat thread shows I got the job done and fingers crossed it is all working properly now

Thanks for your advice on the drive belt guys