Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Genuine" radiator from Ebay not what I expected

Views : 1671

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 00:51   #1
badm88n

Unhappy "Genuine" radiator from Ebay not what I expected

Hi All,
I bought the following radiator off Ebay advertised as "Brand new Genuine Volvo Radiator S/V/C70 & XC70". This was for my 1997 V70 Tdi Auto.

Can someone please tell me if the slots cut (hacked?) in the alloy frame of the radiator are supposed to be there or not? Are they part of the manufacturing process?

I have not taken the old rad of my car and so have nothing to compare the new radiator against.

DSCN0077.JPG shows slots at top and bottom of rad
DSCN0084.JPG shows slot at top of rad
DSCN0089.JPG shows slot at bottom of rad
DSCN0071.JPG shows volvo part identifier

Let me know what you find.

Cheers
Dhillon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0077.JPG (216.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0084.JPG (74.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0089.JPG (84.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0071.JPG (102.1 KB, 81 views)
badm88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 01:09   #2
Jim760
Mr G

that doesn't look like manufacture work atall.
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 01:09   #3
andrewc1267
Master Member

does look abit dodgy i agree im going to the yard tomoz to get my personal stuff out of my crashed one i will have a look
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 01:18   #4
badm88n

@Jim - Yes looks a little shody for manufacture.
@andrew - I'd really appreciate you comparing it with the one you have mate.

Don't want to say anymore in case it turns out to be as manufactured. May take it to my local dealers in the morning to see what they make of it.

Keep your opinions coming.

Cheers
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:11   #5
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

If Volvo's manufacturing standards have slipped that far as shown in the photographs that loyal Volvo owners end up querying the authenticity of the item, then I'd have to think seriously about buying any more Volvo parts or, indeed, another Volvo.

However, I think you might have run into a 'shonk' that has either tried to modify the radiator or bought it like you, found he couldn't make it fit, and passed it off as 'brand new' on Ebay.

Unfortunately, by it's very nature, Ebay attracts all sorts of parasites who could not spell the word 'ethical' much less understand what it means. They are only out to get a quick buck.

Anyway, Ebay does have a dispute facility if you want to try and sort it out within Ebay.

Best of luck - I hope it eventually all works out O.K.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:23   #6
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Jim,

You describe your vehicle as 'the wistler'.

Is this meant to be 'whistler' or does it actually allude to the word wistful i.e. a pensive state, or longing tinged with regret?

Regards,
Brian
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:07   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi Dhillon,

Was the box that it came in unopened? If so the seller was unaware of the state of the radiator - it came from the factory like that. I bought a radiator for my 850 from Rufe last year and it was in a similar condition - see pics. FRF obviously had no idea it was like this as the factory packaging was undisturbed - it seems that you may have had a radiator out of the same batch? Rufe immediately exchanged mine for another with profuse apologies - in fact his dealing with this problem was exemplary and is why I still use him by preference today.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the item has to be of 'merchantable quality', and 'fit for purpose' - clearly this is not the case so I reckon you should have good claim to a refund - the seller will have to claim off his supplier. The only caveat with this argument is that I'm not sure if it applies to auctions I'd read the FAQs on eBays website to check this in the first instance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01001sml.jpg (134.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01002sml.jpg (89.9 KB, 76 views)
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:13   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes these slots are quite normal they are to prevent large forces being exerted on the end tank joints when the core expands as it heats . Old models dont have them and the side tanks failed prematurly . so this was volvo's quick easy answer which worked . If you look at a current cars radiator it too has slots but now designed into the radiator rather than a mod like this ..
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:29   #9
badm88n

Hi RollingThunder,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I bought a radiator for my 850 last year and it was in a similar condition - see pics.
Thanks for the pics, the damage looks the same as mine, though on mine its only cut and not bent as much. When you got your replacement rad were there any slots in the same place (top and bottom) if not as rough????

Mine is a strange case as the Ebay seller is a Volvo dealership. I actually picked the rad up, it was boxed but from closer inspection it has been reboxed (staples were loose and missing). So has been taken out and put back maybe because it was brought back by another customer?

I paid a total of £150 for it and am wondering if it is worth keeping, they are normally £250 inc vat. It was listed as brand new and it is (reboxed) but i'm not sure about the slots.

If someone can confirm the slots should be there, but in my case the cutting machine has gone a little too far, then I may decide to keep it.

Cheers All
Dhillon
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:33   #10
badm88n

Clan,
Good timing! Thats good to hear, in that case I'll be keeping it and having it fitted along with a new top hose.

Really appreciate everyone's help on the forum.

Cheers
Dhillon