Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 740gl Overdrive problem

Views : 1178

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 21:37   #1
gsauer

I appear to have a intermittant problem on my auto box 116,000mls. The overdrive only works occasionally, the dash light will stay on for days without any overdrive engagement.I can then turn the ignition on, the dash light goes out, over drive works fine for that journey. The next time I start the car, no overdrive. I have checked the button on the gear lever and that appears to work OK.
Old Sep 16th, 2002, 18:30   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: 1989 740gl Overdrive problem

Not totally conversant with the 700 overdrive but is there a relay? I dont think that the button on the gearstick is a direct on/off switch.
I think that somewhere there is a relay which kicks in when you select o/d then kicks out when you change down a gear. If this is the case there must be a further switch operated by the gearstick similar to the reverse light switch. If so its worth checking the connections underneath for corrosion. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2002, 19:14   #3
gsauer

Thanks for reply.
Not sure if there is a relay, I will have a look. The Haynes manual is of no use whatsoever, it refers to the gearstick button and little else. Only owned the car for a week, not familiar with autos. Any idea how the overdrive works, is there a solenoid that could be sticking or somthing similar.
Old Sep 16th, 2002, 23:19   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 1989 740gl Overdrive problem

The overdrive relay is the rightmost one on the second row of relays behind the fuses at the bottom of the centre console (remove ashtray for access). As the lamp and the overdrive solenoid are fed from the relay contacts, then if the lamp is on then the solenoid is engaged and the overdrive is off. It may be that the relay is loose in it's holder but it is far more likely to be in need of resoldering of it's internal connections or replacement with known good one or new one.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2002, 11:54   #5
gsauer

GS Thanks Peter, I have found the relay,will have a go at soldering connections.
I now have a more annoying problem, which likely to fairly simple to solve if you know where to look.
After a short journey I try to start the car and it won't start. There is no spark at the plug. If I leave it for 1/2 hour it starts. Sometimes it will start and then cut out after a few yards. This seems to happen mainly after the first short journey of the day. It appears to run ok once the engine has warmed up completely.
I have read in the manual, there is cold start unit, not sure what it looks like.
Thanks Graham